Marantz 2270 Engraved Survey

9/17 Marantz 2270 engraved faceplate survey update.

1. It appears the long held belief that the engraved faceplates (champagne and silver) were made between serial numbers 1,000-5,000 for a total of 4,000 units is true.

2. Silver engraved units are indeed a rare bird as I have only 6 confirmed units out of a total of 66 from my survey. Champagne engraved units in my survey now numbers at 60 out of 66. Therefore, silver engraved units account for only 9.09% (6/66) of known units.

3. I still have gaps in my numbers as expected since I have only a 1.65% sample size. Most of the larger remaining gaps are between 3328-3566, 4201-4516, 4600 and 4900-5000. Because of the gaps the silver engraved units total could be as high as 25%. However, I still believe it will end up around 10% +|-.

So again if you have a champagne or silver engraved 2270 please forward the serial # to me and indicate if champagne or silver engraved. There is a photo in the beginning of this thread that shows the difference between the two. Of course an engraved unit has the entire front face plate engraved compared to the normal smooth lettering of the later models if your not sure what you have. Thank you again for any help.[/QUO

Here's another Champagne engraved 2270 s/n for your survey: # 4342.

I just purchased it from Vintage HiFi NW in Seattle through Reverb.com.

Ok thank you for the update. I wish a Marantz person from that era could add some insight. The all black inputs on the back further clouds things because all the US models went with the red and black inputs long before 32,000. The Canadian serial numbers are very strange indeed for several reasons. What does you date stamp on the chassis say (with the metal case off look on the right top corner behind the "Stereophonic Receiver" on the face plate.
These are all fakes! No such a thing. At some point these plates which are real Champange or silver engraved from early serial units and were swapped out to these higher serial units and I believe this was the work of one single con who then made up this whole Canadian BS system and even made stickers with a corresponding lower serial to try to convince sheeples this was done by Marantz for Canada. If you guys think these units are real original Champange or silver engraves then you guys are playing right into his scam. I’ve gotten one of these Canadian engraves and if you see the whole sticker it just looks too new and was just applied onto the unit doesn’t match how old the units are there should be some scuff or something the stickers look too damn new. Doesn’t even look right I ain’t falling for this okie doke! I paid a lot for a fake original engrave. Funny cuz these are real faceplates and real units just not the early units!

These are all fakes! No such a thing. At some point these plates which are real Champange or silver engraved from early serial units and were swapped out to these higher serial units and I believe this was the work of one single con who then made up this whole Canadian BS system and even made stickers with a corresponding lower serial to try to convince sheeples this was done by Marantz for Canada. If you guys think these units are real original Champange or silver engraves then you guys are playing right into his scam. I’ve gotten one of these Canadian engraves and if you see the whole sticker it just looks too new and was just applied onto the unit doesn’t match how old the units are there should be some scuff or something the stickers look too damn new. Doesn’t even look right I ain’t falling for this okie doke! I paid a lot for a fake original engrave. Funny cuz these are real faceplates and real units just not the early units!
Oh also the inside chassis was not gold either!

I admit i was (and still am) skeptical of the Canadian engraved units. The later model chassis just don't match up with the earlier 1,000-5,000 units for all the reasons already noted. The added sticker on the back has a serial number that appears more believable than the high serial number on the "Canadian Units". Lets face it putting an engraved unit on a later model and claiming it is an engraved unit is pretty easy to do! I still see sellers on E-Bay doing it or even claiming they have an engraved Silver unit that is not even engraved just to try and make more money. It makes no sense Marantz would sit on engraved face plates for 50,000+ units then suddenly they start selling engraved units once again. Hopefully a former Marantz executive or other knowledgeable person would address this question. I am just trying to use logic and the evidence I have from tracking nearly a 100 of these units now. Anyhow, still tracking the engraved units and when i get some more useful data will post updates. In the mean time loving my Marantz receiver and Marantz speaker collection everyday!!!

I have 2270 number 1348 here for repair and restore.

The service manuals show serial number 1001-5000. So there was no 1000. Thus, this is the 348th production unit.

Unfortunately, the owner left the face at home in AK. It was found in an old electronics repair shop, long closed and being cleaned out.

From something I read somewhere once about early Marantz at the time of Superscope takeover, they were hand assembled in Japan as they worked out manufacturing processes for quick mass production. I suspect minor changes occurred in that process. I also suspect that design changes were in flight and bean counters were counting.

I suspect as parts were produced and assembly progressed, things changed.

Towards the end of initial production run, I would suspect parts ran out or were left over.

Last edited:
Yes caught the 2617 and the 1214 on e-bay. The 2617 helped fill in the blanks some more since the first documented silver units i have appear at 2659. The survey now has 84 total units documented. Still lacking information from the 3400, 3600 and 4500 range. That information will really be telling on the total silver population. My silver population has now dropped to a 23% compared to only 12% of the 84 units documented. being silver in color. Thanks again for the input!

1124 belongs to me. :beerchug:

I've landed on "embossed" for the proper adjective (OED: Carve, mould, or stamp (a design) on a surface or object.) Engraved connotes scratching into the surface with a stylus of some kind, to me.

Last edited:
I have 2270 number 1348 here for repair and restore.

The service manuals show serial number 1001-5000. So there was no 1000. Thus, this is the 348th production unit.

Unfortunately, the owner left the face at home in AK. It was found in an old electronics repair shop, long closed and being cleaned out.

From something I read somewhere once about early Marantz at the time of Superscope takeover, they were hand assembled in Japan as they worked out manufacturing processes for quick mass production. I suspect minor changes occurred in that process. I also suspect that design changes were in flight and bean counters were counting.

I suspect as parts were produced and assembly progressed, things changed.

Towards the end of initial production run, I would suspect parts ran out or were left over.
Back in the eighties I repaired a couple of 2270s with the engraved champagne faceplates... not knowing the history of the model I just assumed it was early production before bean counter decisions were made... I remember noting how beautiful the faceplate finish was and how fine the engraving, almost looked embossed, like it was precision stamped... nice stuff.. and, there were other differences inside too, can't exactly remember but generally related to build quality... certain shielding, and shield pieces, or the way the shielding was installed for certain boards... can't remember but definitely little differences that spoke of superior build quality with attention to detail. When we serviced a unit we disassembled it for complete access to all switches and controls for cleaning, and, of course, for complete cosmetic cleaning so faceplates were removed and everything completely cleaned and made new looking... those two.. all 2270s actually... but those two champagne models came out looking classy and eloquent... exceedingly nice pieces.

Thank you both for the info. The purpose of the survey is two fold. One to determine if 4,000 total engraved units were made and secondly how were Champagne engraved and how were Silver engraved. So anyone else responding please let me know the color of the face plate and the serial number. Thank you again for everyones help!!

About the confusion regarding the cannadian models.

As far I know Marantz 2230, 2245, 2270 serials were made like this:

USA started with 1001
Canada started with 60001
Europe started with 50001
Asia started with 80001

Back
Top Bottom