Synthsizers and drum machines... Watchu got???

elgato8905

Nobody special.
I’ve been a guitar player for over 30 years. During that time, I’ve picked up any number of other instruments and messed around with them. However having said that, it hasn’t been till just recently that I’ve started messing around with synths and drum machines. It’s been a huge learning curve with these things, but the journey thus far has been a blast. I’ve also noticed, in all the years I’ve been a member of AK and been checking out the Musical Instruments forum, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone make a post about them...

So now I’m curious. I mean I can’t be the only one. So who around here messes with these things and what do you got???

Nothing serious enough to post. Just a less expensive Yamaha that my daughter and I noodle around on. I do have the Mini Moog emulator software, and connect my laptop via MIDI in order to play around with some of the sounds. I will probably have some sort of digital piano here within the next two years. Not quite a synth...but at its heart, I guess you could say it is a synth!

I'd love to get my hands on an old Linn Drum machine, like the kind that Prince used on a lot of his records. It always had a cool sound to it.

Welcome to the data side.

A friend introduced me to MIDI back in 1985 showing me how his synths, samplers and drum machines could 'talk' to each other.

In 1989 I got the 'bug' and bought an Alesis HR-16 drum machine. I was already a hobbyist song writer but became a programming fool writing my own drum patterns and recording all parts on a 4-track Fostex X-30 cassette multi-tracker.

As time went on I learned how to turn 4 tracks of tape into MUCH more by making one of the tracks an audio sync track that would drive my Alesis MMT-8 MIDI recorder/sequencer. Then, bass, keyboards and drums still only took that one track leaving three others for guitars and vocals.

Bought my first PC in 1990 along with Cakewalk (3.0) software replacing the MMT-8. About 10 years ago graduated from the HR-16 to a set of Roland TD-6 drums. MUCH better drum sounds!

Still using Cakewalk (Sonar) to this day. It records audio multi track and has so many instruments sounds in that that I've pretty much given up any tape recorders and keyboard modules I owned.

It depends on what you consider a synthesizer, I guess. :dunno: As a major keyboard nerd, I've accumulated several dozen keyboard instruments over the years, though not all of them count as synthesizers, really. Some of them are electronic (or electromechanical) organs, while others are closer to being toys than 'serious' synths. There are other oddities in there, like electronic pianos. I'll try to whittle things down as best as I can:

Synthesizers:
Organs:
Pianos:
Toys:
Stand-alone drum machines:
I use these contraptions (when working) as part of my one-man band "Dr. Optigan". Some of them are MIDI-capable, but I have yet to make much use of that. Here are a few examples of my various (de)compositions:

Enjoy! :)
-Adam

EDIT: New keyboards added!

Last edited:
@AdamAnt316 I think you win the thread. :D

He’s definitely in the lead. :)

As for me, so far I have a Roland RS-50 Keyboard / synth, two Korg Volca’s (FM and Keys...), a Behringer model D (essentially a mini moog clone...), a Teenage Engineering po32 and po12.... And I also have Ableton 9 lite on my computer as well as the partial Native Instruments Komplete set up.

@AdamAnt316 I think you win the thread. :D
What can I say? :crazy: I didn't start out trying to become king of the keyboard nerds, or anything. I became interested in making music with keyboards, started finding them in the wild, and now I can barely walk around in my 'pseudio'. :dunno: I've been known to bring an assortment of my keyboards (usually the Farfisa Compact and a few of the Casios) to jam sessions at one of the hamfests I attend; I'm hoping to be able to play some gigs as Dr. Optigan at some point. Haven't figured out what I'm gonna do about my namesake instrument, however, as, as it weighs over 100lbs, and is on the verge of falling apart.......... :no:
He’s definitely in the lead. :)

As for me, so far I have a Roland RS-50 Keyboard / synth, two Korg Volca’s (FM and Keys...), a Behringer model D (essentially a mini moog clone...), a Teenage Engineering po32 and po12.... And I also have Ableton 9 lite on my computer as well as the partial Native Instruments Komplete set up.
I'm pretty sure there are others out there who put my collection to shame, especially since it largely consists of keyboards which most would consider as toys. I'd love to own a MiniMoog, Prophet 5, Roland Jupiter 8, etc. someday, but can't afford to do so at this time. I know that emulation is an option, but I prefer to play around with the original hardware whenever possible.

