Looking at L300

L-82

Hey guys, considering a pair of L300 speakers - condition probably 7/10 but they are complete. The only things is the original drivers were replaced with 2231A. What are the pluses or minuses if any?
You suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I just sold my Zu Omen and I am loving the L40 for now...

Cheers

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your hunt!
I've wondered if the rounded corners on the 300s make them more susceptible to 'moving rash' esp on the veneers & top corners. My L200 have lived in 6 different homes, and having sharp square corners/edges made getting a good grasp on them easy for safe cautious loading/unloading & trips up stairs, etc... :)
Love that chair, BTW - it's the only piece I don't have but always wanted, and she's even using it 'properly', though I prefer the steel blue fabric...

I wasn't fond of the acoustic lens. You notice JBL doesn't use them anymore. maybe you want a 4430 or my favorite from the period. The large and impressive 4435. Only one crossover section, and I can't hear over 17,000 HZ any way. And the tweeter doesn't resonate making the tweeters peaky and less than ideal as some earlier and some current models do.

1A477E2C-98FB-4EA1-9777-51395F9B8833.jpeg 079DD78B-AF6A-4011-86C1-AD4805AF5834.jpeg 2FB03AD2-A622-443A-B11F-CDDC9FD9AFFB.jpeg 3E21839B-FB01-4012-9AC7-B5A37D3D8349.jpeg F4438F44-EE2F-4455-8FCA-4651EEEC8516.jpeg 8295A30F-A103-4591-8FAF-290BCCC17B87.jpeg 50239E0E-3680-4E43-B7D9-D0C88073F5D5.jpeg ECAAD02D-2872-450F-9E54-B5F7330574E2.jpeg Search is over instead I got these... love the grills love the sound, it is a lot full bodied than the L40. I’ll have to play with positioning, I am not they image as well as the L40 but they are much more present that’s for sure.
The journey continues :banana:

Reactions: S S
I wasn't fond of the acoustic lens. You notice JBL doesn't use them anymore. maybe you want a 4430 or my favorite from the period. The large and impressive 4435. Only one crossover section, and I can't hear over 17,000 HZ any way. And the tweeter doesn't resonate making the tweeters peaky and less than ideal as some earlier and some current models do.
The acoustic lens was as appropriate and integral to those vintage compression HF drivers as the butt-cheeks were to your bi-radial-horned 4435s. You might as well say they no longer use the bi-radial, either, since the current M2-style wave guide seems to be the contemporary CAD HF "lens" design of the day. I happen to enjoy my 4345s with their wooden HF dispersion lenses very much.

That being said, and taking nothing away from the aesthetics of the L300, its contemporary 4-ways are much, much better systems, as are the later bi-radial two-ways, as you've suggested. And generally they are more affordable than the iconic L300.

Nice L100s! Those grilles look like the lovely ones from Sculpted Foam Innovations (eBay). Did the stands come with them? Hand they been recapped?

I’m working on a similar pair right now, but they still need new caps.

I notice the latest M2 is a two way, and a DD6700 might as well be with tweeter that crosses at 19 KHZ. I can't hear above 17, KHZ any way, so its just dressing on the cake I can't taste. I guess you could say I'm wrong and say. the 67000 is a 3.5 way. But only 2.5 would apply to me. They are all great speakers and I know we are all splitting hairs, A L300 is a great medium size speaker for smaller spaces, where a DD67000 definitely requires a lot more space. A M2 is designed for closer and personal like the 4430. The 4435 was designed for spaces that or situations that require the bass to be strong and accurate with very little compression keeping up with the horn, You start pushing single woofer systems and they all start to compress before the horn. So I try to match the speaker sensitivity with the size of the room. As long as you can be happy with your speaker at - 20 to -15 db power levels leaving 10 db for peaks and an extra 6 or so for very rare occasions you'll be happy. The minus 20 to 15 db levels are not mf levels, moderate levels, but f levels leaving space for those fff and the very rare ffff levels that come a long.

f means forte, loud. fff means, triple forte, very loud almost shatteringly loud. ffff, quadruple forte, is painfully loud, 120+ db.

I realize the older speakers have drivers pushing 10 % distortion where the M2 and 67000 either under 1% or just above. Thats 20 db less distortion than a L300 and another reason not to push the speaker to hard toward maximum power rating. 4435 horn approaches 6% distortion at full power and is another reason to hope -15 to -20 db power applied will be adequate. Wouldn't we all e blessed to have. M2s? or 67000?

Last edited:
Nice L100s! Those grilles look like the lovely ones from Sculpted Foam Innovations (eBay). Did the stands come with them? Hand they been recapped?

I’m working on a similar pair right now, but they still need new caps.
Thanks, the grilles are reproductions and they look great, not sure about the recap I don’t think so but I will check in a bit...
The stand I bought from the people at W&A - works of art and sand filled

Last edited:
How much was you offer on the L300 that was refused? The 2231A is the pro version of the 136A woofer so equivalent and was used in the L300 pro version, the 4333.

Yes, I too am interested in the offer that was refused as I am starting to research the cost/selling price of this classic. I am the original owner of a pair of L300 Summits and am looking to sell soon.

Just finished final mods on my pair of 4333B's. Replaced the diaphragms in the mid horns with Radians. Recently built the Nelson Pass designed L-300 crossovers using Zonker92's designed Pass charge coupled P.C. boards. I think that Alobar replaced his 2235's or 31's in his 4320's with the 2216-1Nd's. I had a pair of the non-dash ones sitting in boxes waiting for an M-2 cabinet build which I never got around to. Alobar liked his replaced 2235's so much, I decided to stick them in the 4333's. All I can say is "holy crap", I can't believe how good these old clunkers sound! Don't let the old mid horns with the exponential horn and acoustic lens discourage you. They can sound stunning. If you get the L-300's, plan on replacing the old crossover with the Pass unit. Thank you Nelson for sousing out this crossover, and Zonker92 for the change coupled board version.

Glad to hear someone else 'took the plunge' on the 2216NDs - nothing like 'validation' - Thanks!

I'm actually the one who worked out that the ND(1s) looked like great candidates, and then, after discussing the results of my first swap out with Alobar, he decided to do both his right away! (From LE15Bs on the L200s, by the way.)

I recently installed the 2nd ND-1 on mine, and the changes are nothing short of stunning - honest, crisp 20hz bass, and a wonderful new clarity to the lower midrange, totally unexpected, and it somehow takes away some of the harshness of the horn in that 1k region (? how I'd put it anyway).

Holy Crap is Exactly how I'd put it!!

Very curious about any (minor?) differences between the your M2 NDs and our 4367 ND-1s - especially as the ND-1s have gone up in price a LOT.
(Your M2 project is relevant - it was hearing Scott's (srm5155) DIY M2s (see his Lansing threads) that convinced me to take the plunge!)
Are you going to run any REW plots on yours 4333s?
Alobar published his results a while back - pretty much says it all, I think, though it'll be a few months before I get around to doing that on mine.
(Venu360 AutoEQ in the meantime.)
Alobar has a tri-amped system, whereas I'm bi-amping, since I had the N8000s/077 installed back in the 70s, but I think the differences are minor.
Still need someone to do the swap out on L300s and 'report back', though your 4333s should be sonically about the same, right?
Thanks & Enjoy!!!

I concur with respect to the Acoustic Lens I did not like them on My L200B either. They did provide the dispersion claimed for them but I felt that they messed up the stage and the image of the L200B. I much prefer the sound of these speakers without the lens in place listening only to the trumpet a much better overall presentation in my opinion without the lens.

I have REW on my laptop. Have not looked at the response. Intend on doing that though. It looks like the 2216 is 2dB better in efficiency than the 2235. Things don't quite sound that way though. It sounds like the bass is a little weak compared to the mid horn. The Nelson Pass XOver compensates for the removal of the half voltage auto former with an 8 Ohm resistor. However, I still find it easy to follow bass notes with the 2216. That was not the case with the 2235's. The lower mid-range is an order of magnitude better than the 35's. Actually, I think it is a better than the twelve inch in the 4429's. Great call on the 2216 Ned! I would have never thought to use it.

Moray. Yes, I definitely do hear a dispersed imaging with the acoustic lens. My 4429's image much sharper.

And the 2216Nd is a fine looking driver. Much less utilitarian looking than many 22xx drivers.

Low power compression was one of the primary design goals of the driver.

I preferred an external smith horn and larger format driver to the original exponential horn and lens of the L200/300 series.

L200-horned_8708.jpg
Walnut smith horn with 4 inch 2441 mid-driver.

Last edited:
Alobar convinced me to try going w/o the lenses too - and have to admit the 'focus' w/o them is sure in-your-face - lazer like imaging for sure.
So far, I like it, but haven't yet gotten to swapping the lenses back in again...needs a liddle motorized device to flip them in and out!
I also ended up with about 2db gain on the 2216ND1 xovers, but that's likely coincidence.

And yup, they sure are pretty looking...and weigh like half of what the old LE15s do....almost afraid they'd float away...

Hi Heather! Scott actually brought his 2450CDs and Smith horns over to try swapping out on mine last year, but got so mesmerized with the results of the "ND-ification' that we never got around to plugging them in! - but yes, he strongly recommended that as the next step too!

That or M2 horns...:) and be Done with it?
(L200 cabinets as a quick and simple way to DIY M2s? Could very well be - 5cu.ft is 5 cu ft, the ND just drops right in, and I think I've demonstrated that the L200(A) ports sure seem a great match as is..)

But, honestly, the ND's have had such a 'taming, mellowing, filling in & precisionizing' effect on the L200 horns (077 combo) that I'm pretty dang happy with them as is now - even better since I had not expected any change there.

I think I'll upgrade my sources (DAC gack, the best kind of geek gack!) first.
:banana:

Back
Top Bottom