Stumbled upon a pair of NS-1000 Monitors

TomInTacoma

d/b/a Vinyl Reclamation
Sponsor
I find that when you stop looking for something - sometimes fate has a way of putting it right in front of you when you least expect it.

I was picking up a load of turntable parts machines from a supplier when I spot a pair of boxes in the background. I asked if there really were NS-1000M's in the boxes - he verified there were. After a few minutes of back and forth, they came home with me.

They're set up alongside the Carver ALS and I've been doing some A/B comparisons (the Carvers have long been the winners of A/B compares in the past). I do believe the Carvers have met their match. Twice I had to verify the sub (Snell Sub-500) was indeed NOT playing along with the Yamaha's - they really don't need one!

All I can say is I'm a very happy camper!

41244228_10215229766829730_1884069601474510848_n.jpg

I find that when you stop looking for something - sometimes fate has a way of putting it right in front of you when you least expect it.

I was picking up a load of turntable parts machines from a supplier when I spot a pair of boxes in the background. I asked if there really were NS-1000M's in the boxes - he verified there were. After a few minutes of back and forth, they came home with me.

They're set up alongside the Carver ALS and I've been doing some A/B comparisons (the Carvers have long been the winners of A/B compares in the past). I do believe the Carvers have met their match. Twice I had to verify the sub (Snell Sub-500) was indeed NOT playing along with the Yamaha's - they really don't need one!

41244228_10215229766829730_1884069601474510848_n.jpg
Like the Yamahas, like the wolf too.

Well .. That may be your personal opinion..I guess Yamaha engineering had it all wrong.
LOL! You have a great day avionics. Passive crossovers introduce group delay. You move the voice coil closer, not away from the listener, to maintain time alignment.

Last edited:
LOL! You have a great day avionics. Passive crossovers introduce group delay. You move the voice coil closer, not away from the listener, to maintain time alignment.
That's a great theory, but really, in this case they are meant by the designer and manufacturer to be placed with the mid drivers and tweeters on the outside. Just like the OP placed them. That's why they clearly state 'left' and 'right' on the speakers.

I was confused about L/R when I got mine. I searched for images of the correct orientation and it was 50/50 on how they should be set-up. Even Yamaha was confused, using images in official literature with the logo in and logo out.

Logo in:

NS-1000_____________-O-EN1-906-YAM.jpg

Logo out:

btn05_e027696b2b21db6e159569b45a60929a.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great theory, but really, in this case they are meant by the designer and manufacturer to be placed with the mid drivers and tweeters on the outside. Just like the OP placed them. That's why they clearly state 'left' and 'right' on the speakers.
YAmaha-NS-1000M.jpg

The new NS-5000 series carries on the tradition of the original NS-1000's and for the exact same reason places the time alignment of the mid and tweeter drivers closer to the listening position for the very reason I stated...

ns-5000_main_1200x480_d36faefddf0df26782687b40215166a3.jpg

Yamaha NS-5000: first presentation in Japan

For the first time about the creation of a new high-end NS NS-5000, Yamaha Corporation reported back in September last year. Despite the demonstration of the prototype at the Tokyo International Audio Show in Tokyo in Tokyo, the new model was not ready yet and preparations for production, configuration and modification took several months.

Yamaha.jpgts_ns5k01.jpg
Yamaha_12.jpg

Last edited:
KENRICK! REALLY!

damn, those sound nice.
Kendrick does good work on his refreshes. I was at Altec-Lansing from 86-98, and some of his reworks of our designs have been really good. Many don't know the relationship we at Altec had with Yamaha, and they used our drivers in many of their pro series speakers in the late 80's and 90's.

Last edited:

It is great that you found a pair, and I'm envious. Just a little note on the rest of the conversation in your thread, when Yamaha first released the NS-1000M models, numerous studios were just salivating to throw down the big bucks for the new offering from Yamaha in the mid 70's, and initially they were marked as L&R on the back panel, however, through numerous complaints to Yamaha and many hours of listening tests in the late 70's, it was determined the ideal listening configuration for the NS-1000M was 2.8m separation, just next to the wall, 15 degree toe-in and tweeters inboard, with labels out. This is why you see the newer orientation for almost every sales shot and certainly the way in which they are oriented for demo's and sales seminars, including the new NS-5000's. If you ever want to get rid of yours, I'm sure many of us would love to take them off your hands!

Last edited:
Enjoy - everything good said about the speaker here and on other forums is true. Its a real classic so place it in the way you like the sound best. I use mine tweeters outside as labelled on the enclosures (L and R) and like them best that way.

If you are looking at the back of the speaker to see the serial number, wouldn't the L speaker be on the right side if one is following the lettering? Are we sure Yamaha was doing the same thing instead of putting the letter on there to show which side to put the speaker when you can see the letter?

I like the idea of listening where they sound best.

If you are looking at the back of the speaker to see the serial number, wouldn't the L speaker be on the right side if one is following the lettering? Are we sure Yamaha was doing the same thing instead of putting the letter on there to show which side to put the speaker when you can see the letter?

I like the idea of listening where they sound best.
It wasn't like using stage L&R, which is opposite of audience L&R. There is a Left oriented high frequency driver set, and a Right oriented driver set. You certainly wouldn't want two R or L's. There was in the late 70's, a bunch of discussion over this issue, and magazines like HiFi and StereoReview was doing print on how many of the studios who were installing them, complaining about using them for engineering rooms, due to time alignment. Yamaha listened and did a bunch of listening tests in various room settings, including studio work, and that's why you see them no longer promoting the original setup, in fact, you see as I stated before, both in their print and demo's of this cabinet design. You can't get away from physics, or the group delay. Driver voice coil time alignment is important. I find the staunch position of some to be as strange as someone arguing since the schematic states this or that, even though wrong, that they will replace the device (and wrongly too) with what the schematic states, for no other reason that it states it. Go figure...

Last edited:
It wasn't like using stage L&R, which is opposite of audience L&R. There is a Left oriented high frequency driver set, and a Right oriented driver set. You certainly wouldn't want two R or L's. There was in the late 70's, a bunch of discussion over this issue, and magazines like HiFi and StereoReview was doing print on how many of the studios who were installing them, complaining about using them for engineering rooms, due to time alignment. Yamaha listened and did a bunch of listening tests in various room settings, including studio work, and that's why you see them no longer promoting the original setup, in fact, you see as I stated before, both in their print and demo's of this cabinet design. You can't get away from physics, or the group delay. Driver voice coil time alignment is important. I find the staunch position of some to be as strange as someone arguing since the schematic states this or that, even though wrong, that they will replace the device (and wrongly too) with what the schematic states, for no other reason that it states it. Go figure...
you make too much sense DB :)

I have to admit I was using them as the stickers indicate, but I will give it a shot and switch them around to see what I like best. I think I should find a way to connect two sets and do an A/B session.

Back
Top Bottom