Recommend speakers to match with a CR-820

wade68

Looking for ideas on speakers that will be a good match for listening to vinyl on a BIC 960 into a CR-820. I'd like to keep the cost at no more than $500/pr. What do you guys suggest as a good fit in this range?

Searching around I see that Merrylander suggests that Polk is a good match, though he didn't specify a particular model. Someone mentioned EPI, and someone else Mission 770 Freedom's.

I second the Missions.
Never heard a Mission speaker I didn;t like, but my 761's are only 4 Ohm and not the most efficient.

EPI 100's are great sounding vintage speakers as well
http://www.audioreview.com/product/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/epi/100.html
Also Dynaco A-25's, which are rated 15-75 watts and have more of the "laid back" sound (but a great tweeters too)
if that's your sound.
Personally I think everybody who likes music and audio gear should hear and roll through a set of EPI's and Dynaco's in their systems at least once in their life.

Looking for ideas on speakers that will be a good match for listening to vinyl on a BIC 960 into a CR-820. I'd like to keep the cost at no more than $500/pr. What do you guys suggest as a good fit in this range?
This kind of question is so very subjective. A couple rules of thumb to keep in mind, like avionics suggested, you'll want a fairly efficient design, and 50 watts is enough if you aren't looking for really high SPL. Speaking of BIC, if I could find an original pair in good shape, the Formula 6 (first series) was a great sounding speaker, however, I doubt you could find any in decent shape. (and if anyone has changed the drivers you don't want them)

Last edited:
I should have noted that I have hereditary degenerative hearing loss, with concomitant tinnitus. Therefore, volume is not something I'm focused on, as I don't want to exacerbate my issues. I don't know if "clarity" is the right term for what I'm seeking, but it's the best I can think of at the moment.

Polk 7's. Perfect match. Probably around a hundred bucks. Try to get the Peerless tweeter.
Boston Acoustics A150's would be another good choice. Maybe a buck-fiddy but they usually need surrounds. Any of the A series will be good but the 150's are the models that go from good to great.
The EPI 100's are also a great match, as said earlier. A little harder to find then the others.

FWIW it's my belief the JBL's are heaven if you listen to rock almost all the time. If your tastes run all over you may want something more detailed and less fatiguing.
Just my opinion, of course. JBL sure has a lot of followers, hence the high prices they fetch.

FWIW it's my belief the JBL's are heaven if you listen to rock almost all the time. If your tastes run all over you may want something more detailed and less fatiguing.
Just my opinion, of course. JBL sure has a lot of followers, hence the high prices they fetch.
My tastes run the gamut, so more detailed and less fatiguing is spot on.

Suggestions so far have been exclusively vintage. Are there any new (or newer) speakers that you guys could recommend? My budget is not written in stone.

As a follow up....of all the recommended vintage speakers in this thread, which would you say are more detailed and less fatiguing? Anyone can jump in here...

Strictly an opinion, probably the A-25's are the most subdued, therefore less fatiguing, than the others. But they don't have the detail of the Polk 7's or the early EPI 100. Those two are gems. If I had one choice only and it was available it would be the 7's with the Peerless tweeter. Every time I hear my pair they just amaze me. Even with a wimpy receiver. The Yamaha-Polk synergy is real.
Probably my favorite bargain speaker are the A series Boston Acoustics and I have had them all. Currently the 70's, 3 pairs of 150's, the 200's and 400's. I had stacked 150's with a CR2020. They sold tons of the 150's because they were impossible to beat for the money. By now they all need surrounds if they haven't been done, I had to refoam all mine but they were all nearly give-aways. They are rather easy to do, though.
Just my thoughts. I listen to a very wide variety of genres and love the one I mentioned.

As a follow up....of all the recommended vintage speakers in this thread, which would you say are more detailed and less fatiguing? Anyone can jump in here...

The Cizek Model 2s are some of the best if not outright the best vintage speakers I've heard, particularly of those that'll be happy with a lower wattage amp. Very detailed, not at all fatiguing. The guy was an outright genius.

Finding a pair in good shape may put you out of budget, though -- last I saw on the 'bay were around $750.

They're also fairly rare and may be difficult to find period.

If you see Boston Acoustics A400s I strongly recommend them as well. Less detail, a little more laid back than the Cizek, but easy to listen to and plenty of punch without being at all boomy. I miss mine.

Back
Top Bottom