Kappa 9 help needed

Ashemo

So I just bought a real nice pair of Kappa 9's. Had Qa's in the old college dorm back in the Stone Age and I guess I never lost my taste for Infinities. Good memories there...

I had been using Klipsch LaScalas with full Bob Crites upgrades. They sound great but since we are all crazy in this hobby and continually looking for "that sound" here I go again...

Im going from super efficient to something that may require an arc welder as a power source apparently.

I have currently been using a Sansui BA/CA 2000 combo with the LaScalas. I have also used an Accuphase E-202 and Luxman R-117 as power sources with the LaScalas. They all sound very good but the Sansui probably sounds the best to me. The rest are on the shelf for now.

I also have a NAD 3150 laying around somewhere.

I want to power the Kappa 9's properly without breaking the bank right now. I will upgrade later if necessary.

I have Denon POA 6600 Monoblocks for the Kappas. Not sure if they can go solo. I was thinking of using these to power the bottom end. I would like to power the top end with the Sansui BA 2000. I would like to use the Sansui CA 2000 as the preamp for all of this. I also have the matching preamp for the Denon Monoblocks as an option.

I'm hoping someone can help me so I don't melt anything near and dear to me. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

You can try it, but I would be VERY careful with the volume knob. The bass region is where the K9's have the most torturous impedance swings, dipping as low as 1 ohm at some frequencies. The POA 6600 service manual only provided continuous output specs into 8 and 4 ohm loads, and specifies that speakers with a nominal impedance between 4 to 16 ohms should be used when powering only one set of speaker outputs at a time.

Personally, I would look for an amp that has a continuous power output rating into a 2 ohm load.

Your Sansui should have no trouble running the mids and tweeters.

Congrats on getting them, if it were me i wouldn't even fool around. I'd be straight out the door heading to Sam Ash or Guitar Center for a Crown Amp. Maybe an xli-2500 If your doing 2 channel. Then it's game on baby :biggrin: !

And we like Pictures !

Thank you! I pick them up next week. Piano black version from original owner. Will send pics. I have this Class H amp too but never considered it for the bottom end:

https://www.performanceaudio.com/item/citc-f250ts/10797/

Face Audio F250TS. Wasn’t sure about sound quality but it has some grunt. Lots of fans...

I am curious what amp Infinity recommended pairing these with when they first came out.

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on your 9s. I have a pair as well and power them in a bi-amp mode and they sound really good. I run mine with the switch of the bass in normal mode which helps. I would try that first also. It’s easier on the amps.

I think I will do as you suggested. Biamp with Denon POA 6600 Monoblocks on the top end and the Face Audio F250TS Class H amp on the bottom end for now. I know nothing about the Face amp. My son gave it to me.

Anyone see a problem with using this Class H amp for the woofers?

Normal mode on bass. I will run this through one preamp. Probably the Denon Preamp.

Thanks

I think I will do as you suggested. Biamp with Denon POA 6600 Monoblocks on the top end and the Face Audio F250TS Class H amp on the bottom end for now. I know nothing about the Face amp. My son gave it to me.

Anyone see a problem with using this Class H amp for the woofers?

Normal mode on bass. I will run this through one preamp. Probably the Denon Preamp.

Thanks
That sounds good to me. Start there and just turn the volume up slowly. When u get a chance post some pictures for us and let us know what you think.

Congrats on your new home shakers, they rock the house. You want to choose a high current amp!
I've been running mine for years with a Parasound HCA 1205-A without breaking a sweat.

Enjoy the Kappa 9s!

When I got mine 3 years ago I swear I must have been down there messing around with them for a solid 6 months. Positioning, messing with cables spinning round and round. I spent most of my money on my main system but these are the better speakers and didn’t have the coin I wanted to throw at them so I did it on the cheap.

Back
Top Bottom