Today's Experimental/Avant-garde/Noise Playlist

Continuing my listening theme for the day: Negativland - Thigmotactic (2008)

Kinda an odd album in the Negativland catalog, it was primarily the effort of Mark Hossler, and more song-oriented than Negativland's normal sound collages.
Some friends of mine (She Blinded Me With Boxcutters) recently were the opening act for Mr. Hossler for a show in Chattanooga, which is why I decided to give this a listen today.
Mark Hossler doesn't live too far away, so perhaps we can get him to do a show here in Johnson City TN, as we have a small but active noise music community here.

NegativlandPresentsThigmotactic.jpg

Grand Valley State University New Music Ensemble - In C Remixed (Terry Riley, composer) (2010)

2CD set with remixes by some interesting folks (Jack Dangers, Zoë Keating, Nico Muhly, etc.), concluding with a fairly short (20 minute) recording of the work, which was the raw material for the remixers.

http://www.in-c-remixed.com/

71vrxKBNsLL._SX425_.jpg

I also have a dual layer SACD of Reich's Music for 18 Musicians by the GVSU NME that I really like.

Current 93 - The Stars on their Horsies (2018)

I posted about this recent purchase over in the Death Folk playlist thread, but the more I listen to it, the more I realize it also fits in here.
This particular recording (one long 40 minute track) is much more in an Experimental/Dark Ambient vein than David Tibet's normal song-based work.

R-12014106-1535380450-2189.jpeg.jpg

cropp.jpg

experimental avant-garde in the new arrivals bins..

John Hassell/Brian Eno-Possible Musics. Eno-treated trumpet makes it otherworldly.
from discogs:
"World music term has been applied in so many contexts that it has no meaning. This record is speaks on lots of levels. It is a fabric of multiple patterns and textures. It is warm, haunting, and searching at the same time. Electronically processes instruments still have human feeling associated with them. Eno's ambient stuff can be more for a particular moment. This is more something that can be played regularly."

Harold Budd-The White Arcades

Skims the edges of new agey, but the treatments keep it interesting. There's actually a version on utube where somebody slowed the whole thing down 800 times and that's actually pretty cool as well.

Wyrd Visions-Half Eaten Guitar Starts off Medieval acoustic mantra music then gets kinda mystery alt-folk.
Pitchfork review

Last edited:
Scott Walker - And Who Shall Go to the Ball? And What Shall Go to the Ball? (2007)

Instrumental orchestral piece in four movements, written by Walker and commissioned by CandoCo, a 'physically integrated dance' group.

This thing was removed from discogs as a saleable item when it was listed as The Beatles White Album, but if you search by Rutherford Chang you can still find it for sale, though no longer for the original $25 or so the 800 pressings that were made sold for. The first side can be heard on his site, the rest will doubtless end up on utube at some point.
Mr Chang's sound-art version has had all the identifiable text of its source album crossed out, torn away or blotted out. And the music itself, while obviously the Beatles White Album, is a separate beast.

Back in the USSR gets off to a fairly synced start but surreal by the time twenty planes are taking off at its ending. Dear Prudence becomes trancelike, The less charitably coined 'Granny music' that John would call some of Paul's ditties , like Obla di Obla da, get refreshingly strange when layered 100 times, Lennon's I'm so tired and Harrison's While My Guitar.. get harrowing. Honey Pie a complete mess. Personally, having heard the original to the bone, this is a great way to get new listening life out of this album.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom