Vibration isolation approach that works well for me

dsjackso1

Gingko vibration isolation products tested with a Linn Sondek LP12 turntable

System in use:

Turntable: Linn Sondek LP12 (circa early 1980s)

Tonearm: Jelco 750D,
tonearm cable Audio Sensibility Impact SE

Cartridge: Dynavector 17D3

Phono stage: Dynavector P75mkii

Preamp: Musical Concepts Chameleon Elite

Amplification: Musical Design D150 (custom build)

Speakers: Acoustic Zen Adagio

Gingko vibration isolation products:
Gingko semi cloud
Gingko mini clouds
Gingko mini-ARCH

Setup:

My turntable shelf is mounted to the front wall of my listening room. I placed a Gingko cloud product on the turntable shelf with an mdf platform on top of the cloud product and the Linn Sondek LP12 setting on the mdf platform. I alternated between both of my cloud products (semi-cloud or mini clouds). Only after I had a good handle on this setup did I then introduce the Gingko mini-ARCH product (more info on the mini-ARCH product in the Listening section).

Listening:

The Linn Sondek LP12/Jelco 750D arm combination is a very nice sounding turntable system. The Dynavector cartridge/phono stage combo has very good synergy. I could live with this analog front end for a long time (and that’s the plan).

Listening to the system using the setup described above provides for a very enjoyable listening experience every time I sit down to listen. The sound is clear with good imaging (width and depth of soundstage) and transparency, frequency balance is very even across all frequencies.

I listened to this initial setup for at least a month during which I settled in on the semi-cloud as the foundation of choice under the mdf platform with Linn LP12 perched on top. I thoroughly enjoyed the system with this setup.

Enter the Gingko Acoustic Resolution Clarifier enHancer (ARCH) isolators. I used the mini-ARCH product in the ARCH family of products. I placed five of mini-ARCH isolators at various locations between the edge of the turntable plinth and the mdf platform upon which the turntable rests. Everything I had enjoyed up to the insertion of the mini-ARCHs was now elevated. Individual instruments and voices in the music were easier to follow, existed in their own space and had improved tonal characteristics. This translates into better attach and more natural, extended decay (for example the strike of a cymbal and its shimmering tone as it fades off). Bass notes have better tone and are much clearer. It was immediately obvious that any bloat or muddiness in the bass region was removed. Acoustic piano was amazing as you could actually hear the soundboard vibrating and clearly hear the foot pedals being used. The dynamic contrasts created with the piano by the force of the hammers on the strings came through like I had not experienced from recordings previously. Horns were easily discernible as they each occupied their own space in the soundstage and the distinct character of a trumpet, trombone, saxophone etc. came through remarkably. Drums were real fun to listen to. In addition to cymbals previously described the tone of different drums was clearly portrayed and technique used with sticks, brushes etc. was as realistic as I have ever heard.

I could continue to elaborate on sonic attributes, however, what all of this equates to is the listening experience became much more involving and emotional. The enjoyment in the listening experience was quite profound.

I then removed the mini-ARCHs. The sound was still good as originally reported but the added clarity and emotional involvement was gone. There was now some muddiness present and the soundstage was not as open and transparent compared to how it sounded while the mini-ARCHs were in place.

Isolation is a good thing. I've been using a VPI HW-2 for over thirty five years. The center section is a massive sandwich of metal plates and wood core suspended upon four springs. Has always done the job for me!

rack201607.jpg

Expanded foams of various compositions, both open and closed cell, can have remarkable isolating characteristics.

Expanded foams of various compositions, both open and closed cell, can have remarkable isolating characteristics.

While I agree, over time foams I've tried compress and deteriorate. Is there a type/material that doesn't?

I got a box of cork blocks with grooved rubber on top and bottom.
I use 4 of them between pieces of electronic gear in my cabinet because
A) they do provide isolation characteristics and
B) they increase space between gear for better airflow and cooling.

I have no absolute scientific proof for either of these statements.

IMG_7405.jpg

While I agree, over time foams I've tried compress and deteriorate. Is there a type/material that doesn't?
Ethafoam, a polyethylene foam by Dow, I believe, is the one I am most familiar with. It comes in varying densities and thicknesses. One has to select an appropriate density and thickness to prevent long-term compression.

Hijames,
I use those same cork/rubber “anti-vibration” pads as well.

I got a box of cork blocks with grooved rubber on top and bottom.
I use 4 of them between pieces of electronic gear in my cabinet because
A) they do provide isolation characteristics and
B) they increase space between gear for better airflow and cooling.

I have no absolute scientific proof for either of these statements.

View attachment 1279127

Neither one of those statements require scientific proof.
More space= better airflow
Mutiple density layers= better isolation than hard rubber feet

I use those same cork/rubber “anti-vibration” pads as well.
As do I. Mine are made by a former customer, Diversitech that makes isolation pads of all manner for industry.

In the garage, however, I use tennis balls split in half as "feet" for both DAC and power amplifier. Since they live in a closet behind the speakers, it is easy to feel the reduced transmission of low frequency borne vibration with their use.

I recently put a Denon DP-15F in a Magnavox console, because why not, it fits and is worlds better than the Micromatic changer. Isolated it on latex foam it howled like crazy, so I bit the bullet on a set of #1 Vibrapods (no affiliation). They're amazing, I can crank the volume with the bass turned up and the TT is immune.

Since I'm space-challenged, isolation products are important to me. I've some speakers that sit on bookshelves, keep those isolated with sorbothane. Sure, I'd like to be able to totally isolate my speakers, but nobody lives in an ideal world....

Since I'm space-challenged, isolation products are important to me. I've some speakers that sit on bookshelves, keep those isolated with sorbothane. Sure, I'd like to be able to totally isolate my speakers, but nobody lives in an ideal world....

You could use powerful electromagnetic fields to levitate them....wait, you said speakers...on second thought, that's a really bad idea.

Sorbothane is way better than what most do for speakers on bookshelves... nothing at all.

Nice thread, good info that is not talked about often on AK "Isolation".

I've been down this road, have had questions as well. Someone above posted about a rubber pad and what I think is scotch bright... New to me, need to look into that.

For me I use a 12x12 sheet(S) of dynamat (butyl rubber) under my speakers. I also use a thin foam rubber pad over the dynamat. This helps the bottom of the speaker to get a good grip to the rubber.

upload_2018-9-14_13-56-3.png

May be thin, but it works well. I forgot the name of the rubber/foam material I use. I have an extra roll I can snap a pix of today. Just a basic cabinet liner. The dynamat is under the black foam. Probably not the best, but it works well in keeping feedback down to a minimum with the speakers so close to the table.

Again great thread.

Kind Regards,
John

Back
Top Bottom