XRT 22 should we?

stereocuuple

Two Channel Only
Subscriber
Erin & I have a opportunity to buy a set of XRT 22s locally. We would be driving them with a MC2205 / C34v. The Early XRT systems have always been a end game speaker for me but my experience is beyond limited with them. We listen to everything musically with the main emphasis on alt rock & alt country. We are wondering about the bass? Will the 2205 be enough to get us going til we can go monos?

A 2205 would power those speaker easily, if it's within spec. And YES, you'll have good (and articulate) bass with your setup. (Additionally, depending on your room, and its dimensions.)

And any amplifier will drive them, from a flea amplifier to a welder.

Erin & I have a opportunity to buy a set of XRT 22s locally. We would be driving them with a MC2205 / C34v. The Early XRT systems have always been a end game speaker for me but my experience is beyond limited with them. We listen to everything musically with the main emphasis on alt rock & alt country. We are wondering about the bass? Will the 2205 be enough to get us going til we can go monos?
I drive a pair of XRT20s with a C39 and MC2500. Fifty watts is wall shaking bass. The XRT22 willbe cleaner and drier bass due to split crossover that has one woofer covering 20 To 150 Hz and other cover 20Hz to 250 Hz. I have some XR19s with that crossover i like the more defined bass but it may take a Tad more power to pressurize the room. The XRT22 has LD/HP woofers. I love the clean bass from those.

The MC2205 should do fine. If you want more volume you can always pick up another and bridge them.

Don’t pass up the chance. Fabulous speakers the line array.

Last edited:
If you want more volume you can always pick up another and bridge them.

Don’t pass up the chance. Fabulous speakers the line array.

As I remember, the 2205 bridges strangely; you're not able to double at 8 Ohms.

In any case, I'd go for a 7270 (or modern) if more power is needed. (VB, the 2500 is a great choice)

Oh, and you can shut off Powerguard with your amp, but I don't see why anyone would.

That's correct. Need 16 ohm taps in order to provide the advantage of mono mode. Highest taps on the MC2205 are 8 ohm.
I don’t see where the XRT22 has triamp inputs like Roger has in the XR290. If so you could use one channel for woofers and other for mids and highs perhaps with two amps one per left and right speaker.

Last edited:
I don’t see where the XRT22 has triamp inputs like Roger has in the XR290. If so you could use one channel for woofers and other for mids and highs perhaps with two amps one per left and right speaker.

That could be done but it would not provide output available from a 400 watt amplifier (into 8 ohms). There would be very little net output benefit.

Last edited:
Like '62 writes, you'd have to split the crossover; it's possible, but the XRT22 has THE biggest crossover I've ever seen. The board is nearly as big as a computer keyboard, and there are several HUGE inductors on there.

Not that it matters, someone with a schem'o could do it.

@stereocuuple Both Velocityboat and damacman, also w1jim, I believe, talked me in the purchase of some XRT20's, and rather aggressively.

I'm eternally grateful they pushed so hard, because I was scared shitless. Didn't know if I had the talent to restore them, and whether or not I was wasting precious money and losing my beautiful Echowars-restored Sansui 9090db.

I've hardly thought of that receiver, or the trouble getting the McIntosh's up to par caused. Like a woman with childbirth, all was forgiven and forgotten when I heard them for the first time.

Get them!!!!!!!

Had to look them up, never saw a pair! You can certainly see the lineage.

@stereocuuple Both Velocityboat and damacman, also w1jim, I believe, talked me in the purchase of some XRT20's, and rather aggressively.

I'm eternally grateful they pushed so hard, because I was scared shitless. Didn't know if I had the talent to restore them, and whether or not I was wasting precious money and losing my beautiful Echowars-restored Sansui 9090db.

I've hardly thought of that receiver, or the trouble getting the McIntosh's up to par caused. Like a woman with childbirth, all was forgiven and forgotten when I heard them for the first time.

Get them!!!!!!!

XRT22s don’t come up for sale very often, which is why I “settled” for XRT20s.

If they are still available, and aren’t too outrageously priced, you would be doing yourself (and Erin) a big disservice by passing on them.

Thanks everyone for the great comments. Sorry to be tardy in this thread but I severely hurt my back moving a vintage southwestern bell desk into our house. I literally laid in bed screaming last nigh and that was with 2 oxy's. The seller and I are in serious negotiations and working out a home audition. Our room is 14' x 21' so I think we are in the ballpark. Probably going to come down to $$$ as we would be selling our Dunlavy SC IV Here is a pic of the room with the speakers on the 14' wall & we sit about 12' from the baffle

Attachments

• IMG_3727.JPG
    IMG_3727.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 99

Get them!!!!!!!

Agreed! I too received a needed push from the forum to take the plunge and I have not, and will never regret the stretch to purchase my XRT28 speakers. Definitely end game for me. After listening to my 28s, I can just imagine how the great 22s must sound. Good luck with the negotiations and I hope you get some relief to your back misery. I slept in a chair for the last 9 years due to a lifting accident, I feel your pain!.

Agreed! I too received a needed push from the forum to take the plunge and I have not, and will never regret the stretch to purchase my XRT28 speakers. Definitely end game for me. After listening to my 28s, I can just imagine how the great 22s must sound. Good luck with the negotiations and I hope you get some relief to your back misery. I slept in a chair for the last 9 years due to a lifting accident, I feel your pain!.

Both of our families worked for Ma Bell and I mean several members on both sides. The desk was Erin's dads for many years so it is worth it to keep it in the family.

Thanks everyone for the great comments. Sorry to be tardy in this thread but I severely hurt my back moving a vintage southwestern bell desk into our house. I literally laid in bed screaming last nigh and that was with 2 oxy's. The seller and I are in serious negotiations and working out a home audition. Our room is 14' x 21' so I think we are in the ballpark. Probably going to come down to $$$ as we would be selling our Dunlavy SC IV Here is a pic of the room with the speakers on the 14' wall & we sit about 12' from the baffle
I bet those Dunlavys sound sublime!

Those Dunlavys are no slouch that's for sure. What you hoping to gain with the XRT22? What will you lose ?

Just curious - I got no horse in this race...

jblnut

We are simply looking for a change. The XRT 22's I am hoping have more bottom end and they have been a long lusted after system for many years for me.

Back
Top Bottom