C 47 on the way.

GP Hill

Wednesday I ordered a new C 47 to go with ny MC 452. I’ve been running my 452 with the pre amp part of my Vincent integrated and it sounds really nice. Can’t wait to get the 47. It’s going to be a couple of weeks, I’ll keep you all updated.

You're going to love it. That preamp will blow the Vincent out of the water....not even in the same universe...much less league.

Waiting is the hardest part. You will love the C-47. I hope you have many years enjoying the music with it.

Wednesday I ordered a new C 47 to go with ny MC 452. I’ve been running my 452 with the pre amp part of my Vincent integrated and it sounds really nice. Can’t wait to get the 47. It’s going to be a couple of weeks, I’ll keep you all updated.

Nice choice...love mine.

The only drawback with the 47 and the other newer Mc pres is the input selector/remote...you have to scroll thru all the inputs until you find the one you want. The solution...I just turn off the ones you don't use (ie. phono etc.) and try to group the inputs you want together. It would have been nice to go directly, with a push of a button, to the input you want.

I have a question on my new pre amp hook up. Right now I’m using an rca cable from my integrated to my amp. What are the pros and cons of using balanced cables from my pre to my 452.

balanced cables

When I got a C47 from AC they told me "you are going to need these", meaning the XLR type. They weren't a lot of money and they goofed on the high pricing of the McIntosh cables. The ones they sent me said Hosa but I thought they said they made them in house. They said the amp/preamp combo was designed for balanced cables. Hell, you spent the big money already.
You are gonna love it. Especially with that big 452.

XLR cables (balanced) certainly can’t be any worse than RCAs (single ended). Although your C47 isn’t a fully balanced design, your MC452 is. Try both and see what your ears prefer.

When looking at the McIntosh website, the C47 has 2 variable balanced outputs. Does this make it a balanced pre amp? I really don’t know the difference between balanced and unbalanced.

I'm not certain if it makes a difference over short runs or not, but I use balanced cables when I can.

When looking at the McIntosh website, the C47 has 2 variable balanced outputs. Does this make it a balanced pre amp? I really don’t know the difference between balanced and unbalanced.
No - only the dual chass Mc preamps are fully balanced.

A lot of confusion arrives from these marketing terms, and such, Quad balanced, fully balanced etc etc....

The outputs are balanced from the XLR outputs, it seems like there is a misconception or misinterpretation in this subject, they will run a balanced buffer on the output stage.
The quad balanced pre's and the "fully balanced" pre's, will run dual balanced output buffers, and interstage buffers.

If you have a C47 and a MC452, use the XLR balanced outputs and inputs, it will offer the best common mode noise rejection all day long over an unbalanced connection.

Its all about noise rejection, and thats where understanding common mode rejection comes into it.

Thanks Kev. Got a notice from ups that my pre amp will be here tomorrow. Hopefully my xlr cables will be here tomorrow too.

D1100 claims to be quad balanced. It is single chassis.
Indeed. Same goes for the D100 and D150. However, those are all Digital Preamps versus traditional full-featured preamps - of which I often overlook!

@kevzep makes some really good points about the balanced vs. non-balanced connection schemes and how they relate to common mode noise reduction. This can also be done with RCA cables between units when the preamp (or amplifier) utilizes a differential input section. Either way, noise that is common to both conductors is eliminated - like a 60Hz hum induced into a cable too close to the AC power cord of a high current appliance. So, I'm going to have to agree with kev in that the XLR inputs would be the way to go for the highest noise immunity. After all, his day job is in the pro audio world and XLRs and TRS connectors are the standard. He must have hundreds of such connections to deal with at a big show . . . and it just takes one to add noise to the entire PA.

The SQ stuff is an entirely different discussion. When using a preamp like the C47, which isn't a fully balanced design, only you can decide which you prefer the sound of - the RCA or XLR inputs. I've heard some prefer one while others prefer the other. As long as noise is no concern (and it shouldn't be with short cables), the end result will be to your liking. When using fully balanced components - sources, preamps, and amplifiers - the question begs, Is there better sound quality to be had as each unit in the signal path has mirror imaged sections to handle the positive and negative halves of the signal separately. Obviously, such designs are more expensive as component count doubles in preamp and amplification stages. Some say that adds unnecessary complexity to the signal path while others say that adds performance. Again, only your ears can decide.

The SQ stuff is an entirely different discussion. When using a preamp like the C47, which isn't a fully balanced design, only you can decide which you prefer the sound of - the RCA or XLR inputs.
Over a short distance, I'd challenge anyone to be able to tell the difference, say, from a C47 to a MC452.....I feel better using the XLR in/out as the unit has it, and best noise rejection, and a more robust connection...

Back
Top Bottom