Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

Awesome!!
I use it every day .. run tuner through it XM radio TV PC whatever
Next best thing to a NOS DAC
There’s a great article on a NOS dac in the current stereophile.
I have to agree with Art Dudley, there’s no need for upsampling in a NOS DAC... save the money

I am the same. I use the d2 every day from TV and computer. Extremely good reproduction with the upgraded duel op amps. I have the Jantzen caps at home and have not soldered them in as yet. Can anyone advise on the method of pulling the main board out so i can unsolder the existing caps and solder the Jantzens into place? Is it difficult to pull the board out? I have not had a good look at it yet. thanks Russ

Last edited:
I use mine all the time and recently bought some more tubes. After 2 years of heavy use, the tube had lost some of it's mojo.

I'm always on the lookout to try/buy something new but this DAC never disappoints with the discrete opamps and NOS tube.

I have the tesla nos tube and the D getter tesla as well at home but have not tried them yet. My preamp and main amp have tubes so it will be interesting to see if a tube change in the dac will change the sound. Bloody tubes everywhere. The sparkos opamps made a big difference

My XIANG SHENG DAC has been reliable for years. Great sounding too. The swapped op-amps and tubes definitely made a difference. I tied a couple to tubes, but the standard recommendation of the JAN GE5670W works very well. Open and extended. Not too much tube goodness. Still, I'm curious as to how other tubes work out? Not that I feel the need to change.

I'd like to get another one of these DAC's. They're killer for the price. I keep mine at work, for headphone listening. It's never been used at home! That's why I'm thinking about another one. But, I have to admit, the Monoprice Monolith DAC is looking very interesting as well. Tubes and ESS Sabre DAC chips. That's a nice combination. Just wish the price was closer to the Maverick.

Monolith DAC

I don't think I can take much more of this.
Robert Cray, Forecast Calls For Pain.
I've listened to this cut at least 1000 times, and that includes seeing Mr.Cray live in a pretty small venue in Saint Louis, on the floor, left of center stage, about 20 feet back.
I swear, Young Bob is standing in my freakin' living room right meow!
Multiple eargasms. Exhausting.

Cannot agree more with you ! especially, when i upgraded the 1.8 uF WIMA output caps to 1uF, YES 1uF, last night .. soundstage, highs, texture, decay of notes, detail, microdetail - to all new level, especially when compared to my trusted for long time iFi DAC.

And a quick edit : There is no need to absolutely match the 2.2uF, or the 1.5uF of the output coupling provided your amp is >10K input impedance. I've upgraded with a small 1uF Auricap, and presently have an integrated with 22K input imp. And I cannot get enough of the D2 right now and using its SS output - as already shared above. If your speakers start at 60Hz or so, of if you consider your setup too bass heavy, you may be able to do even with 0,47 uF

I am very interested to hear if the 0.1uF across pins 4 and 8 in the op amps is a good thing for the OPA627s, or only for the Bursons / Sparcos ..

Over

Another edit and shame on me : The large output caps are for the valve out .. They are directly on the RCAs. The small ones, i suspect (too lazy to take out the PCB again and measure this) - are dedicated to the SS out. I've switched to listening exclusively to the GE valve out

Last edited:
Wow!
Cool!
I picked up a mint early model Rega Planet, and it has the same smooth sound as the Maverick.
I also use it as a transport through my Metrum Acoustics NOS DAC.
Can’t say which I like best..the Metrum it’s probably the most refined sound but they all sound good!! it’s fun to have some variety!
Thanks music listening much more enjoyable
Instead of a chore that seem to be listening to CDs/ digital.

I picked up a mint early model Rega Planet, and it has the same smooth sound as the Maverick.

I replaced my Maverick with a Rega DAC. The Maverick developed a noisy channel. Quite happy with sound of Rega DAC and its 5 changeable filters.

I replaced my Maverick with a Rega DAC. The Maverick developed a noisy channel. Quite happy with sound of Rega DAC and its 5 changeable filters.
Interesting. Did you try a tube swap? The Maverick do run warm. Especially with a vintage Tesla tube. Haven't had a single problem yet thankfully!
Wonder how the new Rega Dac compares with the Planet. Seems like they would sound quite different. While the Planet doesn't really sound "analog", its the closet I have heard from a digital source. IMHO nothing analog tops a reel tape deck. Even a entry level Akai sounds better then most turntable setups I have run across in terms to rhythm and drive, and that "big" analog sound, if that makes sense.
Bottom line for me, is the Planet, Maverick, or a good NOS Dac, really frees you from the digital blues. IMHO, music listening and real listening enjoyment, (especially over and extended period of time) isn't about the highest possible resolution obtainable. It's about the presentation.

