1961 Statesman II is it worth it?

Kasanay

I have an opportunity to buy a ‘61 Statesman II (provincial).
It appears to be very much intact and quite original.
It has the coveted SA-100 amp and a 202-T tuner. The amp is missing it’s cage (if it ever had one).
The cabinet is in pretty good condition.
Not sure what I would do with another console but I would love to add an SA-100 to the collection.

We are close to a deal but I’m wondering where to draw the line.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

The footprint of a console is large. Do you have room for it? It would be a shame to leave it in storage. Also, moving it around won't be easy if you're not physically fit for it. If it turns out it does need service, are you up financially and physically for getting the work done, either by yourself or by sending it to someone else? Will you play it enough to warrant spending the money? Just some things I consider when deciding. Thorne

The footprint of a console is large. Do you have room for it? It would be a shame to leave it in storage. Also, moving it around won't be easy if you're not physically fit for it. If it turns out it does need service, are you up financially and physically for getting the work done, either by yourself or by sending it to someone else? Will you play it enough to warrant spending the money? Just some things I consider when deciding. Thorne

I'm well aware of these facts. I have several consoles - including a '64 Regent (6' long and nearly 300lbs). I'm a bit of an console addict. I love my collection, but the truth is they don't get much use.
If the one I'm considering was just the components, I would have already made buy. I'm just hesitant in buying another console and it looks too nice to gut.

Aw, go for it Joe. Your Daughter will like this one as well as she likes/liked the Regent. Can't Ever have too many Fisher consoles. Just ask the crazy SOB in Md. who has 9 or 10 depending if you count the 560 companion as a separate unit.

Dispose of some lesser space-taker-uppers, & snag that. It'll all work out. Worth the time & $$ to sort out. Ask Larry. He's packratted a few over the years. Much tech assist available here!:)

Dispose of some lesser space-taker-uppers, & snag that. It'll all work out. Worth the time & $$ to sort out. Ask Larry. He's packratted a few over the years. Much tech assist available here!:)

And just who do you think the Crazy SOB in Md. is????????

I'd feel that, if I had a President, Regent and Executive, I'd need a Statesman as well of any year. 1961 was an incredible year of all Fisher tube units so this is no exception.

You don't want it, I'm sure someone else here would be happy to take it... it'd look nice in my living room.

Hey guys,

The big question remains - How much is too much?
Would you pay $500, $1000, $1500???
I know there are a lot of variables, but generally speaking, what are your thoughts?

Also, I'd like to know if the SA-100 power amps always had the protective covers or not.

Thanks,

Joe Y

Joe; If it's currently working and just needs a tuneup/recap your lower # is a bit high, even in pristine condition, but market conditions prevail in most cases. See if you can find comparable units on E-PREY that have sold and get a high / low spread.

Units in consoles did not generally come with cages, I would imagine as the cabinet was felt to be protective enough.

Larry

Joe; If it's currently working and just needs a tuneup/recap your lower # is a bit high, even in pristine condition, but market conditions prevail in most cases. See if you can find comparable units on E-PREY that have sold and get a high / low spread.

Units in consoles did not generally come with cages, I would imagine as the cabinet was felt to be protective enough.

Larry

I just looked and was not surprised to not fine any '61 Statesman listed, but I did see an AS-100 (without a cage) "serviced" with n asking price of $800 plus shipping. I also know that one sold for $660 a few weeks ago.

I have seen the 202T listed in the $200 range.

Maybe I up my offer a little and see what happens.

Thanks,

I'd go for it. Nice console and the early statesman.

I've never seen a $200 202T, even beat up ones. The only cheap 202T's I've seen are "buy it now" auctions where the person had no idea of what they were selling. The 202T's are fairly scarce and the SA100 is a great amplifier. If in good condition I'd make them an offer. It's a shame the cage is missing as they can be difficult to locate.

Last edited:
Well, I’m probably going to regret it for a long time to come, but I let this one go.
Hopefully some other AKer picked it up.22407F70-8B3E-4958-861E-75012DCECEF5.jpeg6505F34F-FFBE-4C0D-BD40-579C51961B06.jpegF8E63927-9D29-48BC-86B8-2A8E2997955A.jpeg5E712DED-4192-461D-85AB-E5B147BF9443.jpeg4F6AB731-0D48-4BC9-9856-F611871E409C.jpegF58BCA06-8EFA-4060-B023-146B98972B3A.jpeg0F94C5D0-1C3F-491F-A9E0-155E8D6FF2B6.jpeg

Well, I’m probably going to regret it for a long time to come, but I let this one go.
Hopefully some other AKer picked it up.View attachment 1291034View attachment 1291035View attachment 1291036View attachment 1291037View attachment 1291038View attachment 1291039View attachment 1291040
Ahhh...
You should change your mind quick!
I have had 14 consoles in my home at one time... the only ones I regretted are the ones I didn't get, and the ones I sold. Never regretted a buy.

About how much did you save by not getting it? Lotta desirable iron in there... hope it doesn't get gutted.

About how much did you save by not getting it? Lotta desirable iron in there... hope it doesn't get gutted.

That’s hard to say. I had the purchase price negotiated down to $450. But, I would have had to rent a van as the thing wouldn’t fit in my Venza. Then there’s the rebuild cost.

I had to do the same when I got mine... that's a fair price considering all that it has.

I see it has a type A Garrard. That maybe was upgraded from the 88. Or could it be later production... my Executive has the 88.

Back
Top Bottom