Official AK fishing thread

I got to E. Portal Weir, and it was getting dark. I was at my truck, and, thought I'd give a few casts, and sweeping streamer retrieve. The fly was down deep, when suddenly, it stopped, and, things just sent really heavy. Then I felt a head thump, and I set the hook.
I had a good fifteen minute toug of war with this guy before i finally got him to hand. I had no net, so, i guided him into my hand, and lifted him in an 'upside down" grasp; meaning belly up towards my thumb, and dorsal fin at my fingers. In this upside down grasp, fish will turn to mush, and easily lifted from the water.

I've fished through this water, and this hole many times. I've caught some nice fish, but, the hole is so deep, with a good current flow that prevents deep drifts. I've often wnodered about som of the big ones that I've seen lurking in it.
View attachment 1256422View attachment 1256423

My E. Portal Weir, Big Water Brown,..
Some beautiful fish and scenery! Amazing!

Screenshot_20180813-122713.png Screenshot_20180813-122727.png Screenshot_20180813-122702.png Here's my weekend catches I got a decent rainbow trout... For a small Creek in summer here, a small brown Trout. Then switched gears and whent out with the guys from work to lake St.Clair, hunting big Smallmouths, I got the biggest of the day 5 lbs11 oz.....we where after 7 lbers none this weekend.

View attachment 1259923 View attachment 1259925 View attachment 1259927 Here's my weekend catches I got a decent rainbow trout... For a small Creek in summer here, a small brown Trout. Then switched gears and whent out with the guys from work to lake St.Clair, hunting big Smallmouths, I got the biggest of the day 5 lbs11 oz.....we where after 7 lbers none this weekend.
Nice! Pretty little brown. When fishing with my buddies, we used to put money in a pot and split it between the first and biggest.
Watching this thread makes me want to get out and catch some fish!

A couple of more random Utah trip pics.
Provo River brown, Orvis #3:
View attachment 1256792
A nice cutthroat. Not sure why, but I had a heavy stick out that day:
View attachment 1256793

And, this is a spring creek in south-central Ut., near Capitol Reef area. The ground that I'm sitting on was a floating mass, with deeply undercut banks. If I tried to walk, vibrations went wide, and the fish stayed down. So, it was a sit and wait for fish to emerge from the undercuts and start to feed.
View attachment 1256794 View attachment 1256795
Such beauty both fish and landscape! I'M gonna try and pick up a shorter around 7foot or so 2 or 3wt rod. Having alot of trouble with trees we got alot of trees and tight spaces here, both getting to a location, I. E. Underbrush, and getting clean casts in.

Very pretty trout. That second brown is a hefty one! One of my resolutions is to get out fishing some this year- I'll get my first resident senior license in my state since I'll turn 65 in the fall.

Last edited:
Very pretty trout. That second brown is a hefty one! One of my resolutions is to get out fishing some this year- I'll get my first resident senior license in my state since I'll turn 65 in the fall.
Thanks this has been my first real good year catching trout here in Michigan with the fly rod. I keep my hands wet quickly release them....to pretty to eat for me.

I worked a lot this year, and we got close to 70 inches of rain, a record, which kept the rivers high and muddy. So I didn't get out nearly as much as I wanted. It was tough thinking about fishing and not doing it. So I did what any of you all would do, bought something else to fish out of. I have a canoe and a kayak already, but needed something for big, rougher water. It's a Hobie Mirage Outback. They use foot pedals instead of a paddle. It's set up with a fish finder and some other mods for trolling in the bay. Damn thing is heavy, I will need to make or buy a cart to move it to the pickup, and make a bed extender because it's long.
Hopefully this year will include about 10,000 more casts.

kayakhobie.jpg

I worked a lot this year, and we got close to 70 inches of rain, a record, which kept the rivers high and muddy. So I didn't get out nearly as much as I wanted. It was tough thinking about fishing and not doing it. So I did what any of you all would do, bought something else to fish out of. I have a canoe and a kayak already, but needed something for big, rougher water. It's a Hobie Mirage Outback. They use foot pedals instead of a paddle. It's set up with a fish finder and some other mods for trolling in the bay. Damn thing is heavy, I will need to make or buy a cart to move it to the pickup, and make a bed extender because it's long.
Hopefully this year will include about 10,000 more casts.

View attachment 1372392
Nice Yak, I do alot of paddle kayak fishing here.

Nice fish everybody. I had the week off work, went out fishing 4 times so far and got skunked every time. First two times were for steelhead and the second two for some ice out pike on Lake St Clair. St Clair was pretty murky both times, kind of a bummer as the water is usually gin clear. I might head out again this evening and see if my luck changes.

Back
Top Bottom