125A 10" woofer troubles.....

Darren James

I've worked really hard making sure i did everything right, and I still ended up with a rub on a re-cone...

I couldn't even use the shim with the coil former because the gap is that thin..... So I tried to stack
a bunch of individual shims around the coil to create the same, but I guess it was still off a bit..

Anyone else ever find a way out of this? Could I do a re-foam and try a re-center that way??

Thanks in advance

I've never refoamed a JBL but have had good luck with 30hz test tone while gluing the outer ring on several sets of woofers and mids. I've yet to try the shim method in fact.

I've never refoamed a JBL but have had good luck with 30hz test tone while gluing the outer ring on several sets of woofers and mids. I've yet to try the shim method in fact.

I have to own up to laziness as being the culprit here... It was particles in the gap. I could see the scratch marks and did what I was supposed to in the first place and ran a shim with tape facing out around the gap a few times till I was sure it was clean. Then I did it again...... So, now I'll order a new re-cone kit and try once more....

I guess that's another reason to go with the test tone method. You don't need to remove the dust cap.

I guess that's another reason to go with the test tone method. You don't need to remove the dust cap.

This was a re-cone job..... everything... from a bare basket up.... They do sell the coil, spider and cone already glued, but then you have to do surgery to glue down the spider, and solder the coil wires in tight spaces.... A re-cone does start with a long shim wrapped around the center post, then sliding the coil down over that to position it properly... i think if you are good at the 30hz. way then stick with it. I always used contact cement, and there is no moving things around. Once they touch that's it... I did try the white glue that midwest speaker sells with their foam kits and that is nice to work with. It takes about 15 minutes to set up so plenty of time to position the cone. ...

I've yet to do a recone. With my bad eyesight and 35yrs of construction clubfingers it would be quite a test for my fine motor skills.

Back
Top Bottom