Today's JAZZ playlist

Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer -

IMG_20180913_2306578.jpg

A Dream for Eric's good Night

00:00 - 01. "Chitlins con Carne" (Kenny Burrell) 05:29 - 02. "Mule" (Burrell, Major Holley, Jr.) 12:27 - 03. "Soul Lament" (Kenny Burrell) 15:10 - 04. "Midnight Blue" (Kenny Burrell) 19:10 - 05. "Wavy Gravy" (Kenny Burrell) 24:58 - 06. "Gee, Baby, Ain't I Good to You" (Andy Razaf, Don Redman) 29:23 - 07. "Saturday Night Blues" (Kenny Burrell) 35:40 - 08. "Kenny's Sound" (Kenny Burrell) 40:24 - 09. "K Twist" (Kenny Burrell)

Kenny Burrell – guitar Stanley Turrentine – tenor saxophone Major Holley – bass Bill English – drums Ray Barretto – conga

Ah! Even more-better!

Thanks again. Maybe I can get my act together and record some of these shows. He was a great host and very knowledgeable. Deep record collection too.

GJ

His 78 collection was unreal, and his knowledge of that period of Jazz was impressive. I forgot what I read about the exact size of his collection, but the sheer size of it staggered my mind. @Old Guy8 and I were discussing it once and talked about having to put it in the basement due to the weight of that many 78 albums. But the number he had would not fit in my basement. I missed Jeff's show the first time around when he was still with us. Now that he's passed, I'm glad @CJRT brought his show back. Where you live you can probably get his show off of FM. I remember listening to CJRT once from Toronto driving to Erie, PA. I lost the signal for good when I got to about the point where the NY State Thruway ends at the PA Border.

Last edited:
Hi 78 collection was unreal, and his knowledge of that period of Jazz was impressive. I forgot what I read about the exact size of his collection, but the sheer size of it staggered my mind. @Old Guy8 and I were discussing it once and talked about having to put it in the basement due to the weight of that many 78 albums. But the number he had would not fit in my basement. I missed Jeff's show the first time around when he was still with us. Now that he's passed, I'm glad @CJRT brought his show back. Where you live you can probably get his show off of FM. I remember listening to CJRT once from Toronto driving to Erie, PA. I lost the signal for good when I got to about the point where the NY State Thruway ends at the PA Border.

Hey Billy,

Yeah, I'm a pretty frequent CJRT listener, but not constant/consistent, and Jeff's show has been on-again/off-again a lot over the last few years. I always seem to "miss the memo" when they schedule for rebroadcast.

It would be nice if they were made available as a regularly streamable or downloadable podcast.

GJ

Hey Billy,

Yeah, I'm a pretty frequent CJRT listener, but not constant/consistent, and Jeff's show has been on-again/off-again a lot over the last few years. I always seem to "miss the memo" when they schedule for rebroadcast.

It would be nice if they were made available as a regularly streamable or downloadable podcast.

GJ

CJRT has archives of their shows but they do not share them online, as you know. I digitally record Glen Woodcock's BIG BAND show as Glen is a friend of mine and I want to build a file of his shows for future listening when he's retired. That day is not that far off. I should start recording Jeff Healey's show as well. I mentioned to Glen how some stations put their shows up at mixcloud.com or similar. There may be a company policy not to do so or something in their Canadian license structure that forbids this kind of internet distribution.

Another fast approaching retiree of the Jazz airwaves is Ted Grossman and his show "Night Train" Sunday nights from 8 - Midnight @WLRN Miami. Ted is similar to Jeff Healey as he has a VAST collection of 78, 33 and 45 records from the 30s and 40s. His knowledge of those two decades of Jazz is the best I have ever heard on the air. Ted has to be in his mid to late 70s now, so we are approaching the time when he will park the train permanently.

Last edited:
As I said I haven't strobed it for comparison yet, but I did use both my wife's Iphone 8 and my Blackberry and they both read the same.

Eric

I bet it's pretty darn accurate. Technology marches on. I don't worry about a tad off either side. And there is not much I can do with my Pioneer belt drive. You get what you get. Luckily it's almost spot on. My Yamaha direct drive has adjustment and I tweak it every few years.

Speaking of technology marching on, I'm glad to see I'm not the only BlackBerry user left. I have a Blackberry Passport running the last version of Blackberry 10 OS that will ever be produced. I love that operating system and the phone, but alas, the days are numbered. I doubt I'll go BB KeyOne (or whatever is available at the time) when I retire my BB10. I'll probably just go standard Droid and my iPhone. I'm addicted to Apple Music and like the way it integrates with iOS with Airplay, so I will always have an iPhone on my PERSONAL line. Business line has been Blackberry since about 2007. I'll miss it but technology marches on.

Last edited:
I bet it's pretty darn accurate. Technology marches on. I don't worry about a tad off either side. And there is not much I can do with my Pioneer belt drive. You get what you get. Luckily it's almost spot on. My Yamaha direct drive has adjustment and I tweak it every few years.

Speaking of technology marching on, I'm glad to see I'm not the only BlackBerry user left. I have a Blackberry Passport running the last version of Blackberry 10 OS that will ever be produced. I love that operating system and the phone, but alas, the days are numbered. I doubt I'll go BB KeyOne (or whatever is available at the time) when I retire my BB10. I'll probably just go standard Droid and my iPhone. I'm addicted to Apple Music and like the way it integrates with iOS with Airplay, so I will always have an iPhone on my PERSONAL line. Business line has been Blackberry since about 2007. I'll miss it but technology marches on.

BB droid is awesome man, and the best physical AND virtual keyboards in the business. Seriously.

Very clean Droid implementation, almost like the Pixels. Love it.

Eric (Back to Jazz on his day off, Sorry folks for the OT tech segway)

Back
Top Bottom