No WIFI or cell service, music and speaker connection question iPhone

thomas100

All, I'm having a party in a barn that has no wifi or cell service. I have some good quality free standing speakers and also an iPhone 7 (no audio jack).

I'd like to use the iPhone as a music source and also use the speakers I have (four preferably but could just use two) to play a playlist from the iPhone. To note, the speakers are not wireless.

My question, what is the best option to make this happen? I'd like the best sound quality as possible. I'll also need to be charging the phone at the same time so the battery doesn't run out.

Thanks very much.

Are the speakers amplified? Do they have a 3.5MM mini RCA input?

If so, this might be a good application for a Chromecast Audio device.

Used Apple AirPort Express (A1264) on eBay ($15-$20). Flip-down plug for power. It's a combo WiFi transceiver that will seamlessly accept your iPhone's music data stream (and, with security enabled, no one else's!) and an audio output device (via digital optical or analog jack). Choose whichever connection mode your receiver/amp requires. Simple.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge. This is a picture of the back of the speaker. Not sure if they are amplified, maybe you can tell??

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 77
Sorry, one last note, I don't currently have a receiver so that's part of what I'm asking, what receiver would be recommended. Maybe the Sonos Amp?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge. This is a picture of the back of the speaker. Not sure if they are amplified, maybe you can tell??

Not powered, passive. You're going to need a receiver or amplifier to power them (lotsa folks have receivers, so just borrow one, the heavier the better). For 4 speakers, you're going to want one that has both A and B speaker selections (you'll run A+B).

Do you have enough available storage on your iPhone to hold all the music you'll be playing? Music data can be pretty large depending on the resolution chosen for its storage.

Do you have ANY ability to send iPhone music to your (or a friend's) home audio system? If so, get the iPhone to sound part of things nailed down first. Then bolut up the WiFi-able AirPort Express/receiver/speaker combo and get it working. Then, PAR-TAY!

Without WiFi or cell service I only can think of one option. You will need an amplifier or a receiver, you will then need 2 adapter cables - one lightning to female headphone jack, and one male headphone to rca. I don’t think they make a lightning to rca adapter, if they do, then get that. Basically you’re taking the lightning out on your iPhone to rca inputs on the amp/receiver. It’s a makeshift setup, but should work. Hopefully someone has a better idea. Good luck.

Is this a one time and done deal? If not, and even if so, sounds like you need a power amplifier/receiver with bluetooth so your iphone can charge and send music to the amplifier via bluetooth. I'd ask friends that have home stereos if you could borrow the equipment needed. Good luck!

Several issues here.

First, you can but an adapter so you can get sound from your phone into a headphone jack

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Mo...spons&keywords=iphone+headphone+adapter&psc=1

From there on, you can get various adapters to feed any amplifier you choose.

Second, those speakers need an amp.

Another option: There are quite a few cheap amps that accept Bluetooth on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...RKOE5W2Q92P&rh=n:172282,k:bluetooth+amplifier

Likewise, search Amazon for "Bluetooth Receivers" to see what's out there.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. If you share that with us, you might get more helpful advice.

Thanks very much for the replies so far.

It's not a one time deal so I'd be willing to invest in something (receiver) to get good sound quality. I think about $500 would be my limit. That's why I was thinking one of the sonos amps may be a good solution.

Where are you planning to source the music from? How extensive is your music library and in what format is it stored? Where and how is the metadata stored? (album names, artists, track listings, album covers, etc.)

What's your timeframe for the party? It's generally not a great idea to run out and spend big bucks ($500 is significant) on something to fill an emergency need, expecting it will also meet your longer term needs.

If the party is soon, you probably want to temp something in and see how it goes before you decided on (and put buck behind) a "permanent" solution. If the even it out there in time, you can take the opportunity to discover just what features and conveniences are available to you, at what coast, and best way to implement them. I can almost guarantee it'll be time well spent.

My wife's friend is putting a playlist onto her iPhone and we're planning on using that for the music source. I agree 100% about taking the time to research, party isn't until the end of October.

I thought I'd start with this Forum first...you'all certainly seem to know what you're talking about!

My wife's friend is putting a playlist onto her iPhone and we're planning on using that for the music source. I agree 100% about taking the time to research, party isn't until the end of October.

I thought I'd start with this Forum first...you'all certainly seem to know what you're talking about!

Oh, you got PLENTY of time!

What do you mean by "putting a playlist onto her iPhone"? Is this a playlist from an online streaming service? Or is this an iTunes library that has been localized to the phone's storage? Or is the music and its means of access within some third-party app and, if so, which app?

Now, thinking long term for a minute... what/how will you be using/listening after the party? Stereo (2 or 4 speaker) audio only? LPs? Cassettes? Digital files? As part of a HT setup for both music and movies?!? Inquiring minds want to know!?! LOL!!

no wifi or cell service. I have some good quality free standing speakers and also an iPhone 7 (no audio jack).

Sorry, one last note, I don't currently have a receiver so that's part of what I'm asking, what receiver would be recommended. Maybe the Sonos Amp?

If this is the amp (see link below) you're referencing then it will not work for you as it's for streaming. In order to stream you would need a wifi connection which you already mentioned you don't and or won't have.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/connectamp.html

Review what @crn3371 posted earlier

Also as @awillia6 asked will help narrowing down your options.

What do you mean by "putting a playlist onto her iPhone"? Is this a playlist from an online streaming service? Or is this an iTunes library that has been localized to the phone's storage? Or is the music and its means of access within some third-party app and, if so, which app?

Dswankey,

Shoot, that was the amp I was thinking about. I was thinking I could connect the phone with a cord to the amp.

Here's the back story which will also explain the play list. There's a bunch of people getting together and hosting a party in my barn. I told them I'd have the music squared away and I'll be up the creek if I don't deliver (this crew is tough..ha!) I live in a rural are so I don't have internet service or cell service in the barn. Regarding the play list, one of the girls said she'd have one on her iPhone which I'm guessing would be in her "library".

That explains a lot. Here's the skivvy.

A ban is a lot of area to fill. I doubt one of those cutesy one box solutions will do it. You'll need areal amp that can drive reral speakers,

Not knowing exactly what speakers your are running (I can't tell too much from a pic of a couple of terminals), thy may or may not provide decent sound at the levels you expect. A speaker's job is to move air and size is a major factor here. The bigger the speaker, the more air it can move, A barn has a LOT of air to move.

My suggestion? Get a real amp/receiver that can drive real speakers. Then, see if it can make your speakers sing. If it doesn't, then you may be looking at new speakers,

As for getting the music form you Iphone to the amp, that's the least of your worries. that's been brought up already in posts 6, 8 &10 but you don't seem to want to acknowledge them.

Get the sound first. Ball's in your court.

Last edited:
Not knowing exactly what speakers your are running (I can't tell too much from a pic of a couple of terminals), thy may or may not provide decent sound at the levels you expect.

Huh? Showed the make and model. What else do you need? The manual? OK, here you go: http://acoustic-energy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/UM-Aegis-Three.pdf

3-way towers @35 lbs each, drivers are 1" tweet, 5" mid, 7" woofer, 8 ohm nominal, 90db sensitivity, 150W power handling.

Given a decent receiver/amp driving them, I'd think 4 such speakers should do a fine job lighting up a dance floor, even if not every nook and cranny of a barn.

Back
Top Bottom