Anybody hook their analog equipment up to their favorite DAC?

fredjones

This would be heresy in the turntable or tape threads, so maybe I won't be hanged here. I've got some DACs that I really enjoy the sound, and wondered. Of course it would require a good ADC to hook to the turntable.
I have found a turntable with digital output like the project digital II. I doubt it has a decent ADC in it. Amazon sells some 15 buck line ADCs. It seems getting something audiophile quality really ramps up the cost.
I am looking into other solutions such as the Behringer Ultramatch Pro SCR2496, but need to do some research first.

Cheers

Lotsa folk happy with the Behringer UCA202 or 222. Performs well above it's price point at better than redbook resolution. No drivers either, so you can run it standalone. You can find one for around $20.

The UCA202 is nice for recording to PC, but
I'm looking for something with straight RCA inputs and digital out (SPDIF or toslink) so that the signal will not be run through a computer.
So I can listen in real time.
I have been looking for something that fits the bill without breaking the bank.

You can't just put the cartridge output into an ADC- it's way too low in amplitude and needs to be eq'd for the RIAA curve.

Turntables with a digital out run an RIAA preamp before their internal ADC.

I'm at a loss why you'd want to take a signal, boost and eq it, convert it to digital and then back to analogue again before running it into an analogue amplifier. If you were performing RIAA in the digital domain or applying some DSP to the signal I can understand.

The only reasons I see to convert to digital then back are (a) you want to run the signal through a processor such as a room correction EQ, or (b) you want to use a DAC with multiple inputs and volume control as your system control center. And as restorer-john notes, you would need a phono stage ahead of the ADC.

I don't think you guys get the gist of what I am trying to do. I want an ADC (not DAC) that will send a digital signal in real time to my DAC.
I like the way my DAC sounds and want to see how the turntable sounds going through it.
I know most will say waste of time, and I won't disagree, but hey, I'm adventurous and want to try it out.
Want to know if anyone else has tried this.

I'm looking for something with straight RCA inputs and digital out (SPDIF or toslink) so that the signal will not be run through a computer.
So I can listen in real time.
I have been looking for something that fits the bill without breaking the bank.

You mean like the UCA202? <G>

That has direct RCA input bypassing the USB stage AND optical out ...

dJvn.uca222.jpg

I don't think you guys get the gist of what I am trying to do. I want an ADC (not DAC) that will send a digital signal in real time to my DAC.
I like the way my DAC sounds and want to see how the turntable sounds going through it.
I know most will say waste of time, and I won't disagree, but hey, I'm adventurous and want to try it out.

IMO the below needs to be addressed

You can't just put the cartridge output into an ADC- it's way too low in amplitude and needs to be eq'd for the RIAA curve.

Hmmm. Interesting concept. I use an HRT Line Streamer ADC to record vinyl sources via Audacity running on a laptop. I use RCA cables from the tape output jacks of my preamp to its input and out to the laptop with USB .

Perhaps you might connect the USB cable directly into an input on a DAC.

I run my TT into my Mytek Brooklyn. It does the RIAA digitally. Sounds quite nice, even with a very low output MC cart. It has two gain settings so can handle the low input of the MC.

My PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter is a Phono Amp and ADC. I run my turntable through it to my Gungnir MB to my Onkyo TX-8555 integrated amp. I also run my turntable through the NuWave Phono Converter and directly into my Onkyo for the analog experience.

Yeah, it is pretty much a waste of time. If your analog stuff doesn't sound good, a graphic equalizer or some other analog signal processing might help. Proper A/D conversion involves more than just jacking an analog signal into an ADC. Input levels are critical to avoid distortion products along with proper dithering. The proper use of input filters should be considered. Not meaning to be a downer here, but the "sound" of your DAC that you like might not materialize with your digitized analog sources.

Good luck anyway

I run my TT into my Mytek Brooklyn. It does the RIAA digitally. Sounds quite nice, even with a very low output MC cart. It has two gain settings so can handle the low input of the MC.
Hello, what cart are you running on your Brooklyn? I'm in the market for my first MC and would like to go low output, but am finding lots of conflicting info.

I have a Denon 304. It is quite low output. Just barely started to get the TT set up again since moving 2 years ago. I plan/hope to do a scratch build EAR 834p sometime during this year.
John

My PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter is a Phono Amp and ADC. I run my turntable through it to my Gungnir MB to my Onkyo TX-8555 integrated amp. I also run my turntable through the NuWave Phono Converter and directly into my Onkyo for the analog experience.

I also have a NuWave Phono Converter... Run one of my turntables through it -- ADC ---> DAC

Have used 3 different DACs

I dont talk much about spinning LPs that ^ way because it is Blasphemy :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom