XRT 22 should we?

My thoughts are you were having buyers remorse about buying them and saw this as a way out. The grilles and stands sound like something that could be remedied very easily if you were a serious buyer.

WOW! Ok ****er you shamed me into this. It's furniture damnit and we are serious about the condition of our purchases. I do not even know if the surrounds are correct as he has had them 10 years and has no info about the original owners maintenance of the system. I already decided to contact the seller to revisit the deal. The grills are a red flag the somebody damn for sure did not care for them. They were not some option. This was never going to be a plug & play deal and I knew that going in. WTF did Erin or I ever do to cause you to be so disrespectful to us.

Eric

Maybe go back to the seller, and tell him that your original offer was based on the assumption that the grills were included, and offer him $2000. The last list price was $9100/pair, without the stands. Good luck!

Already done. We shall see. I expect the deal to go through. Thanks for the positive advice.

Eric & Erin

Reactions: gmc
Ouch........... I'm sorry you took my post the wrong way but I'm glad to hear you've renegotiated and are going after them:thumbsup:.

I am sorry that i misunderstood and over reacted. We really want the system and from my research it seems restoring them is financially sound. Again I am sorry

Eric

Sourcing the correct surrounds is no big deal. If your cones, spider, or surronds are needing replaced I can set you up down in Dallas. getting matching grills and logos is easy. As is restoring a cabinets with a little oil, shine and buff. Some floks like to show off the drivers. I prefer them covered snd protected too. The CS22 stands onnebay will likely come down in price.

Caddy’s XR19 suggestion. They do really well but the magic is in the linear vertical array for different listening heights and eliminating wall reflections and floor and ceiling. The also make great surround speakers with XRT or XR290s adding live hall spaciousness and wideness in a HT concert . The XR19s are excellent but not an XRT20, 22, or XR290 which have another layer of magic that mske your hairs stand up on your neck. You will know what I describe.

The more I hear about this pair XRT22s, the less I like, quite frankly. Whenever something's wrong it always makes me wonder what else is wrong. I always prefer to pay up to the "right" stuff. It's usually cheaper in the long run. Just my 2 cents. Good luck whichever way it works out.

The more I hear about this pair XRT22s, the less I like, quite frankly. Whenever something's wrong it always makes me wonder what else is wrong. I always prefer to pay up to the "right" stuff. It's usually cheaper in the long run. Just my 2 cents. Good luck whichever way it works out.
The chance to pay up for pristine could take awhile or never happen. These just do not come up often. The tweeters can still be sourced as can driver parts. I would ask if he drove these with McIntosh power guard amps. if not plan on replacing three to five of the fourty-eight tweeters. My XRT20s were driven with a M-60 and clipping takes a toll over years. The good thing after one goes it saves the other four in the sub grouping.

Myself a little restoration is a satisfying part of the hobby. Think of sought after vintage McIntosh as a value priced stock fund. The underperforming stock are chosen for quick turnaround and huge future dividends and appreciation.

Last edited:
The chance to pay up for pristine could take awhile or never happen. These just do not come up often.

That's entirely valid. However being OP already owns a pair of outstanding speakers (by most accounts), he can afford to be choosy. Patience is the key when buying vintage. The choicest gear at the best buy is when you don't NEED to buy. :)

That's entirely valid. However being OP already owns a pair of outstanding speakers (by most accounts), he can afford to be choosy. Patience is the key when buying vintage. The choicest gear at the best buy is when you don't NEED to buy. :)
Please consider your in the Northeast wher their is a more plentiful supply. These are big speakers. I would suspect chances for local pickup in KC for this type equipment is hard to find. Avoiding shipping or long drives and ability to audition is more of a factor than you are accustomed. Different paradigms for central state dwellers.

Last edited:
The chance to pay up for pristine could take awhile or never happen. These just do not come up often. The tweeters can still be sourced as can driver parts. I would ask if he drove these with McIntosh power guard amps. if not plan on replacing three to five of the fourty-eight tweeters. My XRT20s were driven with a M-60 and clipping takes a toll over years. The good thing after one goes it saves the other four in the sub grouping.

Myself a little restoration is a satisfying part of the hobby. Think of sought after vintage McIntosh as a value priced stock fund. The underperforming stock are chosen for quick turnaround and huge future dividends and appreciation.

