Sx-1050 - can I run dual CV D-9s?

MOEB74

I can't find an old thread I saved buy i don't remember if I can run dual sets of speakers on the SX-1050? They will be two pairs of CV D-9s... I would run them just k e set on A nd one set on B, then toggle both A and B on... Correct?

Yes but will be 4ish or little less ohms impedance with both running at same time.

I'd watch heat and i wouldnt crank it that way, esp if your SX is original and not refurbished.

My old DX-9's, a later run, were 4 ohm. That's a 2 ohm load with both engaged, right??

I wouldn't do it for any length of time, or at all. One pair of those big boys is enough.

Maybe get second amp for second pair. I had a 950 with 2 pair of speakers 6+8 ohm. It would get hot in a hurry with both sets engaged & much throttle.

I'd recommend hooking up a single pair then. Prolly sound better that way anyway.

Ive had D9's and fully grasp their crankability.

The 1050 won't drive them that well anyway. Those speaks respond well to big iron.

I'd recommend hooking up a single pair then. Prolly sound better that way anyway.

Ive had D9's and fully grasp their crankability.

The 1050 won't drive them that well anyway. Those speaks respond well to big iron.
What do recommend wattage wise? Something modern or not too old vintage, that wouldn't cost much

MODEL D-9

DESCRIPTION: 15” 3-WAY LOUDSPEAKER

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 29 Hz –20 kHz
POWER HANDLING: 5/350 Watts RMS Min/Max
SENSITIVITY: 101 dB (1 Watt @ 1 Meter)
IMPEDANCE: 4 Ohms
LF DRIVER: 15” Die-cast Frame / 2” Voice-Coil (152WR)
MF DRIVER (upper): 6” Cone (M-6 or CM-6)
MF DRIVER (lower): 6” Cone (M6-H or CMR-H)
HF DRIVER: 1” Voice-Coil Horn Tweeter (CS-5)
PROTECTION: Circuit Breaker (Tweeter)/Fuse (Overall)
LEVEL CONTROLS: Tweeter & Midrange
CROSSOVER POINTS: 500/3500 Hz.
DIMENSIONS: 35” X 18” X 17.75” ( H X W X D )

I can't find an old thread I saved buy i don't remember if I can run dual sets of speakers on the SX-1050? They will be two pairs of CV D-9s... I would run them just k e set on A nd one set on B, then toggle both A and B on... Correct?

I set my friend up with this exact setup at one point years ago. He bought both pairs of my D-9's from me but didn't have anything but a 90's mid-level Yamaha AVR to power them with. The SX-1050 I had actually had a broken pre-amp section, so we used the Yamaha AVR as a preamp and the SX-1050 as a dedicated amp since the amp section still worked. It worked, even when played loud, but the SX-1050 was indeed being pushed to it's limits. Especially with music that had lots of bass content, you would see the faceplate lights dim at loud volumes (very loud) as the amp was almost certainly soft-clipping, but the SX-1050 was a tank and put up with it for years of partying. I'm not saying that I recommend it, but it won't explode right away if you want to try. If you have the option of using multiple amps, as in, giving each pair of D-9's their own amp, you should certainly explore that.

When it comes to the impedance of the Cerwin-Vega D-9, the deal is that they are 8-ohm nominal, with a somewhat unusually low minimum impedance. Speaker impedance (ohms) isn't some simplistic singular value, rather, it varies across the frequency range of the speaker. For an "8 ohm" speaker, 8 ohms is just a nominal rating (basically an average). At certain frequencies it might be closer to 20 ohms and at other frequencies it might be closer to 5 ohms. That is why many speakers also list their minimum impedance and why that is also very important. For example, most of my JBLs are "8 ohm" speakers, but most don't have a minimum impedance that dips below ~5.7 ohms or so. The Cerwin-Vega D-9's are also "8 ohm" but their minimum impedance is closer to 4 ohms or so. That certainly does make things harder when powering multiple pairs, or even when using certain amps while bridged. They are still "8 ohm" speakers however, as despite the lower minimum impedance, they also have enough high-impedance peaks along the curve to keep the average closer to 8-ohms.

My old DX-9's, a later run, were 4 ohm. That's a 2 ohm load with both engaged, right??

I wouldn't do it for any length of time, or at all. One pair of those big boys is enough.

Yes, if yours are 4 ohm, 2 pair are 2 ohm. There's virtually no receiver built which does 2 ohm loads. If 8 ohm nominal and not reactive, 2 pairs could be driven.

Back
Top Bottom