What McIntosh Gear Are You Using?

IMG_20180619_012541962.jpg Living Room "vintage" system:
C28
MR78
MC2155
Generic Tube amp.
Sennheiser HD650's
(No speakers)

I finally got all the squawks and quirks out of the gear after it had been in storage (or something)
for an apparently long time. The only thing left now is the occasional weirdness in the C28 volume pot,
which I've been advised to live with for as long as possible. I've got a new pot that's guaranteed to be better than the
original, but I've read the many threads about how that's almost never the case. Tapping the pot (from the front)
generally makes it behave for a week or three, so that's where it's at for now. I'll post a picture soon.

Last edited:
My C52 running through freshly restored MC2100 has almost everything I want. But a used MC452 is on the radar in a few months. Any offers on a one owner lightly used 275 Mk5 with Gold Lions?
(Still listening to IMAGINATION by BB Mr Wilson. What a hoot!)

Mac 1500. Bought gone over from a used audio store in Berkeley early 2000's. Took off the wood case. There is a little bubbling on the tuner glass decal, and I added a nos knob that was missing. Liking what I'm getting with the (modded) Klipsch fortes. Headphone out gets a lot of use as well.

mcintosh%20denon%20klipsch%202.jpg

Last edited:
Two MC2100 soled state slow transistor amps, fully restored by Tom Manley and Terry DeWick, C15 Preamp, MC301 SACD Player, Thorens TD125 w/ SME 3009 tonearm and Ortofon SM Black Diamond, two DCM Time Windows, two Altec Valencia 846As, Squeezebox internet radio, TIDAL music stream through AudioEngine B1 DAC, housed in Jens Quistgaard rosewood vintage media credenza.

unnamed-4.jpg unnamed-1.jpg

Hi
I am new here!
I am a McIntosh user. I own a nice C26 and a MC7100W perfect mach IMO. the MC7100W is wider than the C26 but both look great and sound terrific.

Last edited:
A mint, restored MX-110z, with original Walnut case and pan-locs. Sporting all Telefunken NOS tubes, except the 6D10, NOS GE there.

With 2 MC240’s running strapped for each channel. The 240’s both have Matched quads of 6L6 RCA Black Plate’s, and NOS Telefunkens for the 12AX7,AU7, and BH7’s

I use both a Micro Seiki DD-40 with an MA-505 tonearm and Denon DL-110, and a Thorens TD-121 with an Ortofon SMG-212 with a Denon DL-103r or SPU GTe MC cart.

Also use a Denon CD player and the Maverick Dac Magic second version.(great deal) and sounds better than a couple I paid 5 times more for. That’s why they’re gone. Try it, streams my Hi-Res and sounds delicious, and it easily upgradeable.

These play through some Modded Klipsch “Super Heresy”(google it) or Restored Bozak 302a’s with the Tobin mods.

I use Ven Den Hul interconnects and home brew OFC AU plated speaker cable.

Best system I’ve had yet. Have 0 want to upgrade anything.

Here’s an older pic, before I built my rack. I’ll post those pics when home.

Attachments

• 160941F9-082D-49F6-B030-AFABD40C8CA3.png
    160941F9-082D-49F6-B030-AFABD40C8CA3.png
    436.8 KB · Views: 46
Ahhh the McIntosh slippery slope. All vintage gear. An Audio Classics MX110Z, Yves Beauvais restored MC30’s, MC2105, C27, CR7 Remote system. Rega P3 and ifi dsd micro dac.

Speakers are my weak point but in all honesty, I’m enjoying the heck out of them. Affordable Accuracy models from Dennis and the disliked Infinity SM112’s. I did add new foam surrounds, braced and reinforced the cabs and added acoustic foam inside and they aren’t that bad. I do have some Heresy’s I may obtain soon but not losing sleep over it.

I also have an MX112 that needs a going over and an MC250 in the family room with another CR7 remote. The MC2100 I just purchased not workIng, did a full cap job, filter caps and multicap, few resistors and all new output transistors, a cool project I thoroughly enjoyed...

