XRT 22 should we?

Thanks everyone for the great comments. Sorry to be tardy in this thread but I severely hurt my back moving a vintage southwestern bell desk into our house. I literally laid in bed screaming last nigh and that was with 2 oxy's. The seller and I are in serious negotiations and working out a home audition. Our room is 14' x 21' so I think we are in the ballpark. Probably going to come down to $$$ as we would be selling our Dunlavy SC IV Here is a pic of the room with the speakers on the 14' wall & we sit about 12' from the baffle

Take a few more pain pills and negotiate the deal. There will be no pain or regrets later.
At 12 feet you may want tweeter arrays outboard. Just try to tour preference.

I looked for XRT22s. Fortunately I had to settle for a little pair of XR290s not having any luck finding 22’s. ;D

Last edited:
Speaking of XRT22s. Here are a pair of bass cabinets missing tweeter arrays signed by Gordon Gow. They are trashed in the cones and surrounds but 760 bucks. Pay shipping and import duty . They must be the match to the tweeter arrays that someone was ebaying a few years back. @damacman a driver recone and invert them on your bass cabinets and make new grilles and you have a damn good XR290 competitor on the cheap. A total of eight 12 inch woofers and four 8 inch mids are worth a go. I bet way better than the XR19 and XRT20 stack I used to run. I got a place in dallas that will recone with original new spiders and cones and original surrounds for around 60 a piece. Or DIY.

http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=b328427675

You could finally strap (dual Mono parallel) those MC2600s at 4 ohms. The lack of the XR19 tweeter sets the mids at perfect wavelength for a line array.

They got your name on it! Next to Gordons. If I had a pair of XRT22s. They would absolutely be coming my way. I would gamble a grand on these. Make Roger proud and save some McIntosh history.

Last edited:
If I remember audio classics had some columns mated to ML4’s. Somebody is selling some NIB CS22 stands on ebay. We could have an XRT22 resurrection. I see the dampening ring on the mid is missing. But the other speaker has one to reverse engineer. Need a resourceful AKer to step up.

@stereocuuple I hope your back improves.

Lifelong back pain sufferer here. Slipped a disc at 19, never been a day without discomfort since. Of late, the pain has ramped up.

Also, you have Dunlavy's??? Shit man, you ain't messing around, lol!!

So we are going to pull the trigger. I am making a offer today and I expect the seller to accept considering their age & lack of the CS 22 stands. The surrounds look good but are most likely going to need replacement to meet specs. Also the market for a speaker system of this magnitude in kansas city is narrow to say the least. Going to offer $2,200.00 and I take the risk. Doubt we will lose our money as at that price if they don't work out in our room we should be able to find a buyer at that price. Wish us luck

Eric & Erin

I heard the Dunlavys at Galen Carol Audio in San Antonio when they were new. All Jeff Rowland electronics. Man oh man ...

Only you can say if the XRT22 is a step up.

I think is ultimately a totally different experience we are looking for. The Dunlavys will likely stay with us unless the XRT 22s simply blow them away. Neither of us expect this to be the case.

This reminds me of Gordon Gow's XRT issues in his smallish LR and what i learned decades later with stacked XR16s.....

Find a MQ107 and someone who knows how to program it to get the most out of these spectacular speakers.

I think is ultimately a totally different experience we are looking for. The Dunlavys will likely stay with us unless the XRT 22s simply blow them away. Neither of us expect this to be the case.
Best of luck. The sound stage will definitely open up over the point source. Those CS22s on the bay are priced extreme. And inch in distance can be a mile with the tweeter arrays. Finding that spot may be harder wall hanging on them. After the arrays my point source speakers lost their appeal. For best bass and flatest response down low keeping base cabinets on the wall is what roger recommends.

XRT speakers from that period have critically damped woofers. Meaning the enclosure design does most of the control work as applied to the woofers and midrange. So you don't need amps with really high damping factors like I prefer with my speakers. As I remember a 2205 puts put about or bit over 260 watts before the Power Guard turns on. That's about 111 db at 4 ft and as you have a line array I doubt the level will drop more than 6 db at your listening position from each speaker. So with both speakers thats about 108 + db at your seating position.. Which about right unless you like front row sound at a rock concert. The speakers were only rated at 250 watts each anyway. You might get buy with a 2500 or a pair of 501's or the new 452 provided you never let the power guard flash more that the blink of an eye. Roger use to test the speakers long term With the Power Guard flashing 50% of the time. And thats more abusive than a 452 only flashing for a few milliseconds a couple of times a night. If a pair of XR-7's could tolerate a 2500 I think a pair of XRT 22 could too. But remember doubling the power only gives 3 db, And you really need 5 to 6 db in increased capability to hear a readily apparent difference.

Sure you should.

Last edited:
If the XRT22 deal doesn't work out, there is a pair of XR19 that just appeared on eBay, item # 123366834922.

Ryan told me these are one of his favorite McIntosh speakers. They don't come up very often. The tweeter array of the XRT19 should make the speakers simpler to orient. Seller claims the large drivers have already been refoamed.

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
The seller accepted our offer and I was thrilled until i asked about the grills for the bass cabs. He does not have them. I politely told him I could not buy them missing the stands, grills & logos. I am kicking myself for not buying anthonys (eucrid)LS360s. Oh well back to the drawing board.

May be the audio god telling us to look at subs to fill in the bottom of the Dunlavys

Unless you have small children, are grilles really that big of a deal? For the price you offered, that's a steal - even without the grilles. I would think any competent wood worker could make a pair reasonably.

Unless you have small children, are grilles really that big of a deal? For the price you offered, that's a steal - even without the grilles. I would think any competent wood worker could make a pair reasonably.

Agreed but considering possible resale the missing stands & grills make cosmetics an issue. The seller is a very nice and well educated man & is the 2nd owner. how the original owner did away with them is beyond me. like the people who lose the remote for a 5k CD player WTF!

Agreed but considering possible resale the missing stands & grills make cosmetics an issue. The seller is a very nice and well educated man & is the 2nd owner. how the original owner did away with them is beyond me. like the people who lose the remote for a 5k CD player WTF!

{Makes mental note to round up some remotes around here}

The CS22 stands were a $600 option. In emailing with Roger Russell, he told me that the tweeter columns were meant to hang on the wall, and that the stands were a compromise for those who couldn't mount them, for whatever reason. I have my XRT20s on stands, but only because I don't have the wall space (there is a large window, and the corners are taken up with furniture that my wife enjoys). I do prefer the looks of them on stands, but would rather get the best performance out of the speakers. Your room looks perfect for setting up the line array speakers as intended.

As damacman says, the speaker grills, for the bass cabinet, would not be hard to replicate. Unlike the grills on the XRT20s, they are flat, and cover only the front panel. Also, the badges come up for sale, on the auction site, fairly frequently. My speakers didn't come with them either, and I had an original pair, within a few months for $39.

Also, don't worry about resale value with the XRT22s. If they are anything like the XRT20s, and from all reports they are (and maybe better), you aren't going to want to sell them anyway!!!

Last edited:
Going to offer $2,200.00 and I take the risk. Doubt we will lose our money as at that price if they don't work out in our room we should be able to find a buyer at that price. Wish us luck
Maybe go back to the seller, and tell him that your original offer was based on the assumption that the grills were included, and offer him $2000. The last list price was $9100/pair, without the stands. Good luck!

Last edited:
My thoughts are you were having buyers remorse about buying them and saw this as a way out. The grilles and stands sound like something that could be remedied very easily if you were a serious buyer.

Back
Top Bottom