It's about the presentation.

I'd agree.

Yes, swapped tubes on my Maverick as well as op-amps. Wasn't able to get a Tesla, but did use a 5 star WE.

I gradually became convinced that, for me, a "ladder" DAC was the most ear-pleasing in my set-up. While the Rega isn't this, it is a "non-upsampling" DAC with a choice of 5 different filters. I usually stick to the #4 option (linear phase "apodizing"). However, I only use my DAC with redbook CDs.

I've a yen to hear the new HoloAudio Spring ladder DAC, but not sure I could pull that kind of price right now.

Sure.
I picked up a Metrum Octave awhile back, and really enjoy it. It's more refined then the DAC Box S Fl, but each has it's place. I could live with any of them. The original Planet sounds smooth like the Metrum Octave, but slightly leaner in the bass, and a bit more laid back. Both are well balanced. The DAC Box S Fl has a richer bass and midrange. All are extremely easy to listen to over long periods. I like with all, your focus is the music, not the equipment.

Hi, I have added the output capacitors like you recommend, they perform superb, BUT, the tube got blow out, I mess up two tubes, the tube looks too hot for me, I am currently using the solid state output and sounds amazing......

EDIT: OpAmps need to be installed in the right orientation. Use my photos below for orientation. If you have questions about the correct way to install them ask first!

Also, I play my digital files through Foobar2000 on my laptop feeding the DAC. I have many 24 bit files but I play even 16bit files with 24/96K set in my windows settings. Sometimes I drop the settings to 24/48 for certain files based on what sounds best.

Good Evening A/Kers,

I am so thrilled with the quality of my D2 DAC that I thought I would share it. I purchased this DAC in October directly from Maverick Audio. I purchased the unit with the upgraded OPA627 OpAmps and the
GE5670W tube upgrade for $289. The unit can be purchased on Maverick Audio's website here: http://www.mav-audio.com/store/index.php/dac/tube-magic-dac-d2-5670-627.html

After using the DAC for a couple of months and finding it to be a big improvement over the HRT Music Streamer II+ I decided it was worth putting some money into. What I decided to do was:

1. Buy Tubes

WE2C51 (D-Getter), Tesla 6CC42 (D-Getter), Sylvanias, GEs and a Bendix 6385 from 1964 that has yet to arrive. The WE2C51 was a massive upgrade over the GE tube that came with the unit. I also find the Tesla to be a big improvement in my system over the WE2C51. I am really looking forward to comparing the Tesla to the Bendix tube when it arrives.

I can say without a doubt that tube rolling really makes a difference in this DAC. I haven't found a single situation where I preferred the standard outputs over the tube outputs. This is true with the DAC hooked up to the Fisher KX-200 tube amp or the 1970s solid state monster Kenwood KA-907.

Even though tube rolling provides big gains in this device, it pales in comparison to the #2 upgrade which is...

2. Upgrade OpAmps to DISCRETE OpAmps

I read alot of great information and reviews on Audiokarma and elsewhere about the Sparkos Lab OpAmps and knew that I definitely wanted to try them. Here is a link to Sparkos Labs OpAmps page: http://sparkoslabs.com/product/discrete-op-amp-ss3602/ This links to the dual discrete OpAmps that are needed for the D2. You actually need 3 of them. As you can see they are pretty pricey, however Sparkos Labs does offer these on ebay and you can make an offer and he may give you a break for buying 3.

All I can say is WOW! These really open up the device, the soundstage is trully impressive with these installed. The DAC really sounds hugely improved over the OPA627s that came with the unit. I can't believe this DAC at this point with the upgraded opamps started as a $250 unit!

If you only do one upgrade to this device I truly recommend doing this!

3. Upgrade Output Capacitors

I wanted to see if I could push the sound even further by replacing the 2.2ohm output WIMA capacitors with boutiques. I replaced them with 2.2ohm 800V Jantzen Z-superior audio caps from parts express. They can be found here: http://www.parts-express.com/jantzen-audio-22uf-800v-z-superior-capacitor--027-482

These are really large and required me to move two small caps to the underside of the PCB in order to accommodate these caps. I believe they help tighten up the sound over the WIMAs however I also admit that it may be placebo. I had them around as extras from another job so I figured I would use them.