97AE36C4-AEC6-4942-BBA5-11C0A97B84E0.jpeg
74B55C4B-F35C-4CD8-99D9-060851E7209A.jpeg
C45D5A96-CECF-4733-B1BF-EC95A941AF39.jpeg
697E29E3-BC16-4DA8-9E23-5634F1A79D7A.jpeg

System 1:

MC 601
MC 601
C1100
D1100
MCT 450
MPC 1500
VPI Aries 3
Lyra Argo i
Nakamichi CR-7A cassette deck
Acoustic Zen Matrix Ref II interconnect
XLO Electric Reference 3 interconnect
Nordost TYR 2.5m speaker cable

System 2:

MC 501
MC 501
C500t
MPC 1500
Simaudio Supernova CD
Denon D65L table
Denon 103R cart
Magneplanar 1.7
Audioquest interconnects and speaker cables

System 3:

EICO HF-12 (mono integrated)...fully restored, 14w, EL 84
EICO HF-12 (mono integrated)...same
Zu Audio Omen
OPPO BD-203
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon table
Random left over cables for other systems

Ahhh the McIntosh slippery slope. All vintage gear. An Audio Classics MX110Z, Yves Beauvais restored MC30’s, MC2105, C27, CR7 Remote system. Rega P3 and ifi dsd micro dac.

Speakers are my weak point but in all honesty, I’m enjoying the heck out of them. Affordable Accuracy models from Dennis and the disliked Infinity SM112’s. I did add new foam surrounds, braced and reinforced the cabs and added acoustic foam inside and they aren’t that bad. I do have some Heresy’s I may obtain soon but not losing sleep over it.

]

@Gearjunky nice stuff man! Hey, only because you said speakers were your weak point, then mentioned Heresy’s. You should pick those up, google “Super Heresy”. There’s a thread you’ll find, from another forum. Sorry
With some easy,, and relatively cost effective, mods that take the Heresy to the next level. Some of the nicest speakers I’ve heard.
Just an idea, I bet your system sounds great as is.
Just an idea, as the Super Heresy, or any Klipsch Heritage sound GREAT with Mac power feeding them.

Thanks Treyphan for the Super Heresy info, definitely interesting. I’m a DIY’er and I like to perform mods so could be up my alley..

I’m also thinking about the KLF 10 from Klipsch too. Down the road I will pull the trigger on something.

@Gearjunky, no prob! Not sure where you’re located, but if you’re ever near SouthEast Michigan. You’re welcome to check em out. Always willing to show a fellow Mc/Klipsch fan.
They sound killer, and all the “mods” are Klipsch parts. The Eminence woofer is the same as the Klipsch k-42, they’re the OE for it. And the Tweeter, which isn’t totally necessary is made for and used by Klipsch in some of the new heritage models. So it’s still a “Klipsch”, not just any old frankenspeaker. Lol
Anyway, you’ve got A LOT of great gear. I’m sure whatever direction you go speaker wise, you’ll be pleased!

On another note, after stacking both Mc240’s with NOS Matched Quads of RCA Black Plates, NOS matched pairs of Telefunken12AX7’s, NOS Telefunken 12AU7’s and NOS RCA Black plate 12BH7’s.
I decided to try “rolling” the V1 12AX7 spot between NOS Mullards, Amperex Bugle Boys, and the previously mentioned Tele’s.

While all 3 sounded stellar, the Tele’s are my pick. They’re just better across the whole spectrum. Not by a ton, the Mullards were 2, and the Amperex were 3rd(surprisingly)

I may try to add more Mullard and Amperex tubes in the other locations, perhaps the Tele’s effected sound. Again, I’d be tickled with any of the three. Splitting hairs here. Just some tube advice/opinion’s imho.

All I know is, newer tubes just don’t sound as good in a 240. I know I know...Macs circuit isn’t supposed to be picky with tubes, and it isn’t. I’m just saying, there was an audible difference with Sovtek output tubes, mixed with an array of cheap Eastern Block and Asian current or recent production tubes.

It’s worth the extra $ to pop for the Vintage US or Euro tubes in something as classic as a Mc240.
In the MX-110z I have all NOS Tele’s, except the 6D10 has a NOS GE(sometimes a Raytheon, which I think is a rebranded Ge) and the 6U8’s are NOS GE. Can’t find my Tele’s...I will tho...one day. Lol
This tube selection has brought me what I find to be the best sound for “strapped” MC240’s with an MX110Z, in MY system.

I don’t see much info out there about this configuration. I’ve searched. So I figured I’d put my opionion out there. Apparently there aren’t too many people running MC240’s in mono. Which surprises me. With as many out there as there are, and some people feeling the vintage Mc tube amps don’t have enough power. A restored strapped Mc240 will give a 100 watts a channel. 100 Mc tube watts will power ALOT of speakers. I’ve run 88db 4 ohm B&W’s to concert level without a hint of distortion or “stress” on the amps. AR3’s too. Not exactly “efficient” speakers.

