Help With Purchase of New AV Processor

kfalls

The power supply in my Emotiva UMC-200 went out. They are out of production and Emotiva doesn't repair them anymore (also out of warranty). They have offered their MC-700 at a $300 discount, normally $699. I eventually want to go ATMOS, but not ready quite yet. What are your thoughts or opinions?

Were my UMC-200 to have power supply problems I'd jump on the MC-700 at the discount price. FWIW: My UMC-200 was repaired once by Emotiva.

I would wait to buy an ATMOS capable receiver until you are ready for the entire ATMOS setup. AV receivers become obsolete faster than you say "out of date".

Except for a receiver/processor, I have all I need for the upgrade. I have more than enough speaker and amplifier options. I understand how things change quickly. I made the mistake once purchasing a Lexicon CP1+ surround processor for $1500. Then Dolby Digital (AC3 at the time) came out with all discrete channels and full-range surrounds. I still have the Lexicon. I couldn't sell it for what it's worth to me.

Were my UMC-200 to have power supply problems I'd jump on the MC-700 at the discount price. FWIW: My UMC-200 was repaired once by Emotiva.

Was it for the power supply issue? I may purchase the MC-700 anyway just to get the deal. If it isn't what I'm looking for it can go back.

With mine the problem was a couple of bad caps on the HDMI board. Emotiva repaired it for free under the warranty. I also have an XDA-2 (second generation). I'm quite satisfied with both.

The minute I read your title I thought about maybe a pre-owned Denon, but there is no way a great pre-owned previous generation Denon can compete with the prices you are talking about.

With mine the problem was a couple of bad caps on the HDMI board. Emotiva repaired it for free under the warranty. I also have an XDA-2 (second generation). I'm quite satisfied with both.

I also have several Emotiva pieces as well as some of their cables. I have their UMC-1, XPA-5, ERM-1, ERD-1, A-100. For the most part, I've been happy with them (Except the whole UMC-1 debacle), but I feel they're pricing themselves out of the market. The XPA-5 is now more than twice the price I paid for mine. My major concern is the new processor will have the same software issues Emotiva has had with processors in the past.

The minute I read your title I thought about maybe a pre-owned Denon, but there is no way a great pre-owned previous generation Denon can compete with the prices you are talking about.

A Denon is not a bad option. I've had Denon in the past and have been very happy with the sound. I'm still leaning toward the MC-700. At least for evaluation. If it's not to my liking I can always send it back.

If I experienced the same problem with my UMC-200 as you I wouldn't hesitate to take Emotiva up on their discount offer on the MC-700. You can always return it if you're not satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom