Kappa 9 cabs leaky

Superampman

AK Member
Just interested in opinions on the carpet style covering on the baffles. I don't see how the cabs won't have serious issues with leaking. No way you can tighten any of the drivers enough to seal them, especially the Emits. This can't help but have impedance issues as well

I think you can, if your cabs have been messed with previously and it doesn't take much to buger those holes. You can keep your original screws, a trip to Ace hardware to find the correct T-nuts that fit and a commitment to install them properly should yield decent results.

I wish I had your problem :thumbsup:.

I think you can, if your cabs have been messed with previously and it doesn't take much to buger those holes. You can keep your original screws, a trip to Ace hardware to find the correct T-nuts that fit and a commitment to install them properly should yield decent results.

I wish I had your problem :thumbsup:.
Huh?

https://www.rockler.com/screw-on-te...MI___oyLa13QIVioh-Ch2KtwypEAQYASABEgJ9L_D_BwE

If your driver screw holes no longer hold the screw tight enough to seal the speaker to the cabinet, these can be used to remedy that situation. They have these at Ace & the Hex head screws to match the new thread pitch and the look of your old ones. HTH.
Okay, I think you misread my op, no mention of screws there. The carpet like fabric on the baffles is impossible to compress enough to stop airflow through it.

Any Drivers that Matter, particularly the two Woofers, should have Basket to Cabinet Gaskets. I pulled the 12" Woofers off a Kappa 8 before, and don't remember that being an issue. The Mids have their own cavity, and the EMIT itself is sealed, and I believe the Baffle is only recessed to accommodate the EMIT, not a thru hole, so sealing isn't a factor.

Okay, I think you misread my op, no mention of screws there. The carpet like fabric on the baffles is impossible to compress enough to stop airflow through it.
Why not simply cut it with a razor, install a thin weatherstripping on the basket of the driver, and mate that directly to the baffle?

I think you're making a tempest in a teapot.
My brothers Kappa 9 have no lack of bass whatsoever.
He's three hundred miles away, or I'd pop over there and pull a woofer to see if there's a gasket or not, but I really don't think you have to worry.

Yeah now I'm curious, do you actually own Kappa 9's or are you just speculating ?

At least as a former Kappa 8 owner ( son owns them now ) if the drivers are properly tightened they do make a tight seal, also with the amount of stuffing inside, if the Kappa 9 is the same it really doesn't allow for a lot of air movement IMHO.

There are gaskets on all the drivers. The problem is they're very thin and might as well not be there since they sit on top of essentially carpet.
Any Drivers that Matter, particularly the two Woofers, should have Basket to Cabinet Gaskets. I pulled the 12" Woofers off a Kappa 8 before, and don't remember that being an issue. The Mids have their own cavity, and the EMIT itself is sealed, and I believe the Baffle is only recessed to accommodate the EMIT, not a thru hole, so sealing isn't a factor.
Yes the Emits are sealed but they're not sealed against the cabs, they are in fact through holes, even the Semit. All of the drivers matter. If they didn't, they would not have installed that inadequate thin gasket on all of them. None of them sit directly against the cab except for the rear mounted Emit.
Yeah now I'm curious, do you actually own Kappa 9's or are you just speculating ?

At least as a former Kappa 8 owner ( son owns them now ) if the drivers are properly tightened they do make a tight seal, also with the amount of stuffing inside, if the Kappa 9 is the same it really doesn't allow for a lot of air movement IMHO.
No, they do not make anything near a "tight seal". If you attempt it you will just break the threads in the particle board and make a new, worse issue. The loose stuffing has no effect on air movement whatsoever.
Why not simply cut it with a razor, install a thin weatherstripping on the basket of the driver, and mate that directly to the baffle?
Yes, I have cut around each driver, removed the fabric, and made/installed 1/16" thick rubber/cork gaskets I made out of sheet stock. When pushed down on, the woofers now return slowly to their rest position.

These speakers do go quite low but I always thought they should be more dynamic given the 4 12" woofers. I am still in the midst of getting them in shape so I am not yet able to compare to how they sounded in the past.

