TEAC Reel to Reel cassette tapes - Why so expensive/collectible?

Sethbramwell

Just curious about this one. I found a rather short one (15 minutes record time) months back at a thrift store, disassembled it, and used the reels to make a little model reel to reel. Last week, I found two CRC-90 tapes at my Goodwill outlet with music recorded on them (one Earth, Wind, and Fire, One Stones) that sounded like they had been recorded from albums with surface noise. I paid 50 cents for the pair. Since I had learned they seem to flip for a fortune on eBay, I tried just that. The tapes are used and not with original cases or J-cards, and yet they are now nearly up to $40.00 with 3 days still to go.

Not that I'll complain about that, but why? I had assumed they were some super high quality tapes, but from what I've read (and heard) these are not great quality tapes. Nonetheless sealed ones can go for upwards of $100.00 apiece. Is it really just the "cool" factor of the miniature reels? I can't deny they look pretty, but I just don't get it.

They definitely have a visual pop - usually why you see one loaded in decks on those sites that sell vintage stereo equipment (visual pizzazz). Like adding fancy wheels to a car.

I have a stash myself, but they're very hard to find. One of my best thrift finds was 4 STILL SEALED Teac "Sound 52" open reel cassettes in various colors for like .50 each. Nothing fancy (just normal bias) but I nearly had a heart attack.

Good look and rare. That's why.

I had many and also sold many. Also have the exchangeable reel type, which is more expensive.

Last edited:
it simply joins the flipper parade of TOTL receivers, HPM/dynaco/JBL/CV speakers, hundred
copies of AJA with deadwax variations, APT preamps, …

but at 40-100 each used or butchered, I'd not tell anyone and start haunting the thrift stores.
at 2 per week, that could be 10 grand a year, enough for maintaining that other habit.

Heh, if only I could find 2 a week! I've only ever stumbled across 3 of them and one I turned into a model reel to reel. Good hunting, everyone...

Back
Top Bottom