Door baffle installed

opusarlo

Just waiting on female Speak-on terminals, and I can fire this up.

Update - Done with the wiring, the subs are firing!!!

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-6_10-18-27.png
    upload_2018-9-6_10-18-27.png
    384.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
The gap at the bottom (between door and carpet), is that were the folded transmission line ends?
The gap is engineered there to accommodate power and signal wires that will feed at least one amplifier behind the door. I will install a flexible "mudflap" on the bottom of the door with holes cut in it for the wires. Not trying to sound too much like a D-bag, but I would rather install the pro amps behind the baffle so I can look at the McIntosh blue lights on the rack without distraction. The door will remain functional with a barn door handle installed to open and close it. Cam locks will hold the door securely closed.

nice ultimaxs, those move a lot of air, I would be concerned with how airtight the door is, perhaps retrofitting some type of shower door rubber seal?

Also the mudflap idea is pretty cool but you are going to get a TON of loss through it, not to mention it will be blowing around and making noise constantly.

I'm not sure what's behind that wall but I would drill through and snake the signal and power cables (run dedicated outlet if need be) through the wall to the left of the baffle door, use something like this low to the ground, I am assuming there's room back.

81%2BM4Par3KL._SY679_.jpg

It'll have better function & form than runningrwires on ground

If your going to go all out on an IB system the last thing you want is sealing/vibration/mechanical noise issues

That's a cool idea. And all the suggestions have been quite good, as well. But I'm sure the OP will work thru any problems that pop up as he integrates this system. IB used to be quite commonly used in the 50s and 60s, with many speaker manufacturers offering guidelines for installation in walls, ceilings, attics, and basements. It'll be interesting to hear how this works out.

To the OP: Is that a solid core door? What kind of amps will you be using to drive the subs? What kind of subs are they? How did you decide to use those specific speakers? Do you have an estimated crossover point that you will use for these? Will you be using active crossovers?

I like your idea and will be waiting to hear the results. And I certainly don't blame you for wanting to make your McIntosh gear the center of attention. That kind of gear is very expensive, looks like it, and deserves to be shown off!

GeeDeeEmm

Depending on the size of the area behing the door it's possible it's an infinite baffle.
It is infinite baffle. The room is 1000 cubes if empty, but it is not nearly empty. Going to move stuff around to find out just how many cubes work best.

nice ultimaxs, those move a lot of air, I would be concerned with how airtight the door is, perhaps retrofitting some type of shower door rubber seal?

Also the mudflap idea is pretty cool but you are going to get a TON of loss through it, not to mention it will be blowing around and making noise constantly. If your going to go all out on an IB system the last thing you want is sealing/vibration/mechanical noise issues

The mudflap will be on the inside of the door so the pressure only creates a tighter seal.

That's a cool idea. And all the suggestions have been quite good, as well. But I'm sure the OP will work thru any problems that pop up as he integrates this system. IB used to be quite commonly used in the 50s and 60s, with many speaker manufacturers offering guidelines for installation in walls, ceilings, attics, and basements. It'll be interesting to hear how this works out.

To the OP: Is that a solid core door? What kind of amps will you be using to drive the subs? What kind of subs are they? How did you decide to use those specific speakers? Do you have an estimated crossover point that you will use for these? Will you be using active crossovers?

I like your idea and will be waiting to hear the results. And I certainly don't blame you for wanting to make your McIntosh gear the center of attention. That kind of gear is very expensive, looks like it, and deserves to be shown off!

GeeDeeEmm
Absolutely a solid core door and 3/4 plywood on top and bottom as well for 3.25" total thickness. I am using a Behringer iNuke 6000 on Dayton UM 18 subs (1k wpc rms handling). The amp claims 3k wpc, but it bench tests closer to 2k wpc. I chose the Daytons because they were capable when plugged into winISD, and the other manufacturer's site was hacked. I was also considering Stereo Integrity, but the daytons priced out better and performed well on the Data-Bass. I currently have the subs crossed at 80, but will likely be fiddling around with it until I find the sweet spot. I will be using the DSP/active crossover that is built in the iNuke unless I find it is lacking - Behringer is not known for super high quality gear. Thank you for taking the time to look.

Some round foam pipe insulation maybe? It comes in different diameters. Has a slit down the side so it could be slipped over the bottom of the door.

Back
Top Bottom