When it comes down to it, I couldn't be happier with this DAC. I use the USB input exclusively from a Laptop and Foobar. I have it outputting to both a Kenwood KA-907 and a Fisher KX-200. I really prefer the tube out, but the regular output is definitely in the same ballpark. Those Sparkos Labs OpAmps are really something.

The sound from the DAC rivals my TT setups! I have many albums in 24/96k quality and the vinyl as well. I even have a number of 24/96k rips of the same vinyl I own. I can say that there are some albums I prefer the digital files through this DAC over the vinyl. I thought that the setup was just shy of my vinyl with the WE2C51 tube, but when switched to the Tesla 6CC42 it is equal to in many cases.

Here are some nude shots of the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC with the Tesla tube, Sparkos Labs OpAmps and Jantzen caps installed.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Best,

Brad

Hi, I have do the upgrade to the output capacitors, but I got two tubes blowed, they miss the tubes right away, I am currently using the SS output witch still working normally, but they sound really cool......

I am the same. I use the d2 every day from TV and computer. Extremely good reproduction with the upgraded duel op amps. I have the Jantzen caps at home and have not soldered them in as yet. Can anyone advise on the method of pulling the main board out so i can unsolder the existing caps and solder the Jantzens into place? Is it difficult to pull the board out? I have not had a good look at it yet. thanks Russ

We put a D2 an into informal comparison test.

It held its own against my upgraded MusicHall 25.3, and a Grant Fidelity (11).

I'm intrigued enough: I'd like to hear one through my Sansui / ADS system.

(hint to GuyOrns)

kurtgo dac shootout.JPG
Kurtgo had the ClassDaudio amp in the mix at the time.

Last edited:
We put a D2 an into informal comparison test.

It held its own against my upgraded MusicHall 25.3, and a Grant Fidelity (11).

I'm intrigued enough: I'd like to hear one through my Sansui / ADS system.

(hint to GuyOrns)

View attachment 1303262
Kurtgo had the ClassDaudio amp in the mix at the time.

I'm assuming the D2 was stock? A stock D2 was enough to hook me but the discrete opamps and finding a tube that suited my taste is was really took the D2 to another level for me. I even bought a second one as a back-up.

I've considered buying another DAC just for the sake of trying another DAC.....but why? This D2's sound quality is great.

The D2 had a tube upgrade, and maybe the op amps.

The owner referenced the upgrades we talk about here on AK.

I don't recall clearly what had actually been done.

We didn't arrive at a consensus, or rank order of the three black DACs (music hall, Maverick, and GF).

We did agree that the fourth DAC, a recent TEAC offering was not in the same league as these three. I don't remember the model number of the TEAC for sure. (UD-501 maybe).

I wanted to see if I could push the sound even further by replacing the 2.2ohm output WIMA capacitors with boutiques. I replaced them with 2.2ohm 800V Jantzen Z-superior audio caps

I've only read the OP and the first page. Has anybody subsequently queried the use of ohms in reference to capacitor values...? As opposed to the farad (or, in this case, microfarads).

Resistance is a secondary specification of a capacitor, but it appears that the OP was referring to 2.2uF caps.

Last edited:
I have to say for myself, my Maverick D1 is still my go to DAC, preamp/buffer for overall listening. I use it in a variety of ways, and sometimes just as a additional preamp/buffer. I have a few r2r dac's-a Metrum Acoustics Octave the best of them. The Metrum really get's everything right, with no harshness what so ever, and has more space and air then most r2r's. But there is something about the combination the D1 provides, that really makes it so enjoyable and easy to listen to, I could really be happy with it as my only dac.
Like the Metrum, it sounds best thoroughly warmed up.

I ended up putting a Sparko Op Amp in the line out position-I don't use the headphone output-so I left the upgrade BB there. I found a 50's NOS Tesla tube to work well for my system. I just acquired a used Xaing Sheng DAC-01A, similar to the D1 for my second system. It has only one upgrade socket for the line outs-for now I will put the D1 opamp in there, eventually another Sparko. I will put a Tesla in there as well.
The ability to use it as a pre-amp, and a high quality buffer sold me on this design. I run a Jolida Foz between my amp and preamp-but still use the buffer stage of the D1 at times-good to have both.
Sure it's not a dedicated tube preamp-but you get the best of both worlds by using this very high quality buffers-as they are more like versatile preamps then buffers- (or what I think of buffers- the Yakin/ GF that weren’t very good. IMHO if you can’t run it between your amp/ preamp.. without negative effects.. it’s probably not the best). Your improving your system-not changing everything...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom