Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Decware

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Rogue Audio

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

ask81

Spinning through life!
I have no way to audition any of these amps where I live but I've been researching for so long I'm going insane. I'm looking to stay under $2000 and am looking at several different amps. Some used, some new to stay within budget. If anyone has experience with any of these paired with La Scala's please help with your take on it.

- Primaluna Integrated Prologue Premium (EL34)
- Coincident Dynamo mkII (SET EL34)
- Decware SE341.5 (SET EL34)
- Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II (KT120)

I really like the idea of self-biasing tubes but it's not necessary. I'd prefer point to point wiring. I'm not really interested in suggestions for finding vintage tube amps. I've already gone that route for one setup. I want ease of use and modern technology as well as the best sound I can pull out of the LS's. Thanks.

When I did the tube thing... I started with a Jolida 502 (?? I think)

Added:

Wright 2A3's
Transcendent SE-OTL's (pair and bridged them)
Viva 300B
Quad's
McIntosh MC-2102
McIntosh MC-30's

Dumped them all, went with Crown and have a fair amount of $$ in my pocket AND killer sound.

I know that didn't help you but I wanted you to see there is life after tubes.

You can't go wrong with either Rogue or Decware. Great sounding products that are hand crafted in America. Setting the bias on a Rogue amp is a breeze and very easy for even a person that has never owned a tube amp. The Rogue gear is not point to point - but it does offer the consistency that a PCB offers. Point to point vs. PCB is another discussion that might derail this thread.

You can't go wrong with either Rogue or Decware. Great sounding products that are hand crafted in America. Setting the bias on a Rogue amp is a breeze and very easy for even a person that has never owned a tube amp. The Rogue gear is not point to point - but it does offer the consistency that a PCB offers. Point to point vs. PCB is another discussion that might derail this thread.

Thanks for the review. I'm comfortable setting the bias on the tubes so I'm not worried about that part of things. Really I'm looking for quality gear that will last a long time. Maybe I'm expecting too much for a couple thousand. I've heard Rogue is a little brash and in your face? I like that the Decware is guaranteed for life and is a small US company, same with Coincident (Canadian, but close enough).

I see you are a Mac fan. Do you have any experience with the MA252? Very intrigued by that piece and might be able to save longer if it would be worth it. Plus it has what seems to be a decent phono preamp which I was going to have to purchase separately with the other amps.

Thanks for the review. I'm comfortable setting the bias on the tubes so I'm not worried about that part of things. Really I'm looking for quality gear that will last a long time. Maybe I'm expecting too much for a couple thousand. I've heard Rogue is a little brash and in your face? I like that the Decware is guaranteed for life and is a small US company, same with Coincident (Canadian, but close enough).

I see you are a Mac fan. Do you have any experience with the MA252? Very intrigued by that piece and might be able to save longer if it would be worth it. Plus it has what seems to be a decent phono preamp which I was going to have to purchase separately with the other amps.

I've owned several Rogue component and have auditioned their integrated amps. Back when the Perseus preamp and M150 monoblocks (now 180) were current, I had them in my main system. It was anything but brash - very smooth. Their all tube integrated is right around your price range. Honestly, their Sphinx, at an even lower price is just shockingly good. Both Rogue and Decware are solid companies that stand behind the products they make; I would have no concerns about future support.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard the new MA252. It has been well received and there has been some talk in the McIntosh section of the forum. Klipsch and McIntosh are a classic pairing. With that said, you will likely prefer sticking with an amp that's tube output based. The speakers will like an amp with a high impedance output. McIntosh phono sections are fantastic. There's a reason they didn't make a standalone phono preamp until recently....they didn't need to. They are available now mainly for those that own the all digital preamp (D150) but are also wanting to spin LPs, not because the built in phono sections are inferior.

I would use a SS amp and a tube pre-amp and keep the speaker lines as short and as large as practical. I always liked the sound of Sansui and Pioneer SS units. If your determined to use tubes, you want 2 MC 30 Mac tube amps. If you want a forward sound a Marantz 7C pre-amp, something a little more laid back a Mac C-20 pre-amp. Integrated units maybe a Fisher, but it will need to be restored as will all the tube units. Some La Scalas have a peaky high end and with an updated Crites crossover to smooth things out if you have one these later series 1 models you'll be way ahead. Restoring the LA Scalas will be a much more satisfying than spending big money on restored tube electronics.

Mcintosh made a MA2275, which is an integrated unit, rated at 75 watts per channel using output and driver tubes while using the previous generation SS electronics technology. Its a great sounding unit though those whom prefer the crystal hard sound of modern SS found the MA 2275 to be a little warm and fuzzy. If you keep the speaker lines short and use 12 awg wire, you won't have a case of the fuzzes. Its particularly known for its depth in presentation in the important lower highs and midrange frequencies. Its heavy with output transformers and with adequate ventilation should give. you many years of trouble free operation. Matched quads of KT88's are pricey! But you knew that. You can roll miniature tubes if you want but stick with factory KT88's they are hand selected, tested and matched.

Last edited:
Why would anyone consider ing buying a product that doesn't guarantee or print specifications for the unit. At what +/- db, at what signal to noise ratio, at what distortion level, etc etc etc etc, Are these amps 2 % at 1 watt at 1000 HZ. or 20 % at full power. Is the signal to noise 75 db for line inputs or 55 for phono as was typical in the 60's or are they 105 to 110 db as is required for today? Show it to me in print.

I tried the Decware SE341.5 and the Mini Torii, their dual-mono amp. I preferred the Mini Torii - it was more detailed and better on the top end. More power as well - on my Zu Omens I never need to crank the volume pot past 11 o'clock The SE341.5 has insanely good imaging and more kick in the bass, however. You can find either used on the Decware forum from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom