RS 2.5 Foam from PE.

Infinity nutcase.
Thanks to Jim for posting that link, anyone wondering what you get here you go, this is 1 inch, perfect and I like the texture on the front, it mimics the original.
IMG_2159.JPG
IMG_2160.JPG
IMG_2162.JPG

Have a great day.

It really looks great !

And I want to say Thanks to you, Jim, Army, max millions and everyone who has shared their Infinity experiences in this forum. Using the Search feature has given me countless hours of great reading :thumbsup:. I highly recommend anyone who has Infinity Speakers to give it a try on any model, there is some very in depth knowledge shared here.

Here's a pic of mine on the restoration trail, one on the left has the new foam.

IMG_2177.JPG

I figured I better post these 2 closeup pictures showing that the 1" thickness of the foam, you'll notice it's even with the frame of the grill. I'll be repairing and recovering these and then this shot would be impossible. More or less making it a level panel.
IMG_2178.JPG
IMG_2179.JPG

If anyone still has the factory foam I'd love to see a few pictures shot at the same angle of the foam coming up to the Emim driver.

I figured I better post these 2 closeup pictures showing that the 1" thickness of the foam, you'll notice it's even with the frame of the grill. I'll be repairing and recovering these and then this shot would be impossible. More or less making it a level panel.
View attachment 1253502
View attachment 1253503

If anyone still has the factory foam I'd love to see a few pictures shot at the same angle of the foam coming up to the Emim driver.
Looks good, just right.

Nice work, be sure to post some pics and what you think of the sound compared to your other Infinitys when they are all done.

Will do, I guess this may turn into a somewhat restoration project thread.

Grills drying in the Las Vegas sun, I went in and fell asleep and could barely touch these when I woke, and in the office cooling down, some sanding, paint and recover will be next.
IMG_2188.JPG IMG_2189.JPG

And today with Red Flag happening I've got B52's over the house, sure reminds me of Guam, I'll try to get a pic for you guys.

Up and running ;) !
IMG_2202.JPG
That was the only grill in 1 piece.
The other one,
IMG_2199.JPG
And all is new again, thank goodness he kept it so I had the original emblem.
IMG_2200.JPG
IMG_2201.JPG

And Thank you Jazz, you saw these so you know how much work is really happening here.
And the first upper grills, repaired painted and one recovered
IMG_2197.JPG
IMG_2198.JPG

Last edited:
BIG is about all I can give right now, doing Sirius Lithium channel thru the stack, Anthem, Crown, British tubes.

I think I'm running up against the same thing like the QLS-1, where the living room is to small. I've really got to find a quad set of Amperex 6922 PQ's before I can do some real critical listening.

The Bass, drums on these Watkins are phenomenal, the top end is very good but I need to get further away, they dominate my small space. I haven't tried them with the Krell and other tube pre which has some very good Gold Lion tubes. The idea was to fix these up and sell them to recoup some cash for our 2B's but I can tell you now that's probably not happening.

A suggestion from the bleachers the wood composite used on the sides of RS2.5's grills
overtime looses its integrity and really needs to be totally replaced rather than patched.

Any remaining sections other than the top and bottom curved pieces will break on fall apart eventually.

Having done a total rebuild on these its a fair bit of work but really the only long term solution.

Agree totem, I think these spent most if not all of their life in the southwest desert, the wood is still very stiff and in good shape. These I believe we're broken from plain abuse or not caring, tip over on one. I'll never understand how Infinity Speakers get treated so harshly. Works in my favor because it makes them easier to get. Anyway I didn't feel it warranted a complete rebuild, they'll be fine in my possession.

They are done, except I think I'm going to make a small cover for the top controls. Pics coming soon.

So now I have to ask, did you recap with the complete rebuild ?

I have two grills top grills that are broken and two that aren’t. I need to repair them but for now they are on the backsides...the rest of the particle board on mine seems pretty sturdy. Nice work on those.

Those look great. I think you will really like those. They are a little brighter than the RSIIb with very good slam especially in a medium to smallish room. Maybe my favorite rock and roll speaker.

Back
Top Bottom