Seems like you've gotten off to a pretty good start. :) How is that Behringer model D, BTW? I've been considering getting one, especially since Moog recently stopped making their MiniMoog D reproduction (which, again, I couldn't afford to splurge on). I'd probably use it with my Novation X-Station 49, which is basically a MIDI/USB keyboard controller with a virtual analog synth bolted onto it.
-Adam

I record music, as often as I am able these days.

The current lineup:
Oberheim Matrix 6
Arturia Minibrute
ARP Omni
Ensoniq Mirage
Yamaha TX7 & TX 81z
Korg DW-8000
Emu 6400&5000
Korg X2

I'm on the hunt for a different midi controller at the moment, the Peavey DPM C8 is the size of a bus terminal.

I record music, as often as I am able these days.

The current lineup:
Oberheim Matrix 6
Arturia Minibrute
ARP Omni
Ensoniq Mirage
Yamaha TX7 & TX 81z
Korg DW-8000
Emu 6400&5000
Korg X2

I'm on the hunt for a different midi controller at the moment, the Peavey DPM C8 is the size of a bus terminal.

Very nice stuff...

Very nice stuff...
It was mostly what was affordable during the vintage synth price bubble of the early 2000's.

I sold the Yamaha CS-70m and Oberheim OB-Xa during this bubble and was able to put a down payment on a house with the money.

Its different now, you can get all kinds of new analog for a mere pittance. The golden age of synthesis is now.

I miss having fun in the evening with the Synths and a VHS camera,

Last edited:
What can I say? :crazy: I didn't start out trying to become king of the keyboard nerds, or anything. I became interested in making music with keyboards, started finding them in the wild, and now I can barely walk around in my 'pseudio'. :dunno: I've been known to bring an assortment of my keyboards (usually the Farfisa Compact and a few of the Casios) to jam sessions at one of the hamfests I attend; I'm hoping to be able to play some gigs as Dr. Optigan at some point. Haven't figured out what I'm gonna do about my namesake instrument, however, as, as it weighs over 100lbs, and is on the verge of falling apart.......... :no:

I'm pretty sure there are others out there who put my collection to shame, especially since it largely consists of keyboards which most would consider as toys. I'd love to own a MiniMoog, Prophet 5, Roland Jupiter 8, etc. someday, but can't afford to do so at this time. I know that emulation is an option, but I prefer to play around with the original hardware whenever possible.

Seems like you've gotten off to a pretty good start. :) How is that Behringer model D, BTW? I've been considering getting one, especially since Moog recently stopped making their MiniMoog D reproduction (which, again, I couldn't afford to splurge on). I'd probably use it with my Novation X-Station 49, which is basically a MIDI/USB keyboard controller with a virtual analog synth bolted onto it.
-Adam

I actually love the Behringer model D... But to be honest, I wouldn't take my word for anything. I'm a total beginner at this stuff. I really am enjoying the heck out of it though.

Speaking of keyboards... I forgot I also have an old Crumar T1... And not a keyboard but I also forgot, an Alesis SR-16 drum machine...

Oh yeah and one more thing... I also forgot I have a MicroKorg as well. :rflmao:

It was mostly what was affordable during the vintage synth price bubble of the early 2000's.

I sold the Yamaha CS-70m and Oberheim OB-Xa during this bubble and was able to put a down payment on a house with the money.

Its different now, you can get all kinds of new analog for a mere pittance. The golden age of synthesis is now.

Old schoolin' !!!

I still have two Alesis dm5 modules, a bunch of pads and a Peavey KB300.

About 15 years ago I left a MiniMoog at a thrift, you never forget doing something that stupid.

VERY nicely done! :thumbsup: Guessing some multitracking was involved for the audio heard in the video. Wish I could play that good. Closest I've come for something like that was probably my take on Lalo Schifrin's "Magnum Force" theme, which I refer to as Magnum Farce. ;) Used the Korg Poly 800's sequencer for the bass line, then used a different preset for the lead via multitracking. Might be able to manage it 'live' using the Korg DS-8 now that I have that, or another of my numerous synth keyboards. Generally, I prefer to record my stuff live, since I'd have to re-create it somehow if I were to gig my freakshow.

