How to power on amps with no on/off switch?

z-adamson

Addicted Member
I know I can plug in and unplug to turn on and off, but I was hoping that there is a better way.

Is there some kind of power strip with a heavy duty switch that would allow for powering on and off amplifiers? A switch heavy duty enough to power of 2 or 3 amplifiers at once without wearing out in short order?

Amplifier in question: Hafler DH200 with switch bypassed.

If I could hook 3 DH200 amps to a single strip and power on and off all 3 at once and do so reliably, cool. What kind of strip would you recommend?

1800w at 120v . but there will be spike as they charge up ... i would go for highest rating of the outlet .. not a good idea going larger .

1800w at 120v . but there will be spike as they charge up ... i would go for highest rating of the outlet .. not a good idea going larger .
What if I was to make my own box, wire it with 10 or 12 gauge, use two duplex receptacles and a single toggle switch (like a light switch). Receptacles and switch rated to 20 amps?

Would this work? I am more worried about the switch than I am the receptacles. Turning off and on with this load could lead to arcing and premature wear I think.

It's mostly the surge at turn on that can result in high current draw. In use, they will not be playing full-tilt...

light switches so far as i know wont be expecting the same current as something plugged into the wall .. you have to check the current rating of what you want to use . which cannot be more than is available . well it can for a brief moment ..

dabd3be186b5916724a77a4eb6a62745.jpg

light switches so far as i know wont be expecting the same current as something plugged into the wall .. you have to check the current rating of what you want to use . which cannot be more than is available . well it can for a brief moment ..

Light switches have the same amperage rating as the branch circuit, 15 amps. These switches are also used to make outlets switched to operate table lamps, etc.

I use Adcom ACE-515 switches and power conditioner units. Its an old Vintage piece -
it has a sense cable you plug into a switched power outlet on your preamp, tuner or whatever you use as a friend end -and provides delayed power up and power down sequences for your power amps.
I have 2 in my system, one for the main power amp, and one for the secondary 5ch amps for surround channels.

I use Furman or Monster Power units on all of my systems--surge protection, line conditioning, and sequencing functions--so one switch powers everything up and down in proper order.

You can buy 20 amp rated switches too. Often they're sold as furnace cut-off switches. I would not use a typical cheesy light switch for something like this. Of course I don't favor the typical cheesy outlets either. I like 20 amp ones with the wire clamps, not the cheap ones that the wire has to wrap around the screws on.

or replace the switches in the amps and just turn them on in the usual manner.

I know I can plug in and unplug to turn on and off, but I was hoping that there is a better way.

Is there some kind of power strip with a heavy duty switch that would allow for powering on and off amplifiers? A switch heavy duty enough to power of 2 or 3 amplifiers at once without wearing out in short order?

Amplifier in question: Hafler DH200 with switch bypassed.

If I could hook 3 DH200 amps to a single strip and power on and off all 3 at once and do so reliably, cool. What kind of strip would you recommend?

A 40 amp triac controlled by a light duty switch? The switch just handles a small gate current, the triac takes the big hit. There's a thread here about switching a single amp with a triac. Shouldn't be hard (or expensive) to do.

You can buy 20 amp rated switches too. Often they're sold as furnace cut-off switches. I would not use a typical cheesy light switch for something like this. Of course I don't favor the typical cheesy outlets either. I like 20 amp ones with the wire clamps, not the cheap ones that the wire has to wrap around the screws on.

or replace the switches in the amps and just turn them on in the usual manner.
You can also buy 30 amp switches (that look like light switched).

I am thinking about building something with 20 amp receptacles and 30 amp heavy duty switches.

Still not sure if they are rated for this kind of use.

says 600 max on rear panel . so can only think it is the max it will ever draw .
although start up current may well be briefly much higher .

Back
Top Bottom