Sansui AU-X1 speaker relays.....

slimecity

Hi there Sansui Nerds

Has anyone replaced these in their X1? Is a current drop-in modern type available without any modification?

I have one channel with very slight distortion at low volume which goes away once the volume is increased a bit, suggesting relay issues IMO.

cheers!

Wow, that was a fast response time! I knew I had a picture of mine saved somewhere, finally found it and it looks like you got the right answer (you can make out the LY2 - 0 24VDC in the pic). Good luck, I hope the replacements solve your issue.

1HtAJfA.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious about the large resistors by the speaker relays - are they some sort of dummy load to improve output stability if the speakers are switched off?

What is their purpose?

are they some sort of dummy load to improve output stability if the speakers are switched off?
They are part of a 'Boucherot Cell' (sometimes called a 'Zobel Network') comprising one resistor and one capacitor (per channel) to damp high frequency oscillations at any time, but especially when the speakers are disconnected. :)

This arrangement is very common in audio amplifiers, and if an amplifier is unstable and oscillating (at a high frequency) those resistors can get extremely hot.

Last edited:
Sweet - thanks hyperion. I've seen zobels in amp output stages before but the resistors have so far not been this huge!

Back
Top Bottom