Finally rebuilding my Sansui G-8000, I’ll post all my questions here.

saabracer23

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey all, so I came across this mint G-8000 that I’m starting a rebuild on. One channel has zero output and so I’m working on finding those issues. I’m doing a full recap etc. First question: on the power supply board there is a large resistor and the manual calls for a 3.9 ohm 15w resistor. The one in there now definitely does not look factory and measures at 16.2 ohms, made is a 10w and 5w in parallel. Now I know that there can be discrepancies in Sansui manuls. I have a 4 ohm 25w, a 3.9 ohm which I believe is 17w???, and a pair of mills 12w 8 ohm that I can wire in parallel for 4 ohm 24w.

Thoughts? Anyone with a G-8000 that can confirm what value goes there?

A24C7839-1079-4843-B9E9-042DD502BFB4.jpeg
872E7793-63A2-4E25-8CA7-2FBD6BDD6EBA.jpeg

Dan

It is the soft start by-pass resistor, 4Ω is close enough so put your 25 watt 4Ω in there.

It would be a good idea to test the output transistors on the dead channel and also the drivers on the corresponding driver board.

Then measure all the emitter resistors and also all the low value resistors around the driver transistors on the driver board too.
There are a lot of resistors which go hiZ when there is a failure in the output section.

Let us know how you get on...

Also I noticed there is a large 220v sticker on the back, but a 220v/110v switch on the inside. Will this have any change to the materials in the amp and service manual?

A4D585E8-A612-4F03-8D8A-33F4806F639D.jpeg
F194B5A8-EBA4-4A7E-9F1B-D2408AE99206.jpeg

Dan

It is the soft start by-pass resistor, 4Ω is close enough so put your 25 watt 4Ω in there.

It would be a good idea to test the output transistors on the dead channel and also the drivers on the corresponding driver board.

Then measure all the emitter resistors and also all the low value resistors around the driver transistors on the driver board too.
There are a lot of resistors which go hiZ when there is a failure in the output section.

Let us know how you get on...

Thank you so much, I intend to measure all of the outputs and the drivers. When I get to that step I’ll definitely share!

Dan

Alrighty, replaced the soft start by-pass resistor.

162FDA4B-808A-4FB8-85CF-ABF5869D0BF3.jpeg

Also, does anyone know where you can purchase or use for the SS-5R/SS-5 rectifiers? Whenever I do a full restoration I like to replace the bridge rectifiers.

394CC04E-4169-4C4C-93FE-F2DA23C22227.jpeg

Dan

Alrighty, replaced the soft start by-pass resistor.

View attachment 1274915

Also, does anyone know where you can purchase or use for the SS-5R/SS-5 rectifiers? Whenever I do a full restoration I like to replace the bridge rectifiers.

View attachment 1274916

Dan

No need to replace those, I have never ever had any issues with those. They are well rated for the job at hand.
I have never seen one fail and I have worked on literally hundreds of amps that have those rectifiers.

No need to replace those, I have never ever had any issues with those. They are well rated for the job at hand.
I have never seen one fail and I have worked on literally hundreds of amps that have those rectifiers.

Great thanks. I’ve rebuilt several amps that use them as well such as the Kenwood KA-8006 and have never seen one dead. I thought since I run into them so often maybe I should look at finding a replacement. No need, thanks!!!

Dan

Just a FYI for anyone looking, these are a perfect replacement to the G-8000/9000 soft start resistors. I used one recently for a G-9000 that had been to 3 different shops and they all couldn't fix the problem. Just needed the soft start relay replaced due to badly burnt contacts along with the resistor.

20180722_145946.jpg

Just a FYI for anyone looking, these are a perfect replacement to the G-8000/9000 soft start resistors. I used one recently for a G-9000 that had been to 3 different shops and they all couldn't fix the problem. Just needed the soft start relay replaced due to badly burnt contacts along with the resistor.

View attachment 1275209
Always a good standard operating procedure to replace the relay if the soft start resistor is toast.

I might grab a few of those to keep in stock, thanks Matt...

Its amazing what I've found when guys bring me units that have been to "three other places that couldn't fix it"

So I’m rebuilding the mic amp circuit board and there are two .068 uF caps that I’m replacing and the closest I have on hand are some Wima .1 uF caps. Anyone know if they’ll have any ill effect in the circuit by going with that value? C03 and C05.

7C3FB043-E9C7-4809-A4EA-F6010EC49D34.png
6D1AA4A5-7299-4324-8A9E-2100091FEFDF.png

Thank you,
Dan

Mattsd used Panasonic ECQs (polyester) in those spots. According to his cap list, they were originally tantalums.

They are tantalum, I want to get all of the tantalum out.

Dan
Tantalum in this particular application is absolutely fine. They are just in the audio path, and they are a far better dielectric for the job they are doing than any film cap or electro.
If you wanted to, you could just buy new tantalums to fit...

Tantalums are also used in Tuners for their excellent ESR and accuracy, these need to be left as well.

Tantalums in some power supply applications are where its better to get rid of them, as they are prone to failure (and spectacularly) when they spend 100% of their working life under stress as they would be in a power supply.
In power supplies we like reliability.

Tantalum in this particular application is absolutely fine. They are just in the audio path, and they are a far better dielectric for the job they are doing than any film cap or electro.
If you wanted to, you could just buy new tantalums to fit...

Tantalums are also used in Tuners for their excellent ESR and accuracy, these need to be left as well.

Tantalums in some power supply applications are where its better to get rid of them, as they are prone to failure (and spectacularly) when they spend 100% of their working life under stress as they would be in a power supply.
In power supplies we like reliability.

Oh, okay I’ve always read that it’s a good idea to remove all tantalums from the unit. So I’ve always removed them. I’ve read that they should be replaced with film (I use polypropylene) as they have a lower ESR than the electrolytics. I can put the tantalums back in, just feels weird to do something different, though it’s in a part of the amp that will likely never be used.

So tantalums produced in the 70s will have a lower ESR than films currently made?

Dan

So I measured the original tantalum and they show an ESR of 30.9 ohms and the .1 uF films measure an ESR of 5.39 ohms. Should I still put the tantalums back in even though they have a much higher ESR?

Dan

So I measured the original tantalum and they show an ESR of 30.9 ohms and the .1 uF films measure an ESR of 5.39 ohms. Should I still put the tantalums back in even though they have a much higher ESR?

Dan
I remember now with my G9000, I just left those tantalums in that mic preamp circuit, both those ESR readings seem high to me though....
It does seem a waste of some nice Film caps to put them in something you'll never use.
The Tants aren't going to cause an issue there, no danger of them randomly exploding, so I would leave them.
But its up to you of course, we all do things differently..

I remember now with my G9000, I just left those tantalums in that mic preamp circuit, both those ESR readings seem high to me though....
It does seem a waste of some nice Film caps to put them in something you'll never use.
The Tants aren't going to cause an issue there, no danger of them randomly exploding, so I would leave them.
But its up to you of course, we all do things differently..

Yeah I’m not entirely sure how accurate the meter is. My other meter which is very nice quality will only measure down to 1 uF. Even if it’s off it seems the tantalum has a higher resistance. Thanks for your assistance, I’ll likely put them back in.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom