Gear rack/stands

My freshly refurbished vintage metal office book case. Using it as a stand for my R2R. Orange and teal with burgundy interior. Camera makes the orange look red. Was going to keep it original with typical vintage office furniture grey, but decided to spice it up a little. 10.5" reels fit perfectly in it. Might make a wood top as the sheet metal has a little flex in it from the weight of the R2R.

TEACstand.jpg

Pangea Audio Vulcan in plain ol' black. Nothing fancy but it does the job. I did turn it "backwards" because I thought the flat back side looked better than the rounded off front. Need to get the extra shelf kit so I can put my tape player in there.

The speaker stands are NOS Paradigm from the mid 90s. They are surprisingly heavy and nice with metal carpet spikes. Again nothing fancy but really sturdy.

IMG_0114.jpg

Last edited:
Those little Ikea units KLH9 shows in #607 are quite good and very useful. I once used 4 to house my complete system. They can be stacked or adjacent. They're on casters for easy moving, even when carrying 2 50lb mono amps, with a 40lb turntable on top; plus they're rigid, with no wobble. They're open-backed for easy hook-up and cooling air flow. Shelves are height-adjustable in 1.5" steps, and can house a slim-line preamp with its matching monster power amp, with the right spacing.

I'd still be using them but I moved away from racks in general. My gear doesn't need to be centralized, and I now prefer to decentralize because it's less obtrusive.

Those little Ikea units KLH9 shows in #607 are quite good and very useful. I once used 4 to house my complete system. They can be stacked or adjacent. They're on casters for easy moving, even when carrying 2 50lb mono amps, with a 40lb turntable on top; plus they're rigid, with no wobble. They're open-backed for easy hook-up and cooling air flow. Shelves are height-adjustable in 1.5" steps, and can house a slim-line preamp with its matching monster power amp, with the right spacing.

I'd still be using them but I moved away from racks in general. My gear doesn't need to be centralized, and I now prefer to decentralize because it's less obtrusive.

What are those exactly? I need one.

IMG_20180924_101208.jpg
IMG_20180924_101341.jpg
IMG_20180924_102438.jpg

Shoot, I use a dresser as a stand. Currently my new system is on the floor in another room for testing. I'm in the process of going open baffle with some Betsys.

Found a new home for my gear. It was the right size had sliding doors the left door is glass to show the gear off and the right side is big enough to hold records and fit my reel to reel. Plus the silver accents go perfectly with the silver faced gear. Got an incredible deal for it weighs a ton though. I'll probably take some better pictures when I've got some daylight.

1E5493E7-065F-4DBB-A1A0-E65A91F92403.jpeg 95B0C3B7-24EB-49D6-A946-42DAF0396CAE.jpeg

Edit: a couple more pictures in better light.
IMG_1666.JPG IMG_1676.JPG

Last edited:
I am using 2 Sanus Euro racks. I found one on CL and bought one from BH photo. I have and extra shelf for one of the racks. A 4 shelf rack has a 400 lb capacity.

Attachments

• 9570352E-D0EA-4C44-BAB5-41C4CBEAB888.jpeg
    9570352E-D0EA-4C44-BAB5-41C4CBEAB888.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 795724DE-DAF9-4297-B63D-CA5395C6719A.jpeg
    795724DE-DAF9-4297-B63D-CA5395C6719A.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 133
Found a new home for my gear. It was the right size had sliding doors the left door is glass to show the gear off and the right side is big enough to hold records and fit my reel to reel. Plus the silver accents go perfectly with the silver faced gear. Got an incredible deal for it weighs a ton though. I'll probably take some better pictures when I've got some daylight.

View attachment 1294154 View attachment 1294155

Edit: a couple more pictures in better light.
View attachment 1294788 View attachment 1294789

What you need now are some nice speaker stands that get the tweeters at ear height when seated. Those speakers (Advents?) are not floor standers.

What you need now are some nice speaker stands that get the tweeters at ear height when seated. Those speakers (Advents?) are not floor standers.

KLH 17s actually but still a Henry Kloss design. Stands are an eventual plan but it's going to have to wait for more space and some stands I actually like that are stable enough. In the meantime I'm fairly happy with them as is. It's not the ideal but they sound pretty good as is. I really like these speakers more so than my Dynacos.

Back
Top Bottom