I'm telling you, there is NO lack of bass on my brothers 9's He's powering them with a pair of Pass Labs monoblock tube amps, and runs them in extended mode.
He does NOT use a subwoofer. It's been about six months since I last heard them, we were watching films on them and they are amazing.

I personally have five pairs of near TOTL Infinity speakers right now, and his 9's output as much bass as any of mine.
Crescendo 3009 dual 10" woofers ported (two pair)
RS2B dual 10" woofers sealed
Ren 90 single watkins dual voice coil 10"

Plus I owned Kappa 8.1 til I traded 7.62 for them, and he has a pair of 2.5 with watkins 12" that are amazing

As to comments about the emits..... well, you can say whatever you want, my RS 2b emits have no airspace behind them whatsoever, simply mounted in the wood (no cabinet on top) my EMIMS are dipolar (on rs2b) mounted in the same wood.

I'd suggest going 7.62's route and replace the wood screws, but your problems lie elsewhere then the mating of the woofers to the cabinet. (amplification would be my first thought, wired out of phase would be next) you are using the original wiring harness right? 7.62 said his Kappa 8 or 9 (forget which) never sounded right with a replacement new harness.

Your 9's, do they pass the push test?
(push in one woofer, the other woofer moves out at the same rate, and after you stop pushing, they slowly both come back to rest with amplifier OFF)

I'm telling you, there is NO lack of bass on my brothers 9's He's powering them with a pair of Pass Labs monoblock tube amps, and runs them in extended mode.
He does NOT use a subwoofer. It's been about six months since I last heard them, we were watching films on them and they are amazing.

I personally have five pairs of near TOTL Infinity speakers right now, and his 9's output as much bass as any of mine.
Crescendo 3009 dual 10" woofers ported (two pair)
RS2B dual 10" woofers sealed
Ren 90 single watkins dual voice coil 10"

Plus I owned Kappa 8.1 til I traded 7.62 for them, and he has a pair of 2.5 with watkins 12" that are amazing

As to comments about the emits..... well, you can say whatever you want, my RS 2b emits have no airspace behind them whatsoever, simply mounted in the wood (no cabinet on top) my EMIMS are dipolar (on rs2b) mounted in the same wood.

I'd suggest going 7.62's route and replace the wood screws, but your problems lie elsewhere then the mating of the woofers to the cabinet. (amplification would be my first thought, wired out of phase would be next) you are using the original wiring harness right? 7.62 said his Kappa 8 or 9 (forget which) never sounded right with a replacement new harness.

Your 9's, do they pass the push test?
(push in one woofer, the other woofer moves out at the same rate, and after you stop pushing, they slowly both come back to rest with amplifier OFF)
thanks for the input

I have the 9s as well with no lack of bass in normal mode. In fact I have my tone control on the bass slightly down or it will knock me out of the room. I definitely do not need a sub with these. If the volume knob goes way up I start to feel the bass in the sofa I’m on. Maybe if U could send some pics of what you have done that would be helpful. I’m intrigued.

Jazzman ur right they are sealed tight I pushed on the top 12 inch woofer and the bottom one moved out. I would have to assume that they are very close to being airtight or sealed enough for the woofers to respond that way. Just like my dual 12 inch M & K sub that’s sealed. I was curious. Also Super let us know your findings if you found a improvement in bass.

Last edited:
I just can't imagine Infinity not knowing, it's almost like saying hey let's put out thousands of defective speakers ? The 9's, 8's 7'ns and Sixes all had the same felt baffle on the front. I'm not trying to diss the OP but I wouldn't have cut that felt back like that. Also I would keep your original crossovers, maybe replacing caps but don't do the eBay thing I can tell you from experience with my Kappa 8's you'll loose the magic if it's ok to say that, the only word I have. I agree with Bahama. Pics would be neat.

My k9's have an abundance of bass, if yours lack bass it could be....if you are not the original owner of the speakers.
1 woofers wired wrong.
2 caps gone bad in woofers crossover section.
3 someone could have tampered with the crossover and removed the 15 MH coil or removed the R8 resister that completes the circuit.
4 wrong amps driving them, doubtful though.
5 wrong room placement, again doubtful.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom