Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

WSMW through a HH Scott 342-C driving a pair of Advent Legacy IIs just using a t-bar antenna. Was listening for hours until it just got noticeably quieter. Lost the right channel. Moving the volume or tapping on top brings it in and out so have to hunt the intermittent connection. Just set DC and bias on the Yamaha CR-800 have to shift to it and the KLH Model 17s in the work room.
IMG_20180518_232747.jpg

Yup. As someone who primarily listens to music through the PC...it's a neat way of maintaining traditional radio listening. Though if I was serious I'd need to put up a real FM antenna. A dipole/doublet designed for the 40m ham band running through a tuner that's only designed to work up to 6m doesn't make for a very good antenna at 88 - 108 mhz.

I also forgot to mention...it's more involved, but you can listen to the SCA subcarriers on FM stations with this. You have to send a full-bandwidth demodulated FM baseband in to a second SDR program to further tune the subcarriers....but it does work.

I picked up the 14bit RSP1A several months back. It is actually quite astonishing in it's abilities and sounds exceptional when connected to a good DAC. I recently hooked it up to my external FM omni and compared it to the CT-7000. In general, not as musically satisfying but not by a large gap. On very difficult channels I was able to get a satisfactory audio experience on the SDR that the Yamaha could not touch. Also, the SDR is a lot of run and you can play with most any frequency 1kHz through LF, MW, HF, VHF, UHF and L- band to 2GHz (assuming the right antenna etc).

Probably the most audio/tuner fun for little coin I have found in recent years!

Thanks. Hadn't seen much use up with the SA-9500II in the bedroom system, so thought I'd bring it down to the main setup for tonight.

Now listening through a recent acquisition: Marantz ST-64.

Picked it up at GoodWill. Not too shabby. Has Wide/Narrow Fine Tuning (50kHz step) 8 presets each for AM/FM (stores bandwidth selection info too). all for $10. When I eventually get back into slinging solder this winter, I'm sure sound can be improved in the signal path, but that must wait.

Aretha Franklin songs on WBGO FM 88.3 from Newark New Jersey...on my NAD 4020 tuner thru Dynaco A-25 speakers...coming in loud & clear with BIC Beambox antenna...LINN Wakonda preamp & LINN LK140 amp...RIP Aretha.

If you're talking about the tuner at the bottom of the stack, it's my recapped T-85. And I like it, especially after I had it aligned by PunkerX.

DSC_4035.jpg

I routinely listen to KNKX FM 90.3 for its jazz content. The tuner is a Carver TX-11b. I am pretty happy with this particular tuner.
Where I am at, I am restricted to indoor antenna's. Apartment living, etc. So I have a Folded dipole up on the wall which receives the best (so far) out of several different diy indoor antenna designs and attempts made.
My location, Raymond, Wa, is remote and the mix of stations available to me is quite different from what I had available in the Seattle area from where I moved. A number of stations I receive are based in Aberdeen. I can just barely pull in KINK, based in Portland. (101.9fm)

-Steve

Since our son - and his computer and his gaming systems - departed for college, I've been building a little stereo in the front bedroom out of odds and sods I've had lying around. The front bedroom gets the best radio reception in our house, which is unfortunately situated close enough to my little town's tallest hill to be a problem.

I tried the little Sony but switched it out for my Magnum Dynalab F11, which surprisingly gets just about as good reception and sounds better, I think. Neither one can work miracles; I'm still limited in what I can pick up. But it's good to have a tuner in a useful place, and tonight I'm dialing back and forth between syndicated jazz on the mighty NCPR out of Canton NY (though I get the translator they put up in my little town) and classical on WCNY FM out of Syracuse. Not a bad way to spend my night.

Here's a picture of my little stereo, minus the two JohnBlue 3 speakers. For anyone keeping track, that's an old Sony blu-ray player I use for CDs; the Magnum Dynalab; a KingRex T amplifier with a USB input; a Raspberry Pi running PiCorePlayer.

s.

the little stereo.jpg

Listening to 91.5, the local PBS affiliate and their Saturday night fare. The tuner, which is excellent, is built into my Denon AVR-3803 receiver. My antenna is an outside straight wire strung between my house and carport. It does the job but I'm planning to soon put a real FM antenna on my roof.

listening to the many moods of ben vaughn in a variety of places:

upload_2018-9-22_23-28-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-22_23-22-17.png
    upload_2018-9-22_23-22-17.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 5
  • upload_2018-9-22_23-23-49.png
    upload_2018-9-22_23-23-49.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 5
Listening to Jazz on KNKX on my CT-7000 through their powerful tower on Tiger Mountain in the Puget Sound area.

Back
Top Bottom