HEAR, HEAR!!! Right on, man.

th

sorry for the late replies to all. Bad day with my back yesterday. The owner has decided to keep them for the time being and has asked me to recommend a int amp to drive them. I told him IMHO there are no integrateds made in his budget that are up to the job. Perhaps we will get another crack at them but the more I discover the more concerned I am about the condition & circumstances under which they were played.

sorry for the late replies to all. Bad day with my back yesterday. The owner has decided to keep them for the time being and has asked me to recommend a int amp to drive them. I told him IMHO there are no integrateds made in his budget that are up to the job. Perhaps we will get another crack at them but the more I discover the more concerned I am about the condition & circumstances under which they were played.

The are easy to bring back even if some tweeters are blown. My X19s were played on a 4 watt kenwood recriver. Had no tweeter or driver issues rather than needing surrounds. The XRT20s had three rows of 5 in series out. Then it is usually the firts tweeter that is blown and other four or three still work once offender is replaced. A listen with a paper towel tube over each tweeter will tell you which groups 4 or five of the 23 tweeters in the XRT22 are functional. The phillips tweeters are quite capable of some sustained abuse.

XRT 22 is a great speaker in a softer room. You have to sit further back to get the sound to come together with an XRT 22. I much prefer the treble and HF sounds of the 22 over the current generation or should say previous generation of Mac speakers. I haven't heard the 2.1 or 1.1 yet. But the XRT 100 200, 1k and 2k just are too bright. I have to turn the 10 Khz graphic control on Mac preamps to 9:00 to make them approach listenable. No problem with the 22, 19, or 290. We only sold a few pair. Women just didn't like the looks and I tend to agree. But if you can get around that you should have great sound. I don't think the woofers of 22's have the improved surrounds like the 290's so I would inspect them closely and be prepared to buy new Surrounds from Midwest Speaker Co., may be midwestern. They are easy to replace if you take your time and lay the bass bins on the backs while removing and installing the cone drivers. You can contact Roger Russell on his website about Mcintosh and ask him what. he recommends about rebuilding the crossovers. The speakers are getting on in years.

Power? Thats a good question. If a 2205 won't do the job, look for a 602. Adding 3 db by having two 2205's isn't enough to worry about. It really takes a 5 db more increase to really make a noticeable difference. Not all the newer amps can be strapped to gather to get mono. Most people don't listen much above 90 db continuous , that would be about 2 watts at 4 ft and as these are line arrays they project better so I image like other Mac speakers I audition 12 watts is about what you will need for loud passages. That leaves 13 db for peaks. Now if you are a Telarc fan be thank fun you have Power Guard, because some of their dynamics will have your meters pegged. My speakers are more efficient and I normally listen with loud passage a 2 watts, but Telarc recording can demand between 40 and 80 watts easily. Which would translate to about 4 or 500 with your speakers... Whats great about Power Guard is you can live with 4 db of compression and never hear the side effects. making your amp thats capable of 260 watts per channel sound like a 500 watt amp with out noticeable signal compromise. If you don't see the red lights flash for very short periods of time occasionally your ears will never know. Your wife will tell you when its to loud.

Before anyone wonders why I am digging this okd thread up, I believe i i bobout the speakers being discussed.

Grills are missing
Located in KC
Xrt22s

In addition 4 tweeters in one column are out. Guessing if i replace the first the others should work.
Two speakers have torn foam, small tears. Need to find someone to do this.

Now the odd bit. The woofers do not have a surround covering the metal frame/edge of the foam. One cabinet has four predrilled holes around each speaker that do not appear to have been used. The other does not have these holes.

Guessing if i replace the first the others should work.

Do NOT make this assumption. Ask me how I know, lol.

Edit - Just my experience, Velocityboats is far more versed with this series than me.

Use this info to bargain if you really want them. It's a commitment, but the reward is exceptionally large, quality sound.

WELCOME TO AK. I'll say no more, and let the real experts chime in. Happy XRT 20 owner here, and couldn't have done it without many on this thread.

Do NOT make this assumption. Ask me how I know, lol.

Edit - Just my experience, Velocityboats is far more versed with this series than me.

Use this info to bargain if you really want them. It's a commitment, but the reward is exceptionally large, quality sound.

WELCOME TO AK. I'll say no more, and let the real experts chime in. Happy XRT 20 owner here, and couldn't have done it without many on this thread.

Already used that to negotiate them down. I paid 1300 so have room to fix them up.

Well, that seems like a REALLY fair price indeed! Wow. Audio Classics used to stock the tweeters.

Methinks the OP may have purchased a pair of XRT20s.

Audio Classics stocks the tweeters, they are $34.99/ea. last time I checked. Yes the tweeters are in parallel/series, one open tweeter will quiet the other three.

There is no "gasket" on the face of the woofers covering the foam, that is original.

Back
Top Bottom