Just got an Eico ST-70

Justgotohm

I picked this ST-70 up with a load of other gear. The large caps have been replaced and was fully checked out and serviced. I currently have it paired with some Dynaco A25’s that I recapped and freshened up.
I’ve had a lot of fun listening to this set up, the lowend is plenty strong, while the A25’s don’t go all the way to 20khz they sound great with the ST-70. I’ve so far just used my phone with a line level matching transformer.
871EE883-FC72-4C19-86B2-C98FB8F813CF.jpeg 0C77DA99-3212-4236-A90D-FFB1C80B0AAA.jpeg

I picked this ST-70 up with a load of other gear. The large caps have been replaced and was fully checked out and serviced. I currently have it paired with some Dynaco A25’s that I recapped and freshened up.
I’ve had a lot of fun listening to this set up, the lowend is plenty strong, while the A25’s don’t go all the way to 20khz they sound great with the ST-70. I’ve so far just used my phone with a line level matching transformer.
View attachment 1263610 View attachment 1263611
Nice...looks new... mine had an amber pilot lamp.. seems like all knobs looked like the volume control. That was my first amp. Bought it in kit form from Allied Radio in 1966-67, worked all night and day assembling it.. adjusted the bias and hooked it to my new Utah Heritage III three way floorstanders, also from the Knight catalogue, and listened to my new Garrard Lab 80 Mk II bought from White Front department store. Worked just fine till the day I, sadly, sold it at a garage sale many years later. I built it during my senior year of high school. I had the best stereo among any of my friends whose parents had Magnavox, RCA, Philco, Zenith, etc. consoles... a few had KLH and other assorted decent compacts. The opening of The Doors 'Break on Through' sounded very good.

Consider rebuilding the PECs in the tone controls with discrete parts. I've fond that with my Eico ST40 and it made a big difference.

I will end up selling this one. I usually listen to tube gear I plan on selling for a few weeks so I can honestly and accurately give a description. I have a Dynaco ST-70 matched up to a Mac C24 I prefer over this integrated.
I am surprised at how well it pairs to the A25’s, I do plan on pairing it up with some larger speakers and have a go.
I had read about switching some parts out in the tone circuits for cleaner signal path, I can see where this would make this a really sweet integrated.

I will end up selling this one. I usually listen to tube gear I plan on selling for a few weeks so I can honestly and accurately give a description. I have a Dynaco ST-70 matched up to a Mac C24 I prefer over this integrated.
I am surprised at how well it pairs to the A25’s, I do plan on pairing it up with some larger speakers and have a go.
I had read about switching some parts out in the tone circuits for cleaner signal path, I can see where this would make this a really sweet integrated.

Doesn't surprise me about the A25s I'm pretty sure they were voiced with tube amps in mind.

The power amp section of the Eico ST-70 is rather good, the preamp not so much IMO. I built a power amp only version for a friend who had the output transformers. It sounds really great. In fact he sold a couple of other amps he likes it so well.
Have fun,
John

Bias instructions from Pg 10-11 of the manual:

Eico bias 1 .png

Eico bias 2 .png

Eico bias 3 .png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom