Realistic R47ED-T (Shure M75?) opinions

6BQ5

I was digging through my old box of trinkets and found a Realistic R47ED-T cartridge with a Shure 5X stylus. This was the cartridge that came with the Pioneer PL 600 I bought about seven years ago. It's been so long that I kind of forgot about it!

Where does this cartridge rank? I assume it's close to entry level listening. Would this cartridge be worth an upgrade in stylus some day?

Thanks!

-=- Boris

It's a fine cartridge, but only if fitted with a quality stylus. The nice thing about the M75 series is that there is a wide range of styli available allowing it to be used in just about any tonearm.

for low mass tonearms:

N75HE
N75ED
N75G

for medium mass tonearms:

N75EJ
N75EC
N75B
N75-6

for high mass tonearms:

N75C

for 78 rpm records:

N75-3

Last edited:
I cant add anything to what these gentlemen have said, but I will confirm. It's a good cartridge and worth of a good stylus.

The R47 EDT has been my everyday cart for the past several years. I got it new off eBay in a listing with needles that only called then "electrical parts." It was a subtle revelation when I first used it. All carts are voiced a tad different, and there are several that I keep around (Osawa/Nagaoka, adc, sc35c) because they do 45's or vg level discs different. If I want a nice balance of depth, focus, space and punch along with honest playback I use that. I have the sibling R25 loaded up for 78's. Similar cart but I think aimed at changers so fine as a 78 cart.

I was digging through my old box of trinkets and found a Realistic R47ED-T cartridge with a Shure 5X stylus. This was the cartridge that came with the Pioneer PL 600 I bought about seven years ago. It's been so long that I kind of forgot about it!

Where does this cartridge rank? I assume it's close to entry level listening. Would this cartridge be worth an upgrade in stylus some day?

Thanks!

-=- Boris
I repotted mine (xt) and put a nuded Jico SAS on it. It became one of my favourite MM carts.:music:

RS E - It sounds nice too. No IGD. I have been using it on some of the lower condition records and it does well.

View attachment 888348
OK. The RE 6E is the same thing as the n75ED type ll. I can see the size of that cantilever that they are a good bit different. If'n y'all make up your mind about the DB-1B, I'll send the t-ll stylus along also for you to play with.

OK. The RE 6E is the same thing as the n75ED type ll. I can see the size of that cantilever that they are a good bit different. If'n y'all make up your mind about the DB-1B, I'll send the t-ll stylus along also for you to play with.

Sounds good Marc. Even better if I could run down to radio shack and pick up one for $15.95.

Wow, too many choices for a Shure M75 cartridge! Heh!

Jico's website has many conical and elliptical styli, one hyper elliptical stylus, and two SAS stylus. I wish there were just three: good, better, and best.

My choice - Shure N75 HE-Type 2 :thumbsup:

N75he-t2.jpg
http://www.stereoneedles.com/Shure.html

I have read that a .6 mil conical is the best for tracking poorer condition records. Is there a Jico .6 conical for the M75? Having trouble finding one. It looks like even the M75-6 is a .7!
Thanks!

I have read that a .6 mil conical is the best for tracking poorer condition records. Is there a Jico .6 conical for the M75? Having trouble finding one. It looks like even the M75-6 is a .7!
Thanks!
Hi, the .6mil will ride 0.00005" further down in the groove than a .7mil. bet you can't hear that.

Hi, the .6mil will ride 0.00005" further down in the groove than a .7mil. bet you can't hear that.
I wouldn't be surprised if you were right, but I still wouldn't mind trying what a bunch of others have said works. Does anybody know of a new .6 conical for the M75? Or have a different stylus suggestion for worse condition records? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom