One way wintage speakers can’t compete with modern ones: Wireless tweeters!

Cool! A tweeter with no wires! And it doesn't even need to enter the cabinet to be functional. What'll they think of next?

GeeDeeEmm

that's doin you dirty, that is!
It's totally reminiscent of the eighties when they'd install fake tweeters for aesthetics. it became totally endemic at one point,
shame on whomever the chinese conglomerate is that currently owns Logitech!

Whatever it is, it's quite passive.
Logitech gone white van:thumbsdown: or is that micro-kabuki?

Wow that’s as wild as a news story on a fish seller putting fake eyes on the dead fish.
Why have a fake tweeter?!!
Logitech mouse is nice but wow that’s junk!!:lurk:

As others have mentioned, it was rampant in the 80s. Fake tweeters in boomboxes, rack system speakers with non-removable grilles and 3 chrome rings shining behind the cloth to make you think it's a 3-way, and it's just a 5" full range in the bottom ring and nothing in the top two. Or a 12" chrome ring around a 6" woofer.

When I worked at the electronics recycler, I saw a bit of modern deception. It was a panasonic home theater subwoofer. It looked like an active 10" (or thereabouts) driver. It even moved when there was bass. But when you removed it, it was just a 10" cone and surround hovering over a 6" (or thereabouts) woofer. Wonder why they didn't just manufacture a 10" woofer using the 6" motor assembly and just make a bigger basket. You think that would have been cheaper and certainly less douchie.

Ha. Those remind me of Kenwood 4-way 6x9's back in the mid 80's where the outside tweeters weren't even tweeters.

Yes, it's a mini passive radiator. The buyer tunes response to taste by drilling the hole out according to the supplied chart on the back of the speaker.
Sometimes the chart is missing.

As others have mentioned, it was rampant in the 80s. Fake tweeters in boomboxes, rack system speakers with non-removable grilles and 3 chrome rings shining behind the cloth to make you think it's a 3-way, and it's just a 5" full range in the bottom ring and nothing in the top two. Or a 12" chrome ring around a 6" woofer.

When I worked at the electronics recycler, I saw a bit of modern deception. It was a panasonic home theater subwoofer. It looked like an active 10" (or thereabouts) driver. It even moved when there was bass. But when you removed it, it was just a 10" cone and surround hovering over a 6" (or thereabouts) woofer. Wonder why they didn't just manufacture a 10" woofer using the 6" motor assembly and just make a bigger basket. You think that would have been cheaper and certainly less douchie.
Sounds like how trash today’s cars are 2003 Corolla engine shot only drove it 3 years haha. It like burns oil up & overheats .
80s sure had a lot of gimmicks glad I wasn’t around to see America’s golden age . Today’s jobs pay much less on average sad times less money less audio equipment :(.
A lot of older systems lacked high rms & speakers were big but lacked deep bass. Only super high end or altec/high end brands were goodZ
What were first subwoofers like? They took ages to catch on:eek:
Bose subs were often fake multiple mids

Sounds like how trash today’s cars are 2003 Corolla engine shot only drove it 3 years haha. It like burns oil up & overheats .
This is way off topic, but:
  1. I'd hardly call a 15 year old car "today's"
  2. Modern cars are objectively much better (reliability, safety, economy) than they were even 10 years ago, let alone 20
  3. A single data point (i.e. your one failure) does not establish a trend. You need thousands of examples. Ask any statistician (or even anyone who's taken a basic statistics course)

Back
Top Bottom