Dolby Atmos - Thoughts . . .

damacman

Resident Psycho
I've had Atmos in my space for a few years now. I've also amassed quite a collection of Dolby Atmos titles on Bluray. It's becoming increasingly apparent to me that the technology surpasses the ability of the sound engineers in many cases. There are some real standouts:

Everest
MI5
Only the Brave
xXx: Return of Xander Cage
etc.

Each of these films makes really good use of the height channels to make you feel as if you were on set. These films simply have to be experienced in Atmos to be believed.

In addition, there are some music discs that are simply mind blowing:

Roger Waters The Wall
Kraftwerk 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I find that many of the films mixed in Atmos have two shortcomings:

1 - Some films make gimmicky use of the height channels, while others sound as if they've been converted from some other format into Atmos just to get the label on the box. I guess I don't understand the latter as most quality AVRs or AVPs have the ability to upconvert non-Atmos soundtracks via Dolby Surround, which is really quite good. Soundtracks that are mixed from the word go to maximize the use of the object based format really standout - which seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Why is that?

2 - LFE channel isn't nearly what it could be. Loud? Yes. Boosted at 60-80Hz? Yes. My shit can play flat to 15Hz. Give me an LFE channel that will shake my foundations and let my gear be the determining factor of whether or not I get the full effect. I'm disappointed that the LFE track on so many movies (generally speaking) is recorded in such a way so that all the fake bass can be reproduced by those with cheap little black boxes outfitted with plate amplifiers that won't play a lick below 35Hz so they don't feel left out. The INXS Kick Box set is the worst offender here - the LFE is so grossly boosted and exaggerated on the normal music tracks that you'll think you got a defective disc. The video tracks are much better in regard, but the center frequency of the boosting is still unnaturally high. Give me the natural mix, as it was recorded please.

If you want to see exactly what I'm talking about, just pop in the Dolby Atmos sampler Bluray and surf through it. OMG - the folks that produced it at Dolby Laboratories did so in effort to showcase the format's capability. The LFE track will flap your pant legs and shake the foundation of your home on nearly every single excerpt. Height and surround channels are utilized in such a way that you don't feel like sound is coming from them. Rather, the sound comes from the space between all of the speakers in an incredibly convincing fashion.

Rumor has it that The Matrix release on 4K has an epic Atmos mix. So, I can't wait to check that out. In the meantime, I'll try to be patient as the sound engineers get their hands around this format - but stop catering to those with Atmos soundbars and mid-woofers posing as subwoofers!

Quite a write-up. Thank you for posting. :thumbsup:

You make some very good points. I have not had access to an Atmos system until more recently, so, I do not have as much experience as you have. I do like the sense of envelopment when listening to music and watching movies.

...If you want to see exactly what I'm talking about, just pop in the Dolby Atmos sampler Bluray and surf through it...

Do you have a link to where one can obtain the Atmos sampler?

Good Atmos impressions. I'm getting the itch to give Atmos a try, but Atmos hit just after my Yamaha RX-A3030 was released. While I'd consider a newer Yamaha AVR, none have the connections of my 3030. Also, what's the gear in the surround set up? Curious too as to the Atmos hardware and speakers?

Last edited:
Good Atmos impressions. I'm getting the itch to give Atmos a try, but Atmos hit just after my Yamaha RX-A3030 was released. While I'd consider a newer Yamaha AVR, none have the connections of my 3030. Also, what's the gear in the surround set up? Curious as to the Atmos hardware and speakers?

AVP - Integra DHC-80.6
Surround Amplifier - Integra DTA-70.1
Subwoofer System - NAD 218THX powering a 12" Long Throw DVC subwoofer (Rockford Fosgate T2) in an 8ft^3 vented enclosure tuned to 20Hz.

The C200 / MC2600s / XRT22s are my front mains when using the DHC-80.6.

For me, movies just aren't important or good enough to merit a change from my 7.1 DTS True Master of Puppets HI Res wtf it is.

Once Hollywood gets away from the standard formula of superhero + goofy sidekick, predictable plot, and overloaded, bangshangalang soundtracks, and starts making SCRIPT AND CHARACTER driven movies again, I'll consider it.

I bet any system that damacman has is pretty dang epic. After all, this is the guy that once had 1.2 KW of power on his stereo.

For me, movies just aren't important or good enough to merit a change from my 7.1 DTS True Master of Puppets HI Res wtf it is.

Once Hollywood gets away from the standard formula of superhero + goofy sidekick, predictable plot, and overloaded, bangshangalang soundtracks, and starts making SCRIPT AND CHARACTER driven movies again, I'll consider it.

I bet any system that damacman has is pretty dang epic. After all, this is the guy that once had 1.2 KW of power on his stereo.

Oh well. While I do love Script & Character driven films, I'm also a Nerd-Geek. So, I love Marvel's MCU superhero movies. I think Marvel has done an awesome job with the feel, flow, and continuity of their universe. I can hardly wait for more. :D

Atmos is not only about movies. There has been a very few music albums released. Hopefully there will be more in the future. Also, the Atmos Dolby Surround decoder can be used to create an immersive sound mix from 7.1, 5.1, 4.0 and 2.0 audio with sometimes great results.

@StimpyWan I love superheroes as well, but it is like Hollywood has forgotten how to make anything other than superhero movies.

And I cannot wait until my boy The Hulk lets Thanos have it. That is coming, a big green foot going upside Thanos' purple ass.

Onkyo/Integra builds some great gear. Usually the newest, latest and greatest to the market first too.

WOW...!!! :yikes:
I was the Onkyo / Integra / Integra Research rep in North Texas for several years and knew many of the engineers from Japan. I've always loved the gear.

Atmos is not only about movies. There has been a very few music albums released. Hopefully there will be more in the future. Also, the Atmos Dolby Surround decoder can be used to create an immersive sound mix from 7.1, 5.1, 4.0 and 2.0 audio with sometimes great results.
Correct. Once you experience it all in your space, there is no going back to traditional surround formats. Object based, when done correctly, eliminates point of origin.

The INXS Kick Box set is the worst offender here - the LFE is so grossly boosted and exaggerated on the normal music tracks that you'll think you got a defective disc. The video tracks are much better in regard, but the center frequency of the boosting is still unnaturally high. Give me the natural mix, as it was recorded please.

Have you compared the box set of Kick to the original vinyl or original CD release of that album? Being Australian, and an INXS fan, I have originals of each- they are very bass heavy for their time. It was awesome back in the day.

Have you compared the box set of Kick to the original vinyl or original CD release of that album? Being Australian, and an INXS fan, I have originals of each- they are very bass heavy for their time. It was awesome back in the day.
I had the original CD - lost it in the divorce ...

Aren't onkyo and pioneer now one company and building Onkyo and pioneer on same assembly line?

Yes, Onkyo bought Pioneer. But, I'm not sure if production has been integrated into one facility? Though, I guess a large enough factory could handle the different lines; Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer, and Elite, plus Pioneer's "SC" Class D series of AVR's too.

Thank you for the reviews - I've had an older Integra DTC 9.8 Pre/Pro, working great for 8 years, with excellent standalone amps and speakers, 7.1 mode,
and was thinking it might be time to upgrade the "head" of our system.

Integra's DHC-60.7 looks like one to watch!
Of course, the DTC 9.8 was 2 years old when I bought it and greatly discounted ...
I'm not looking for retail-like prices now - I can wait.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom