Some. Crazy boomboxes pics

merdy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
i used to have a few clothing stores worldwide and a special vintage store in Kyoto,Japan in the late eighties to mid nineties,beside selling vintage Levi's,Hawaiian shirt and workwear,I sold a lot of vintage audio especially boomboxes ,the cool stuff,I kept a list on one of the computers and I found them last week so I compiled them to post here.i would love to find the marantz one.
mrx20-1.jpg panasonic-rx-f333.jpg rcm90-1.jpg rcm90-2.jpg bo-beosystem10.jpg c100f-1.jpg dynasty-discolite.jpg jvc-pc-dc33.jpg marantz-pms6000.jpg sharp-mr-990.jpg

I have the classic Lasonic TRC-931 that I picked up for next to nothing locally. Replaced the belts and cleaned/lubed the unit. I thought about selling it to buy a Thorens TT, but my wife told me to hang on to it.

Ghettoblasta.jpg

Last edited:
index.php

That is just crazy!!! And it is even DTV.

OK, I'll ask what everyone is thinking..... And how many of them are still working today?

Had one of those fabulous Hitachis for a long time, very nice sounding thing. Incredible bass. I think it got thrown in the trash when I was moving once....stupid. Probably be worth a few hundred bucks today.

One of my first "stereos" was a Garrard, basically a boombox but you could detach the speakers and spread them out across the room. Thought that was pretty good. Then I got some Realistic Nova 7s and hooked up to it. Thought they had absolutely thunderous bass....in hindsight I'm sure it was just distortion and the surrounds were gone.

Last edited:
Here’s my Sharp CD-S77 that does kitchen duty for me.

It uses active servo technology originally developed by Yamaha, it’s some sort of impedance feedback circuit that detects distortion and compensates accordingly.

It does sound pretty good for a boom box.

4C8725B2-C313-4E2A-BB8A-F435B56811D2.jpeg

Boomboxes have been replaced. Those who are so inclined and rude now have Bluetooth speakers. They are just as offensive to others as a boom box.

Pretty sure I posted this in another thread, but what the heck. Boomboxes are fun!
Wanted one of these pretty bad as a teen. Got this one a few months ago. Goodwill.

(web-sourced pic)
125653712.hjNGVuCT.DSC_0103.JPG

I used to have that exact model. I don't remember what I did with it. I must have left it somewhere one of the times I moved. That "ambience" feature was pretty neat.

Had one of those fabulous Hitachis for a long time, very nice sounding thing. Incredible bass. I think it got thrown in the trash when I was moving once....stupid. Probably be worth a few hundred bucks today.

One of my first "stereos" was a Garrard, basically a boombox but you could detach the speakers and spread them out across the room. Thought that was pretty good. Then I got some Realistic Nova 7s and hooked up to it. Thought they had absolutely thunderous bass....in hindsight I'm sure it was just distortion and the surrounds were gone.
I would bet against the surrounds being bad on Nova 7's;)

The Sharp I posted earlier actually sounds really good, I even toyed with the idea of converting the headphone out to a sub out, and using it in my garage.

i used to have a few clothing stores worldwide and a special vintage store in Kyoto,Japan in the late eighties to mid nineties,beside selling vintage Levi's,Hawaiian shirt and workwear,I sold a lot of vintage audio especially boomboxes ,the cool stuff,I kept a list on one of the computers and I found them last week so I compiled them to post here.i would love to find the marantz one.
View attachment 1279044 View attachment 1279045 View attachment 1279046 View attachment 1279047 View attachment 1279048 View attachment 1279049 View attachment 1279050 View attachment 1279051 View attachment 1279052 View attachment 1279053
Marantz Japan made a boom box? I would love to see one myself. I remember reading about the Marantz prototype RTR that was found and restored. It was very nice looking.

I've owned a number of boomboxes over the years. First one was a Sony CFS-1200, which I bought brand new from Toys'R'Us back in the day. Got a Pioneer ghettoblaster which is currently in pieces; hoping to put it back together someday. Here's a picture of a Sanyo M9935K which I picked up for a pretty good price earlier this year:
sanyoboombox.jpg

Back
Top Bottom