As for modern analog, yeah, there's definitely some great stuff available today. Korg seems to be the leader in the field, with stuff like the Monotron, MS-20 Mini, and the kARP Odyssey (as some refer to it). I've considered getting some of these, though I have yet to get to the point of laying out a large amount of cash. The most I've paid for any of my keyboard gear, best as I can recall, was the $300 I paid for my (then-non-functional) ARP Solus. Other than that, I've generally paid $150 or less.
I actually love the Behringer model D... But to be honest, I wouldn't take my word for anything. I'm a total beginner at this stuff. I really am enjoying the heck out of it though.

Speaking of keyboards... I forgot I also have an old Crumar T1... And not a keyboard but I also forgot, an Alesis SR-16 drum machine...

Oh yeah and one more thing... I also forgot I have a MicroKorg as well. :rflmao:
Sounds good to me! :) I consider myself a total beginner as well, even though I've been at this for 10+ years. My methods involve goofing around with the knobs/sliders/switches/buttons, seeing if something quasi-interesting comes of it, and then recording the results to expand upon later.

Have yet to pick up any Crumar stuff, though I've seen their and other cheesy electronic pianos at various swap meets and whatnot. The Roland EP-11 and Yamaha CP-10 thoroughly fulfill my needs for those sounds, really. As far as the MicroKorg goes, I've seen them at various music stores, but have yet to convince myself to buy one. I'm definitely considering getting some of Korg's offerings at some point, as mentioned above.
I still have two Alesis dm5 modules, a bunch of pads and a Peavey KB300.

About 15 years ago I left a MiniMoog at a thrift, you never forget doing something that stupid.
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(

Yeah as far as the MicroKorg goes... Someone was selling it for $80.00. So of course I couldn't pass that one up. It's actually a very fun little machine.

I recently found a Roland JV-1010. I can not get the demo preset to play. I have not tested it with midi input, but I think it may be DOA. I really like the old school synth sound.

I also passed on a Moog module at a thrift years ago. Now I want one so bad.

Nothing serious enough to post. Just a less expensive Yamaha that my daughter and I noodle around on.

Pretty much the same story @ our house @ present, but in the past I have owned (and either traded away or sold) ARP and Moog gear. But what I always wanted but also never obtained (too rare and tres $$$$$) was a fully functional Mellotron. I know, not a synthesizer as such but what an outstanding musical "tool", the SQ, tones, etc. Simply (yet not so simply) sublime.

Still, I've actually enjoyed a lot several of the synth tones we've managed to coax outta the little Yamaha (Model YPT-220).

Last edited:
Yeah as far as the MicroKorg goes... Someone was selling it for $80.00. So of course I couldn't pass that one up. It's actually a very fun little machine.
Yeah, for that price, I would've grabbed it as well. It's an interesting contraption, especially with the built-in vocoder. My latest acquisition in that vein is a Novation X-Station 49, which I found at a flea market for $100. Missing two knobs, but it's fun to play, with all sorts of weird and wacky presets (plus lots of sliders and knobs, not to mention the crazy X/Y touchpad). Examples of my initial noodling around with it can be found here, here and here.
Pretty much the same story @ our house @ present, but in the past I have owned (and either traded away or sold) ARP and Moog gear. But what I always wanted but also never obtained (too rare and tres $$$$$) was a fully functional Mellotron. I know, not a synthesizer as such but what an outstanding musical "tool", the SQ, tones, etc. Simply (yet not so simply) sublime.

Still, I've actually enjoyed a lot several of the synth tones we've managed to coax outta the little Yamaha (Model YPT-220).
I too have long wanted to at least play around with a Mellotron of some sort. I once entered a bid on a M400 which appeared on eBay listed as local pickup only in my general area; the auction was taken down not long afterwards, but at least I can say that I was briefly the high bidder. :) Closest thing I have is the Optigan, which some refer to as the "poor man's Mellotron", though that only applies in comparison to the early two-manual models like the Mark II and M300. I consider it to be more of a "prehistoric Casio", frankly.
-Adam

Back
Top Bottom