Lemme tell ya, with a Set of Klispch heritage soeakers like Cornwall’s, LaScala’s or my Super Heresy’s. It’s killer, all those being above 102db.
I’ve got a set of Bozak 302a’s I did the “Tobin” mods on. Those are about the best damn midrange on earth with Mac tubes. I actually working on a Mod to integrate some ESS HEIl AMT tweeters, which is the “weak spot” if there is one on those ole Bozaks. Rudy really made some stellar speakers. Haven’t hooked the 240’s to my Quads yet. Still need to do that, I just love those with my Carver setup.

Anyway, I’ve had a few “pops” today. So I’m getting off track and thread hi-jacking. So I’ll leave it with this.

Regarding Vintage 6L6 McIntosh tube amps. If you want a nice NOS US tube, go with the GE’s, like Steve Hoffman recommends. It’ll save you some cash, and they’re awesome. I mean, everyone should at least hear or try some RCA BlackPlates and see what they sound like on their system. I love em, most due, some say they’re over rated, or a “guitar players tube”....that gives to much “high end”.

I’m not in that camp. I think the highs are sweet and sparkly, not harsh at all. Maybe their amps need attention? Or maybe it’s system or hearing differences. Most likely. The Bass Punch is also DRASTICALLY improved in my system. Now the mids, well....I live for them. As PWK said, “we live in the midrange”. I’m not sure I’m sacrificing much, but I do notice a more pronounced midrange with my NOS GE 6L6’s in. Perhaps it’s better, or the less pronounced highs and bass are the reason. Not that they are bad with the GE, just different than the BlackPlates.
I’ll also throw out Vintage NOS Sylvania as a choice. Kinda between a GE and an RCA. At any rate, this is all “splitting hairs”, as they all sound stellar and relay the “Big Mac sound”!

I do however prefer the Vintage Mac to the New Mac tube offerings. This the MC275 V sitting unused in my basement. I’ll break it out someday. Lol

Last edited:
Western burbs of Chicago, thx for the invite and I’ll keep it mind!
I don’t tube roll too much, I usually find what works and leave it, but that’s just me. I do get caught up in it from time to time but I try to escape so I can listen to the music play.
The MC30’s have Tele ax7’s, rca 12bh7, rca clear top au7’s, GE 6L6gc and rca rectifyer. Teles and rca’s for the mx110z too, all NOS/ANOS
I basically went off what S. Hoffman recommended on tubes for those units and I’m pleased with it for sure.

Western burbs of Chicago, thx for the invite and I’ll keep it mind!
I don’t tube roll too much, I usually find what works and leave it, but that’s just me. I do get caught up in it from time to time but I try to escape so I can listen to the music play.
The MC30’s have Tele ax7’s, rca 12bh7, rca clear top au7’s, GE 6L6gc and rca rectifyer. Teles and rca’s for the mx110z too, all NOS/ANOS
I basically went off what S. Hoffman recommended on tubes for those units and I’m pleased with it for sure.

Well I’m Sure they sound great with those tubes. I had left the tubes as is for awhile once I found a set I liked. Lately though, well I discovered a local “Tube Guy”, who’s older and has an amazing stash of tubes. He’s been very good to me with prices, and his tubes are always good to go and tested in front of me. So I’ve gone a bit “roll crazy”. Lol I mean, he knows what he has, and I’m still paying up, so to speak, but he sure ain’t charging $499 per single Tele 12AX7, like some places on the web. My god....people pay that? It would be $1500 alone for the 3 in a 240? Lol someone must pay it though.

Steve Hoffman’s rec’s Are spot on, for McIntosh amps, and well......just about everything! What a guy to share all that knowledge free. I make sure to try and get every Hoffman mastering I can. Dude is definitely a “Golder Ear”, if there ever was one. I used his rec’s myself when I first got the amps. I’m interested in a Pair of MC30’s, and hope to own some one day.
They’re just stellar amps! I’ve heard many.

Those GE 6L6’s are THE “midrange Magic” tube for sure. I have a couple quads, I rotate em out. The RCA BlackPlates are just what I’m feeling atm. Whatever the tubes, Vintage Mac’s bring the best out, as you know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom