Altec 604E ... going to be buying them in 2 days...

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
I have a contact that wants to sell his 604E Altecs. They have been stored in a shed for over 30 years. The pair have the N-1500-A crossovers and are mounted in cabinets. I think it is dry storage.

I will be bringing an amp and testing them the best I can with a 30+ x-over installed.

What should I look/listen for?
Advice or any esoteric knowledge specific to the 604E system?

I will post the only pics I have of them...

Last edited:
Got em!

IMG_0149.JPG Here they are still in the trailer... that's my 4yo. He was a great helper!

IMG_0148.JPG The cabinets were made by the sellers uncle. Here are the networks at two different heights.... hmm.

IMG_0152.JPG They have been stored in a barn/ loafing shed for about 30ish years. They were wrapped in plastic, but the sun did a number on one side of one.

IMG_0151.JPG Solid walnut tops have split. They were never stained or shellacked. It's amazing how light colored the walnut has aged to.

IMG_0147.JPGIn trailer. IMG_0154.JPG Out of trailer.

~ 15 cubic feet each, like an apartment sized fridge!

Inside pics to come.

I really like the look of those cabinets! You have found something very exceptional with that 604 load. Standing by for a listening test. So folks, items like these are still out there. Keep your eyes and ears open.

Amazing. Those cabinets are just beautiful. It always strikes me that the original owners were so dedicated to their music that they invested lots of money in these pieces. Macyjrm was right that there are still some discoveries out there, and these prove it. Can't wait to see those famished, thirsty cabinets receive the treatment they need to renew the wood. They're beautiful, as is, but wow . . . . !

GeeDeeEmm

Well you have found a real gold mine. You can either choose to restore the crossovers or replace them with the new set additions with the latest diaphragms. Either way you really struck gold.

Amazing. Those cabinets are just beautiful. It always strikes me that the original owners were so dedicated to their music that they invested lots of money in these pieces. Macyjrm was right that there are still some discoveries out there, and these prove it. Can't wait to see those famished, thirsty cabinets receive the treatment they need to renew the wood. They're beautiful, as is, but wow . . . . !

GeeDeeEmm

These cabinets were made by the sellers uncle in 1966. The seller remembers helping his uncle in the shop. His uncle always intended on a Linseed Oil treatment, but was caught up too much in the sound:). Once they made it inside and were hooked to a rig, Uncle forgot all about the finish . Love it!
Seller thinks they were used for less than 5 years before moved to storage for an out of state move.
I think I'll try to complete the cabs with the linseed...

Last edited:
Well you have found a real gold mine. You can either choose to restore the crossovers or replace them with the new set additions with the latest diaphragms. Either way you really struck gold.

Right now I'm just thinking restore the crossovers. Is a 15 cubic foot cab right for these? I've been all over the interwebs from 620 to Stonehenge... seems like a lot of different cab designs for these. ?

Nice find!!!

Here's the Karma...
Last month I saw an ad on FB marketplace, it was an audio gem that I wanted, and was way under priced. I contacted the seller and offered him 3x what his asking price was. Bought it. At pick up time, he told me about the HUGE speakers in his family's shed . I said "sure, I'll check them out, call me"

He called, and now these are in my garage...:)
good karma

Right now I'm just thinking restore the crossovers. Is a 15 cubic foot cab right for these? I've been all over the interwebs from 620 to Stonehenge... seems like a lot of different cab designs for these. ?

I think Vas for the 604-E is 19 cu ft, 15 is close which is good .

A big cabinet will give you extended bass response.....No wonder why the the origional
owner was caught up with the sound and not the finish.

Altec recommended dampening material top inside, back inside and one side,
but season to taste. It reduces internal reflections mid-range frequencies.

Here's the Karma...
Last month I saw an ad on FB marketplace, it was an audio gem that I wanted, and was way under priced. I contacted the seller and offered him 3x what his asking price was. Bought it. At pick up time, he told me about the HUGE speakers in his family's shed . I said "sure, I'll check them out, call me"

He called, and now these are in my garage...:)
good karma
Check out my thread I posted just now with my 604b find.i also found it on Facebook marketplace.

Wow those cabinets look fantastic,and 15 cuft is very good ,I had my 604 in many cabs and I felt 15 cuft had the best bass ,rotate the drivers and play them at low volume for a few days till the surrounds and spider gets their groove back,then slowly plan some wiring and crossovers improvements like the Jeff markawart crossover ,I am sure you will ge the cabs sorted out soon,and hopefully there are no leaks.
Have fun

Wow those cabinets look fantastic,and 15 cuft is very good ,I had my 604 in many cabs and I felt 15 cuft had the best bass ,rotate the drivers and play them at low volume for a few days till the surrounds and spider gets their groove back,then slowly plan some wiring and crossovers improvements like the Jeff markawart crossover ,I am sure you will ge the cabs sorted out soon,and hopefully there are no leaks.
Have fun
Right on. Thanks!
The only leaks are in the top, where the solid walnut split. I've already filled the top, and glued the inside.
I've read about phase correcting Markawart crossovers, but to start I'll just recap and check the resistors and inductors. I'll rotate the drivers 180 tomorrow, great advice! Thanks!

I think Vas for the 604-E is 19 cu ft, 15 is close which is good .

A big cabinet will give you extended bass response.....No wonder why the the origional
owner was caught up with the sound and not the finish.

Altec recommended dampening material top inside, back inside and one side,
but season to taste. It reduces internal reflections mid-range frequencies.

I was trying to figure out why only one side had dampening...

19 cu ft!
I don't know where I'm going to put these, and all my listening rooms are in the basement :confused:

Back
Top Bottom