MY FIRST FISHER!!! But it's a console

70's Silver

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg :thumbsup::thumbsup:I replied to a CL posting a couple of days ago and never heard back so I figured someone beat me to it. Well this morning I get a call and the gentleman says he is just now returning calls. In the car and on the road. This Fisher was purchased by his father brand new in the sixties. I know very little about Fishers but have recently been bitten by the tube bug so when I saw the condition of this piece I had to have it. This console must weigh over two hundred pounds. Sorry for the poor pics, I can't get it out of the 4Runner until I get help. Anyone have any ideas what model this is or if I did alright. Craig (70's Silver) will post better pics after its unloaded.:blah:

The Premiere receiver is the console version of the otherwise known as "600" receiver, which was Fisher's very first stereo receiver they produced. The Premiere and 600 are identical except for the name on the face plate. It does not have a MPX unit in it because FM Stereo MPX would not be approved for a few more years. These units date to 1959. This unit was able to receive the short lived AM-FM Stereo broadcasts, where and AM station broadcast the right channel, and an FM sister station broadcast the left. That's why this unit has two separate tuning dials, and two completely separate AM and FM tuner sections that can both operate at the same time. It does have the facilities to connect an outboard stand alone MPX unit that will then allow the reception of modern FM Stereo MPX signals. The early Fisher receivers were some of the best sounding equipment Fisher made. No doubt Larry will chime in soon as he is the resident expert on all the console models and when they were produced. Until then however, ya done good!

Dave

Beautiful console, always thought the 500S was Fishers first stereo? Could be wrong though...... Welcome to AK ! Al

Last edited:
Al; Actually the TA-600 and TA-800 beat the 500S by 2 and 1 years respectively.

70's Silver: You did good son! The model you have is a 1960 Premiere Model # F-220. Dave is correct in that the TA-600 was originally produced in 1959 and it had a 2 year run with 5 different variations up thru it's lifetime. So when you get the Service Manual, get the one for the PREMIERE F-220 1960 model console. It will have the correct version of the schematics. If you just get a copy of the Service manual for the TA-600, make sure the serial number range on the manual fit's the serial # of your model. http://www.fisherconsoles.com/

Nothing wrong with starting your FISHER Collection with a console. I started out with a '65 Custom Electra VIII with the Hybrid amp back in 2009. Over the years, I've gotten 11 more, one or two to harvest the working guts and scrap the totally gone cabinets. But now I have a couple of spare amps and preamp/tuners for my 64 Custom Electra VII's. All working and overhauled.
Here are the consoles.
1951 FISHER Coronet (WR-11) R-3 Mono Chassis
1958 FISHER Contemporary (C-800) R20 Mono Chassis
1959 FISHER 510/610 Consolette (I have both the 510 and 610 chassis')
1960 FISHER 560 Companion to the Consolette (makes it Stereo) 30-A Chassis
1961 FISHER CORONET II(C-55) Cabinet only.
1963 FISHER EXECUTIVE VIII (Model 950) 800-c Receiver, Ampex R2R, Garrard Type A MK-II
1964 FISHER Custom Electra VII (E-49) 481-A, 590-T Chassis Modern #1
1964 FISHER Custom Electra VII (E-49) 481-A, 590-T Chassis Modern #2 (Parts only now, Cabinet rotted out and scrapped)
1964 FISHER Custom Electra VII (E-49) 481-A, 590-T Chassis Early American (cabinet to Daughter in Law for blanket chest. Parts on hand for #1 Modern)
1965 FISHER Custom Electra VIII(E-490) 49-A, 49-T Chassis Hybrid Amp
1965 FISHER Futura VI (F-590) 59-A, 59-T Chassis Hybrid Amp.
1969 FISHER Royal Electra (E-494) Cabinet only

The Coronet II and the Royal Electra Cabinets are parts units now. All of this plus the separates, in an 1100sqft Rancher with a basement. In addition to the Coronet II and the R.E. the '65 Custom Electra VIII are in the basement. The rest are upstairs.

So don't feel that it's stigma to get a console for your 1st FISHER. The Premiere is a kick ass console once you get the TA-600 up to snuff. Recap the crossovers, and it's all over. Even tho it's a 7189 powered amp, it'll still rattle windows and wake up neighbors 2 houses down (if the houses are less than 8 ft apart).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my post.
Larry, thanks for the link. I found the service manual for this unit (S/N: 46167) if anyone is keeping a database.
I am just starting to get into tubes and honestly was going to keep the receiver only, but can't allow myself to break it up. It's just to nice of a unit and belongs in the right home. I don't have room for a console or the knowledge to work on them.
Larry, PM sent

Congrats! Nice piece of Fisher history there, and it looks to be in very nice condition. I love my TA600, you will be very pleased .

Ooh, a Premiere with the TA-600. Nice score. These are nice sounding receivers. Be sure to check out Dave's service bulletin for the early 600.

early is sort of a relative thing. There were 5 series of this, serial numbers starting with 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 respectively. 1-4 are basically the "early" ones with the 7199 driver. The 5xxxxx series are the "late" ones running a 7247. Mine is one of the late ones.

70's Silver;

Nice find! The cabinet is in very nice condition. If you restore the receiver and service the record changer you will have a very nice stereo console. As Dave mentioned you can add a multiplex decoder to it and listen to FM stereo then. There are a number of ways to do that. Fisher made stand-alone and add-on multiplex chassis for their stereo consoles of that period to allow customers to upgrade their systems. Even a multiplex decoder from another manufacturer can often be used with the Fisher units of this era.

Larry is right, you will not find the unit lacking in volume or response, especially with the speakers it came with (Larry did mention restoring the cross-over networks). Other speakers could be used but stay with efficient ones.

You will find plenty of help available here.:thumbsup:

Joe

A plan.

The cab can be used as a great place to place a flat screen.

Just an option and then guts can be pulled and restored or at least tested.

Thanks everyone. As I stated earlier I will not gut it out. If I can find room I will send the receiver out and have it gone through. 2nd option is find a caretaker who will preserve it. Thanks again. Craig (70's Silver)

70's Silver, I didn't mean to sound presumptuous. No doubt you will do the right thing and have every right to do as you please with it.
It's just such a treasure that's in great shape. Most consoles are crumby, but this one is a classic with clean lines. Congratulations!

Nice! That's a wonderful looking piece in great condition. I'm not at French Provencal style fan, but that would be hard not to display, even amongst all my MCM furnishings.
My TA600 is getting restored as we speak and I am looking forward to using it. Gonna have to hunt down the MPX for it.

Ilikevinyl. It's got a Garrard RC-88 in it.
First of all great find 70's Silver! larryderouin I have the same model console and I am currently restoring the cabinet. I have already sent out the ta-600 to get checked and to get it back to specs. You mentioned to refreshen the crossovers. What brand of caps would be Ideal to use as replacements for the crossovers? Any info we would be appreciated and thanks in advance lopezluna

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom