Macintosh 1500 vs Onkyo A-7

Beeb

I realize I may be talking oranges and apples here, but I’ve got the opportunity to buy a Macintosh 1500 in great condition for $500 and I’m wondering how it compares to my current amp, an Onkyo A-7. I’m new to all this but have been thinking for a while about getting a tube amp and this hybrid seems like a nice transition. Thoughts?

People love the 1400,1500 and 1700 and at that price it's a no brainer. That price is about half of what the supper rare 1500 can sell for. I'd buy it to try and if you thought you didn't like it for what ever reason you could sell it and get all your money back.

If it does sell for more than you have to pay, it's a buy just to try it as stated. McIntosh holds its value and well it seems almost all nice vintage gear is going up in price.

Let us know what you think of these two when you get a chance to compare them.

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to buy it. Though the same person is also selling an HH. Scott 399 Stereomaster that looks very cool. He hasn't named a price on it yet. Any thoughts on it vs the Macintosh? And not to make this super complicated, but he's also selling a Tandberg TR 2045 for around $150. That one I'm not familiar with at all. Thanks again. I'll definitely let everyone know how these compare to the Onkyo A-7. I've been very happy with it so far.

Keep in mind the MAC is going to need a restoration which can run up to $1K if you can't undertake yourself. Still easily worth the total investment if cosmetic condition is good. Last MAC1500 Audio Classics sold for $2,999 but I suspect it was near pristine.

Keep in mind the MAC is going to need a restoration which can run up to $1K if you can't undertake yourself. Still easily worth the total investment if cosmetic condition is good. Last MAC1500 Audio Classics sold for $2,999 but I suspect it was near pristine.
Thanks. I'm including a pic of it (and some other stuff he's trying to sell. All of it looks pretty amazing, at least cosmetically.) In terms of the Mac, I asked him what sort of service it's had, and he said the following: "The Mac's had all pots and switches cleaned and lubricated, all new power tubes, resistors replaced as needed, lamps upgraded to LED's." He also said that he'd throw in a vintage Mac tube at no extra cost. The receiver is currently using new tubes, I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1342-1.JPG
    IMG_1342-1.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1343-1.JPG
    IMG_1343-1.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 50
Just FYI, if you buy it, you'll have to start spelling McIntosh correctly. ;)

Good luck with your purchase!
Good point!! Think I’m also going to buy a pair of DynaCo A-25's to go with it. Of course, the seller is now saying that he wants more than $500. Probably more like $750. Still a steal, I assume. Trying to scrape my pennies together now.

Just FYI, if you buy it, you'll have to start spelling McIntosh correctly. ;)

TR 2045 for $150 is a decent buy. It's the #3 model in that lineup, below the 2060 and flagship 2080 models. Great FM, sonically pleasing, solid amp but not a ton of power. Biggest drawback for most folks is it only has DIN inputs, and not a ton of them. Phono and pair of decks, not hard to come by DIN to RCA adapters but does require that extra accessory or two if you use it with other sources.

John

Buy it all and get a package deal. He will only have to deal with you and gets it gone now. Then keep what you like, collect the rest. OK, maybe sell a piece or two. BT is always looking for more good gear priced right.

Well, it looks like I'm buying the McIntosh for $850. Here are some of the things the seller has said about it in terms of service:

1. "Part of the servicing included setting the bias for the tubes and replacing all the transistors on the preamp board."
2. "It's had all pots and switches cleaned and lubricated, all new power tubes, resistors replaced as needed, lamps upgraded to LED's."
3. "It has new tubes, but I'll include original McIntosh tubes in the deal if you decide later you'd like to install them."

Spending $850 right now isn't easy for me, so if I could get some amens on whether this is a good deal, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! :)

just from my reading the transistor needed to be swapped so it seems the service is what would put the unit back in good shape. I'll let others comment about if that service went far enough and whether the LEDs is an up- or down-grade. That one is personal.

just from my reading the transistor needed to be swapped so it seems the service is what would put the unit back in good shape. I'll let others comment about if that service went far enough and whether the LEDs is an up- or down-grade. That one is personal.
I should add that I'm buying it tomorrow around noon, so if anyone can weigh in before then, I'd definitely appreciate it. Don't want to spend more than I should. I know these go for quite a bit, but each machine is particular, especially after servicing. Thanks again

Well, it looks like I'm buying the McIntosh for $850. Here are some of the things the seller has said about it in terms of service:

1. "Part of the servicing included setting the bias for the tubes and replacing all the transistors on the preamp board."
2. "It's had all pots and switches cleaned and lubricated, all new power tubes, resistors replaced as needed, lamps upgraded to LED's."
3. "It has new tubes, but I'll include original McIntosh tubes in the deal if you decide later you'd like to install them."

Spending $850 right now isn't easy for me, so if I could get some amens on whether this is a good deal, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! :)
Buy it all and get a package deal. He will only have to deal with you and gets it gone now. Then keep what you like, collect the rest. OK, maybe sell a piece or two. BT is always looking for more good gear priced right.
Good point. He also has a couple of Thorens that I'm trying to decide if I can afford (one of them, at least). A TD 160 and a TD 166 MkII. I'm not sure what he's asking on those, so any suggestions on worth would also be welcome. I'm overextending myself and loving it!

The one without the headshell needs a 50-100 buck headshell, but he probably has it.

When you look over the MAC be sure to note any rust, discoloration, issues, beauty marks, anything that isn't pristine NEW as that is what brings the money for that brand's used gear. Folks with money want the good stuff, not some woreslapout pos for cheap. Get the paperwork and any boxes, too. Boxes for the MAC are worth over 50 but probably less than a c-note.

Last edited:
The one without the headshell needs a 50-100 buck headshell, but he probably has it.

When you look over the MAC be sure to note any rust, discoloration, issues, beauty marks, anything that isn't pristine NEW as that is what brings the money for that brands used gear. Folks with money want the good stuff, not some woreslapout pos for cheap.
Thanks. Here's a pic. Aside from the damage to the case on the upper left corner, it looks pretty great. You think he should knock off $50 or more for that bit on the corner?

Attachments

• IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 25
You will see it in person. If it doesn't go WOW look at that, then it won't be a $3000 piece but how much less is up to you.

Take cash for a table, too and get that 50 when you buy the table, too.

You will see it in person. If it doesn't go WOW look at that, then it won't be a $3000 piece but how much less is up to you.

Take cash for a table, too and get that 50 when you buy the table, too.
I actually saw it yesterday while buying records. It's a beaut. I pushed hard for him to sell it to me before posting an ad. I think he's doing me a solid, but the $850 is steep for me right now. If I'm understanding what you're saying, I should ask him to knock off $50 for the ding and another $50 off whatever he asks for the table. Of course, as a newbie, I have no idea what's fair for these two Thorens. Feel like I'm getting in over my head, but I've been craving the warmth of tubes for a while, and the McIntosh is halfway there. BTW, I already have a Dual 505 table with a Grado black stylus, so perhaps the Thorens isn't as necessary as it might seem. But if there's a bulk deal, what do you think I should reasonably ask for? Sorry for all the questions.

And, of course, the ultimate question is whether I'm really taking a step up from my Onkyo A-7? Again, I realize it's probably a matter of apples and oranges and that the McIntosh will simply sound different, not better or worse. Again, sorry to go on and on about this, but now that I've made the deal I think I'm getting cold feet. Not pulling out yet, just trying to rationalize it in my head. I keep saying to myself that I can always resell the McIntosh, and probably at a profit. But that, of course, is uncertain.

Back
Top Bottom