Using an EQ with a turntable

Fuzzbuster

Addicted Member
Hi everyone. Fuzz here. I picked up an EQ on the cheap today and I'm having trouble hooking my table to it with good results. When I run the table into the tape input and back out to the phono input of my receiver, I get very low output. When I run into the line input of the EQ then back into the phono input of the receiver I get excessive hum. I even moved the tonearm ground to the EQ and it was worse. Is there a way to make this work or do I need an out board phono preamp?

Hi everyone. Fuzz here. I picked up an EQ on the cheap today and I'm having trouble hooking my table to it with good results. When I run the table into the tape input and back out to the phono input of my receiver, I get very low output. When I run into the line input of the EQ then back into the phono input of the receiver I get excessive hum. I even moved the tonearm ground to the EQ and it was worse. Is there a way to make this work or do I need an out board phono preamp?
Put the EQ into the tape loop, then play the table with the tape loop engaged.

Well first I guess we need to know the equipment involved, IE does the tt have a built in phono amp, the receiver a tape loop etc. More information is needed.

Connect the turntable to the phono input if the receiver. As a long as the turntable doesn't have a phono preamp built in. Then connect the EQ to your tape monitor on the receiver. Then use the tape monitor select to use the EQ. If your receiver has pre out and main in jacks you can put the EQ there.

Phono always goes into a phono input. although there are a few different types, your receiver has the right one for your phono. This is a higher gain input needed that has some eq for records to play right (RIAA equalization, if you want to look it up). All the rest of the inputs are high level and the above comment to use the external eq in the tape loop is correct.

Ok. The TT is a Technics SL-1700, the receiver is a NAD 7140. The receiver has both a tape loop and pre/main connections. I hooked the EQ into the tape loop and it made a good awful loud feedback. Of I go through the pre/main connections, does the record connection of the EQ go into the pre and monitor into the main or vice-versa? Thanks for the input...

The tt connects to the phono input as normal, the EQ should work with either the tape loop or the pre out/ main in. If it didn't work with the tape loop something was connected incorrectly.

The pre out connects to the input on the EQ, the output on the EQ connects to the main input on the receiver. With this setup the EQ is always in line, using the tape loop allows bypassing the EQ for a quick SQ comparison.

Ok. The TT is a Technics SL-1700, the receiver is a NAD 7140. The receiver has both a tape loop and pre/main connections. I hooked the EQ into the tape loop and it made a good awful loud feedback. Of I go through the pre/main connections, does the record connection of the EQ go into the pre and monitor into the main or vice-versa? Thanks for the input...
What is the EQ?

The tt connects to the phono input as normal, the EQ should work with either the tape loop or the pre out/ main in. If it didn't work with the tape loop it was connected incorrectly.

The pre out connects to the input on the EQ, the output on the EQ connects to the main input on the receiver. With this setup the EQ is always in line, using the tape loop allows bypassing the EQ for a quick SQ comparison.
So then I'm using the line in/out connections on the EQ and not the record/play?

So then I'm using the line in/out connections on the EQ and not the record/play?
Exactly! With either the tape loop or the pre/main, but again i prefer using the tape loop.

OK, looked at the EQ, use the line in/out into the receiver's tape loop. The other connections on the rear of the EQ are there to allow connecting tape equipment since you're using the set on the receiver for the EQ.

Last edited:
The tt connects to the phono input as normal, the EQ should work with either the tape loop or the pre out/ main in. If it didn't work with the tape loop something was connected incorrectly.

The EQ has an in/out switch for comparison.

The EQ has an in/out switch for comparison.
It's not the same.

Using the tape loop, once connected correctly, set all of the EQ controls to flat (no boost or cut), then using the receiver's tape function switch the EQ into and out of the circuit path. With the controls set to flat there should be no change, sadly I've never found this to be so and why I no longer use one. The soundstage was always affected, and never in a positive way. This is also why I moved my dbx sound expander along.

I find it more beneficial to deal with EQ issues with speaker placement, bass traps, etc.

I have the same EQ and Yamaha made really good stuff. I've had a bunch of other EQ's throughout the years that colored the sound and made the vinyl sound like crap. Since its over 30 years old I checked out the capacitors and they are all Nichicon and still in spec. They made stuff built to last in those days

I have the same EQ and Yamaha made really good stuff. I've had a bunch of other EQ's throughout the years that colored the sound and made the vinyl sound like crap. Since its over 30 years old I checked out the capacitors and they are all Nichicon and still in spec. They made stuff built to last in those days
Yes, I really like this EQ. It doesn't color the music, but does seem to give it some "space" for lack of a better word. It did exactly what I wanted .

Back
Top Bottom