Ravenswood Console

drumbum

Picked up a model 502 Ravenswood console. Works...with hum. Played record to test...working.

Separate amp section with telefunken tubes...not sure which though.

What to do, what to do?

Hmmmm

Please show pictures! Does the separate amp use ECL86 tubes?

I have the amp but no preamp - I have been looking for info about it.

For the hum, likely needs new filter caps. Does the hum appear on both channels and is it independent of the volume control?

For the hum, likely needs new filter caps. Does the hum appear on both channels and is it independent of the volume control?
Yeah, believe so on the hum.

These have come up as a subject of discussion a few times. You've probably heard the rumors of links to EH Scott, etc. I've seen pics of one of these before, and i seem to recall it appeared to be a well built unit, regardless of any possible affiliation to EH. If you have the complete console, I understand they are pretty rare so it may be worth keeping together.

Agree on most likely being filter caps though.

Tubes look to be ECL86/6gw8. Four of them. Push/pull config., correct?

Last edited:
Yessir. That’s what mine has, too. Each of those tubes has a triode and a power pentode in it.

I believe the power amp also powers the filaments of the preamp tubes, some with AC and the phono tubes with DC. I’d love to get some shots of the preamp when you get a chance, above and below deck.

We can guide you through the recap if you’d like.

For those interested.
Tubes on amp Telefunken 4x 6gw8/ecl86 and 1x 6ca4/ez81

Preamp tubes Telefunken
2x ecc81/12at7
1x ech81/6aj8
1x6ba6/ef93
2x shielded unknown: now known 12ax7a/7025 sonotube andecf80/6bl8 telefunken

and one Ratheon 6au6

How do you differentiate between type 1 6gw8 and type 3?
Three of these 6gw8 test good as type one, and one test bad, but tests good as type 3.

Will try to post pics later.

PS...this pre amp was a bear to get out because the volume knob had been glued on...sheesh

Speakers are 8" Jensen w/ceramic magnets and tweeters I assume are Jensen also w/AlNiCo.

Last edited:
need a schematic or at least internal pics. I'm guessing hum pot though.

what do you mean type 1 and type 3 6GW8 ? They are a two section tube, so there is a triode and a power pentode section to test. Both must be good for the tube to actually be good.

need a schematic or at least internal pics. I'm guessing hum pot though.

what do you mean type 1 and type 3 6GW8 ? They are a two section tube, so there is a triode and a power pentode section to test. Both must be good for the tube to actually be good.
I believe its a bias pot.

Gotcha on the 1 and 3. Not up to speed on tube stuff yet, (and grinding gears on SS)

All tubes on amp have tested good on my tc-20.;)

Back
Top Bottom