A couple surrounds, some gentle cleaning, a capacitor and I'm ready to listen

Those look nice, how do they sound?

Well, I wish they had control knobs for the mids and highs... great sound but very bright.....

Unfortunately they are just your standard mass produced. But they are built like tanks. Huge magnets, 1 inch thick front baffle, you could use these at a keg party....

Sounds like they are very well built, pity they are a bit bright. What are you running them with, maybe they would pair well with an early SS amp/receiver from the late 60's-early70's?

If the tweeter controls dont attenuate your treble enough - you can always construct an L-pad for the tweeter out of 2 resistors.

Would you also consider the midrange to be contributing to the brightness issue, or just the tweeter?

Sounds like they are very well built, pity they are a bit bright. What are you running them with, maybe they would pair well with an early SS amp/receiver from the late 60's-early70's?

Ya, early 90's Denon dra 635... I have a yamaha r 1000 that is (new in box) 1980... I'm hesitant to take it out...

If the tweeter controls dont attenuate your treble enough - you can always construct an L-pad for the tweeter out of 2 resistors.

Would you also consider the midrange to be contributing to the brightness issue, or just the tweeter?

It is the mid..... tweeter is fine.... the new surrounds are very thick also (OEM design)... maybe they need to be broken in..

I would like to bring the mid down... your thoughts?

I would like to bring the mid down... your thoughts?
Yep - building an L-pad is straightforward - you will just need a couple of say, 10-watt resistors per channel - read up on a site like this:

You will need to guesstimate how many dB you wanna attenuate by, and work out the resistors values from there. I'd suggest try for 6dB first, to see how it sounds.

Dont get put off by comprehensive formulae - you can just look at the pretty schematic pictures (lie I do!) and work it out from there!

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/attenuators/l-pad-attenuator.html

Ya, early 90's Denon dra 635... I have a yamaha r 1000 that is (new in box) 1980... I'm hesitant to take it out...

Yeah my guess is they would possibly sound smoother with an older (warmer sounding) unit powering them although in saying that l am not at all familiar with your Denon, l am just going by my experiences here with lots of different gear from different era's.

I have owned quite a few Yamaha's from the 80's and they generally have a brighter and cleaner sound to them that many others, the loudness feature on your R-1000 would help to dial in the correct sound for particular speakers though.

Sounds like a very good idea that slimecity proposed with the mid L pad.

Wow, how did you end up with a brand new R-1000 still in the original box?

Yeah my guess is they would possibly sound smoother with an older (warmer sounding) unit powering them although in saying that l am not at all familiar with your Denon, l am just going by my experiences here with lots of different gear from different era's.

I have owned quite a few Yamaha's from the 80's and they generally have a brighter and cleaner sound to them that many others, the loudness feature on your R-1000 would help to dial in the correct sound for particular speakers though.

Sounds like a very good idea that slimecity proposed with the mid L pad.

Wow, how did you end up with a brand new R-1000 still in the original box?

Family ..... my uncle had a business partner and they owned barber shops.. this was bought and never used... I saw it and fainted.... Obviously I managed to make a deal.

So, I was wandering around the thrift shop yesterday, and this little guy was covered in scotch tape with writing all over it. Someone had marked out their
FM stations and used white-out to mark where the knobs were supposed to be also. I cleaned it up. some DeOxit for the pots and very gently used cleaner to remove all the marks....... Guess who likes each other??? Yup!, the pioneer speakers above and this little amp..... I think they're in love. What a great sound, so smooth and warm.... Amazing how different all the audio stuff really is.....

How can you tell it's more like 40?

Just my ears... I have had a variety of amps with different watt ratings and I used to do live sound so I have a good grasp on decibel and its relationship to the
power.... I could be totally wrong... but I'm not here to claim genius hood! LOL I've had some of those little amps by Pyle that claim 45 watts and they are more like 10-15...

Just my ears... I have had a variety of amps with different watt ratings and I used to do live sound so I have a good grasp on decibel and its relationship to the
power.... I could be totally wrong... but I'm not here to claim genius hood! LOL I've had some of those little amps by Pyle that claim 45 watts and they are more like 10-15...

So the HK sounds 3dB louder than a 20 watt amplifier? At all volume settings, or just at maximum?

I am under the impression that a 20 watt amp and a 40 watt amp are putting out exactly the same amount of power at a given loudness, assuming the same speakers and no clipping.

The ability to gauge an amplifier's rated output by ear is impressive.

SYNERGY my son--SYNERGY!!! Some things just "don't play well with others", and some "strange bedfellows" make beautiful music. It's all part of the game.

I hear you, and can appreciate what you are saying about watts, and hearing the difference (and I also have done pro-audio work before). A small Crown MacroTech will blow the doors off of anything Behringer or Pyle can build.

Back
Top Bottom