Developing the BOM for a KR-6160 restoration

The restoration isn't complete, but it sounds much better now with a partial recap and replacement of some transistors. The MIC input seems to be on all the time and that circuit is definitely introducing noise. Gotta take that apart soon. Only problem is THIS is the current bedroom system, so while it is down I've got nothing to listen to except the laptop's built-in speakers. Waugh.
With all the restoration jobs you seem to do, I find it hard to fathom you not having a few units on a bench just waiting for some play time!
;)

Yep. Still not done, though. It's a mess inside the 6160, compared to other brands/models of the time. I *like* it, though. ;)

Are your HP 5316/5315? counters working? I have a couple of 5316A's too. One has the 1 GHZ option. Both are working. great counters for our work.
Quite the beast that ST 1700

Yep, both the counters work well.

Ebay trolling won me two HP spectrum analyzers, so im close to having a full kit.

Always wanted a S/A to play with, what model did you get? one with a tracking gen is cool so you can tune/test RF/IF filters.
I remember a Wiltron setup they had at Motorola, with a return loss bridge for tuning very selective UHF tuning front ends.

I ended up with two: a 3582A and a 3585A. Both are huge and heavy.

IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG

Well I picked up a Kenwood KR 6160 Yesterday it works great but is a bit noisy in the FM section though it sounds great. I came across this great thread was wondering if you ever finished this up and found what the problem was ?
I'm thinking of doing a recap on this unit maybe change a couple other parts and align the AM and FM tuner. I was hoping you finished this up and see and hear about your results ? This started out great but never got to see the end of the movie so to speak

I hear ya. The short answer is "no, im not done with it yet."

Recapping and replacing noisy transistors has improved the results and I am positive finishing the job will improve things even more. Turning off the useless (to me) MIC circuit will help a lot.

I will repeat this part, though: the insides of the KR-6160 are a bit of a birds nest. If you haven't recapped or repairing one or two simpler units, I would suggest you do that before getting into this model.

Yes it looks like it will be quite a project. I have recapped many Preamps and Amps and old antique radios but never tacked a receiver My problem is I couldn't a complete service manual on line or don't think the one I found is complete there are no procedures for aligning the FM section only the AM. I'm debating if I should just use it as is or work on it. My wife has Bose 601 series III in her craft room and this would work great for them and she likes simple. I agree on the mic circuit it would be nice to have a way to just bypass it I hate to eliminate stuff that was original like when people bypass tone controls ect... I like things original but adding a bypass switch maybe on the back would be cool. I just need to sort through your list you started and come up with Caps I should change I was thinking of doing it board by board start with the AM and FM ripple board than preamp and main boards. Well hope you get inspired and finish this up with more great info. I think this receiver is a flying under the radar marvel. Blows away my Kenwood separates from the later 70s I think I have a KA-7300 and KT-6500 (In my closet) combo they don't compare to the sound of this KR-6160

Attachments

• My Bench.jpg
    My Bench.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 31
Oh and by the way if it seems I'm a newbie on this forum I'm not I used to use it years ago been in this for many years like 40 years I just couldn't remember my log in and the email was an old Yahoo email and I don't know that either so I just created a new count with my new info. Not like I'm an expert by any means but just saying. I started in car audio repair back in the late 70s / early 80s

Yes it looks like it will be quite a project. I have recapped many Preamps and Amps and old antique radios but never tacked a receiver My problem is I couldn't a complete service manual on line or don't think the one I found is complete there are no procedures for aligning the FM section only the AM. I'm debating if I should just use it as is or work on it. My wife has Bose 601 series III in her craft room and this would work great for them and she likes simple. I agree on the mic circuit it would be nice to have a way to just bypass it I hate to eliminate stuff that was original like when people bypass tone controls ect... I like things original but adding a bypass switch maybe on the back would be cool. I just need to sort through your list you started and come up with Caps I should change I was thinking of doing it board by board start with the AM and FM ripple board than preamp and main boards. Well hope you get inspired and finish this up with more great info. I think this receiver is a flying under the radar marvel. Blows away my Kenwood separates from the later 70s I think I have a KA-7300 and KT-6500 (In my closet) combo they don't compare to the sound of this KR-6160

I have the complete service manual with alignments, BOMs, Drawings, and service updates for the KR-6160. Ill try to remember to upload them when I come home next month.

Back
Top Bottom