Instant Mcintosh System

Smokering

I have been out of Audio while I raised my kids. I recently picked up a pair of Klipsch KG 3.2 speakers. I have an opportunity to buy following McIntosh system from one seller:
MC-2205 Amplifer
C-32 Preamplifier
MR-74 Am/Fm Tuner
MQ-104 Equalizer

The seller can’t demonstrate the system. He is not an audiophile. The system was given to him a couple of years ago.

Since he can’t demonstrate the system, I am only willing to offer $1000.00 to $1200.00.

I know the investment to have work done on vintage gear is non-trivial.

I know this seems like a very lowball offer. But I am risking my hard earned cash.

Should I take some throw away speakers and interconnects to try out the gear ?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
First, welcome to AK!

Cosmetic condition will have a big impact on the equipment's value, so I'd definitely want to look it over as carefully as possible before buying. Even if it's in only fair condition, your offer would be on the low side, IMHO.

Also, even if he doesn't know how to demonstrate the system, could you at least power up the components at the seller's place? I would bring headphones along and a cable to plug a phone into the preamp and/or amp. That way you could play/stream some audio and verify basic operation of the equipment — see if a signal passes from the source through the circuits and out the headphone jacks. If you wanted to go one step further, bring a simple wire FM antenna and RCA cables so you can test the tuner, connecting it to the preamp. (Some later McIntosh tuners have a built-in headphone jack. That MR74 does not.)

Good luck!

If I could get that for $1K and it works, I'd dive onto it. The EQ was made for certain Mc speakers, so you may not need that right away.

How bout $1500.00 ? No boxes or wood cabinets. I have speakers, wires, tools, rca cables, CD player and cds to text it out.

depends on where you live and those market conditions. Around here each of the first three pieces fetch close to $1k.........if not more

F314BABF-1B8F-49C3-A8EB-D2BF6ABEF1BD.jpeg 0CB44E92-959E-4551-96AF-F618E5DC68E0.jpeg So after testing with a CD player/speakers. Here’s the good results:
  • Good audio on my little crappy Bose speakers
  • No smoke, smells or popping when powered up
  • Equalizer knobs change audio as expected
  • Balance works
  • All gain and volume knobs work
  • Glass looks good maybe a little bubbling around amp headphone jack.
Issues:
  • Stereo light never goes red.
  • Amp show a 1/4 deflection from 0 with no input on 1 channel.
  • Meter displays have a few red spots
  • Preamp volume knob causes a minor audible click in the speakers.
  • Record select knob on preamp is very loose

Not sure what input voltage should be set to on MC2205.

I will go to bank and pick up the gear tomorrow.

Any reasons not to store gear in a hot car for 1 day? Temp should only be up to 68 tomorrow. It was hotter today.

I knew the MC-2205 was heavy Carrying it solo is not a good idea.

That. 2205 is going to take some tender loving care, by Audio Classics or Terry Dewick. Does the MQ `104 have its capacitor box? Pretty much useless with out it. MR 74 is considered to be the best sounding from that series. C-32 will need some touching up, its getting on in years. But once fixed up you will have some great sounding older Mac equipment. I would rather have the newer 200 watt integrated receiver. Much better performance, Digital capability, and a better tuner. if a Tuner is a necessity. You can get a MA 6700 with HD AM and HD FM in almost new condition from Audio Classics. They have some pre owned ones in stock. It doesn't hurt to try to twist Steves arm for a better price, either. You know it will be top notch and meet specs and give you many years of service with out constant worries of repairs that you missed.

That. 2205 is going to take some tender loving care, by Audio Classics or Terry Dewick. Does the MQ `104 have its capacitor box? Pretty much useless with out it. MR 74 is considered to be the best sounding from that series. C-32 will need some touching up, its getting on in years. But once fixed up you will have some great sounding older Mac equipment. I would rather have the newer 200 watt integrated receiver. Much better performance, Digital capability, and a better tuner. if a Tuner is a necessity. Audio Classics has some pre-owned MAC 6700 that do HD FM and HD Am. They have digital inputs, level balancing, a Moving coil input, take up a lot less space. They have a higher peak power capability, too. They are quieter for sure. You will have to give up the graphic tone controls and the record selector and those are considerations. But the 6700s are almost new with many trouble free years in the future, where the older Mac will always have a big question mark hanging over head. Audio Classics has a few MAC 6700 needing a home and you have my permission to twist Steve Rowells arm. He is straight forward, warrants what. he sells, has a great tech staff, and will be honest with you. He has the best. packers in the business, too. I guess you could take advantage of Macs trade in program, getting up to 75% of the price of the C-32 and 2205, and what ever the normal deal would be with the MR 74 and MQ 104, but that 2205 is in pretty bad shape. Call Steve and see what he says.

Back
Top Bottom