Bi-amp ADS L1290/2

oldsmobuick

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Can I run full-bandwidth to the woofers and just build a couple 350Hz dividers into a box to run the signal from the preamp to the high signal outputs? Like the attached pic?

Or do i low-pass the signal from the pre before sending to the woofers, or so i buy an outboard adjustable crossover instead of purpose-building?

Attachments

• 7B4E9E06-D9E5-4657-B319-A91F973158DC.png
    7B4E9E06-D9E5-4657-B319-A91F973158DC.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 24
I see now the xo is at 500Hz on the 1290. Also that the high/mid still runs through the internal crossover so it can take full range input at the terminals. So really what I need to do is low-pass at 500Hz to the terminals of the woofers. Can any decent low-pass passive device be used here? I know ADS made one that say in the back cavity but it’s scarce.

Couple options maybe? Do I need to match any resistance values?

Attachments

• B65C67D3-1395-4287-BD4F-54117FA8226D.png
    B65C67D3-1395-4287-BD4F-54117FA8226D.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 40A81563-6BD1-400E-B34C-3D2B465D28F6.png
    40A81563-6BD1-400E-B34C-3D2B465D28F6.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 8
Or I could use my spare XOs from a set of Klipsch Quartets. Those cross over the woofer at 650Hz.

ADS has always used the biamp posts different than most models of speakers. Most speakers simply split the internal crossover into two parts so that they are still in use when biamping at the posts. ADS eliminates the internal induction coil within the bass circuit and replaced them with active units in the C2000 or in the amplifier made for the 90 series line that you have.

There isn't anything wrong doing it the way you are looking at, and it is usually cheaper to approach it passively.

A couple of hours ago, I hooked up my second HCA-750A amp on the woofers. This is a horizontal bi-amp configuration, but my crossovers are hybrid active/passive. My mid-range domes and the dome tweeters are still affected by the passive xover. I can't change this, unless I un-wire the drivers from the crossover. And then I'd need a three-way active crossover and a third amp. The ADS crossover point between the woofers and the mid/tweets is 500Hz. Above 500, the original passive xover is still in use (redundant info). The woofers, however, can receive any frequency the Rolls sends to the woofer amp.
I guess I'm by-passing the electrolytic caps as well as the bass coil on the ADS crossover. I'm not sure about that.

Anyway....I'd definitely recommend the Rolls for a two-way OB system. It's not ideal for bi-amping the ADS L-1290s. My speakers sound quite different, sometimes in a positive way, sometimes in a funky way. I'll come back to this. I'm going to try vertical bi-amping, which was goal after all.

Vertical bi-amping, at least with my equipment, means a two channel amp will be dedicated to each speaker. One channel will drive the mid/tweet, the other channel will drive the woofers (2 woofers per speaker).

More later.

You'd almost have to wire each driver to it's own binding posts (both woofers could be on one set of posts).

Then use an active, three way cross over, like from pro audio. Three amps.

You'd almost have to wire each driver to it's own binding posts (both woofers could be on one set of posts).

Then use an active, three way cross over, like from pro audio. Three amps.
Wow, that thread is serious. Thanks for linking! Maybe I’ll just feed them more power like you did and be happy.

You may wonder why ADS designed them like this.

They had an external eq box designed for a different pair of speakers that allowed bi-amping using the internal x-over.

They were apparently going to follow suit for the L1290s, then didn't do it. The other box could be re-engineered, but I don't remember the model number, and it's rare.

Back
Top Bottom