I Regressed And Bought A New Watch

I have no idea how pawn shops can authenticate on the spot. For the newb, replicas are near impossible to spot and those rated "super replica" in a popular "homage" forum would take an expert to know. Anyways, I am still trying to authenticate my latest buy. I have not found anything in my watch that says fake. Some days I think mine is good but other days I have my doubts. I will eventually have a look at the movement but even those are being decorated to look genuine. Interestingly, the "homage" forums know more about year to year production changes than legit sites.

I've never seen one of the "super replica's" so I can't speak to them but for the rest, a jeweler's loupe is great for inspections. Like I said, if there are any flaws on that "Rolex", it ain't' real. QC is just that strict.

When I first got that gig, I said "great, I'll treat myself to a good watch." I bought a Citizen chrono which I had no idea how to operate. I called Citizen and said I wanted to order a manual. They took my name & addy, I said how much $, they said no charge. Been a fan of Citizens ever since.

Last edited:
I've never seen one of the "super replica's" so I can't speak to them but for the rest, a jeweler's loupe is great for inspections. Like I said, if there are any flaws on that "Rolex", it ain't' real. QC is just that strict.

When I first got that gig, I said "great, I'll treat myself to a good watch." I bought a Citizen chrono which I had no idea how to operate. I called Citizen and said I wanted to order a manual. They took my name & addy, I said how much $, they said no charge. Been a fan of Citizens ever since.

The Japanese are vastly under-rated. I wouldn't mind a Seiko 007 or a Monster.

It's my birthday so I bought another ebay watch! It's a 47mm monster.

cz0d817.jpg

My latest buy. Talk about wrist presence. This is a 60mm MM make of titanium so not heavy at all. The watch on the right is 44mm which is large in its own right but dwarfed. For perspective, Rolex Submariner is 40mm.

9jsAhSk.jpg

Damn. I think my largest is 46mm and that seems way too big for my wrist.

I can't imagine 60mm!

Welp, I think I've reached the zenith of my watch nadir, or is it the other way around? :rolleyes: In this post, I mentioned wishing that the Wally World I'd visited had had an example of the 'metal' version of the AE-1200WHD, even if it's just plastichrome. Well, today I was visiting a WW more local to my house, and what should I spot in their watch case but a lone example of the 'metal 'AE-1200WHD-1A! :banana: After waiting for what seemed like an eternity for a WW employee to wander near enough to the jewelry department to notice me (unlike the other WW, their Casio watches are in a locked display case, for some reason), I ponied up the $28.95 asking price (plus tax), and it was mine! :D

As mentioned here, it's not exactly the same as the Seiko model James Bond wore in Octopussy, but it definitely has a similar look and feel to it, and I love how it looks on my wrist. Sizing it to fit wasn't as easy as with the resin band, but I was able to manage it, and I'm pretty sure it'll last a lot longer than the band on my resin AE-1200WH will. I generally get a year or two out of them before they crack and break at one of the lug holes, and with these Wally World specials, a replacement band costs almost as much as the watch does... :no:
-Adam

Damn. I think my largest is 46mm and that seems way too big for my wrist.

I can't imagine 60mm!

44mm took some getting used to but it is natural now. 47mm would be pushing it for me. 60mm is cool in a Flava Flav way. It was one of those have to have things.

public-enemy-flavor-flav-playing-bass-drums-musician.jpg

At one point a year ago I was lusting after Fleiger style watches with the oversized onion crown. I still might pull the trigger some day they're so cool looking.

Rained out today so I'm home chilling and rereading this thread and I thought I would ask if anyone has a good economical suggestion for the highlighted above?

Rained out today so I'm home chilling and rereading this thread and I thought I would ask if anyone has a good economical suggestion for the highlighted above?

Economical? Search you know where for Parnis 44mm. You will find pilot style watches. Parnis is Chinese so will have Seagull movement and will be inexpensive. Shipping from China takes weeks. U.S. sellers are faster and watch may be used but you will not have to hassle with international shipping.

I just got my first Chinese watch in today. Ordered on the 8th and received on the 25th so not bad at all. It weighs the same as the real McCoy and it feels the same on the wrist. I'm testing the Seagull movement for accuracy and reserve time. I like Seagull automatics better than the winders.

Edit add: The MM is a decoy for when I am out and about. Don't care if it gets jacked.

Edit add 2: I wore the MM all day and it appears to be keeping time well. So far so good.

Edit add 3: It's been three days and the Sea Gull ST25 movement is still spot on. Very impressed.

FYCE5iF.jpg

Last edited:
You can also check out www.longislandwatch.com, click on 'Watches by Type' and select 'Pilots Watches'.

Prices are all over the place, but there are a number for under $200. Aeromatic have both quartz and automatic watches that might interest you.

Be sure to note that many have a domed crystal and you may or may not like that.

I've been on a "why not" binge lately. My latest is here. It's a 47mm. From the Main Land, very affordable and very well made.

ISpAfGd.jpg

Since I dropped my citizen eco drive in the mighty Mississippi getting on a train. (Long sad angry story) I was looking for something durable and cheapish. So far I’m very pleased with it. I’ve had it about a month so far. It’s kept pretty accurate time which is a must in my profession.
F38C0E22-798F-4939-8839-E39DEC9ACC1E.jpeg

It is my birthday this month and while I bought a few watches this year I decided to go back to one of my favorite brands; Bulova. I used to collect the original tuning fork Accutrons but I sold my last one some years ago. In 2014 when they introduced the Accutron lls I really wanted one but they were selling at full price and it was too much, especially it being at the tail end of my watch obsession. Fast forward to this month and the Accutron ll line is changing names so the lls are being sold a lot cheaper. I cant stand oversize watches and some of the A-lls were pretty big. But last week I found the one below. At 41mm it hits the sweet spot for a dress watch for me. I never dress up anymore but I am getting a bit tired of all Divers, all the time. The 262KHZ movement sold under the Precisionist and 263KHZ names is not a tuning fork but it simply the most accurate movement outside the very rare and expensive thermo-controlled movement. It is accurate to within 3-4 seconds a year where regular quartz movements are rated at 3-4 seconds a month and mechanical movements to around 3-7 seconds a day. One feature the 262 has that is similar to the old Tuning Fork Accutrons is the smooth sweep of the second hand; no ticking. The old Accutrons were smoother but not by much.

Anyway, this one was a great deal through Amazon. I love the straight vintage looking lugs and solid link butterfly clasp on the bracelet.......simply excellent quality. The crystal has a slight dome to it and sticks a bit above the case to help with the vintage look. And nice for a dress watch is good lume on the hands. I bought an Orient Bambino 4 last week and I did not realize it had NO lume at all. Its not that I was going to take it snorkeling but a bit of help in a dim room is always welcome. Also the Bambino was just too big looking. They are around the same size as my 007 but since they have no bezel ring, the face is a lot larger and I dont like the look.........so I sold it within two days of getting it.

Bulova Telleride Accutron ll 262KHZ

20181001_162409.jpg 20181001_164031.jpg 20181001_164110.jpg 20181001_164129.jpg

It is my birthday this month and while I bought a few watches this year I decided to go back to one of my favorite brands; Bulova. I used to collect the original tuning fork Accutrons but I sold my last one some years ago. In 2014 when they introduced the Accutron lls I really wanted one but they were selling at full price and it was too much, especially it being at the tail end of my watch obsession. Fast forward to this month and the Accutron ll line is changing names so the lls are being sold a lot cheaper. I cant stand oversize watches and some of the A-lls were pretty big. But last week I found the one below. At 41mm it hits the sweet spot for a dress watch for me. I never dress up anymore but I am getting a bit tired of all Divers, all the time. The 262KHZ movement sold under the Precisionist and 263KHZ names is not a tuning fork but it simply the most accurate movement outside the very rare and expensive thermo-controlled movement. It is accurate to within 3-4 seconds a year where regular quartz movements are rated at 3-4 seconds a month and mechanical movements to around 3-7 seconds a day. One feature the 262 has that is similar to the old Tuning Fork Accutrons is the smooth sweep of the second hand; no ticking. The old Accutrons were smoother but not by much.

Anyway, this one was a great deal through Amazon. I love the straight vintage looking lugs and solid link butterfly clasp on the bracelet.......simply excellent quality. The crystal has a slight dome to it and sticks a bit above the case to help with the vintage look. And nice for a dress watch is good lume on the hands. I bought an Orient Bambino 4 last week and I did not realize it had NO lume at all. Its not that I was going to take it snorkeling but a bit of help in a dim room is always welcome. Also the Bambino was just too big looking. They are around the same size as my 007 but since they have no bezel ring, the face is a lot larger and I dont like the look.........so I sold it within two days of getting it.

Bulova Telleride Accutron ll 262KHZ

View attachment 1294793 View attachment 1294794 View attachment 1294795 View attachment 1294796

Introduce a battery to a watch and all of a sudden, it loses heritage, market position, and value. COSC cert is a joke compared to what your Bulova can do. Even the Superlative Chronometer standard in Rolex is good for only 2 spd. Old tech mechanical is one of those wondrous outcomes only possible in the watch world.

There is a Jaques Lemans watch at Savers for $59 appears to be a quartz Swiss Made.
Passed could have got it for $40. Not one of the nicer ones I saw on the net for sale.

There is a Jaques Lemans watch at Savers for $59 appears to be a quartz Swiss Made.
Passed could have got it for $40. Not one of the nicer ones I saw on the net for sale.

Most Swiss quartz movements are made by Ronda, which use Chinese parts and are assembled in Switzerland.

Back
Top Bottom