Stereo HT - Soundbar/base vs bookshelf vs vintage?

silentalibi

Hey guys! Brand new here, hope you don’t mind me posting.

Looking for some advice as I’ll be moving into a new place with a larger living room, thus upgrading our home theatre audio quality.

Audio wise, currently own:
  • Yamaha RXV379 receiver
  • 2x Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (to be replaced)
I wondered if you guys could suggest the best compromise of small scale and great sound for up to $500? For the speakers only, as I’ll probably stick to my Yamaha unless strongly dissuaded. Don’t need earth-shattering power as I don’t want to annoy the new neighbours up and downstairs, so needs to deliver decent performance at reasonable everyday levels.

I work in feature films (VFX) so movies and TV are very important, with music being second priority.

Definitely after a 2.1 solution - have been categorically told no surround sound by the wife, I.e no wires running around and no wall mounting. (trust me, this is set in stone and not a battle I want to die on). I’m still in trouble for getting the Wharfedale floorstanding “monstrosities”, so pretty sure I’m not allowed those kind again either ;p

I’ve tested the Canton DM55 soundbase that was so well reviewed, and was left pretty underwhelmed.

Considering the Q Acoustics 3020i or the Ruark Audio MR1 Mk2 small bookshelves. Are these any good, with a woofer? I’d have better chances getting spousal approval on bigger bookshelves if they were beautiful-looking, which is why I’m also considering vintage speakers such as the Dynaco A25 or Boston Acoustics A60.

Please help me out :)

Thank you!

Last edited:
You can go pretty small with the bookshelf speakers if you can add a subwoofer. You just need to find a way to hide it. Just tell her you really want something larger than the wharfdales...but can negotiate ;)

For under $500 you might do better to just add a decent sub, stick with everything else. If you have a bigger room, put the Wharfdales on stands for best positioning, listening height, etc. then play with sub positioning and crossover points to dial in best sound. I highly recommend SVS sealed sub for good movie rumble and highly accurate and tight music reproduction, they start around $300/400 I think. You would be amazed how much more you can get from the smaller speakers when bass duty is removed from them, and how much fuller and more enjoyable music is when the bass is tight, accurate and deep, and the higher frequency ranges rest comfortably on a stable, tight foundation of bass.

Plus, it would be a much better full setup than you could replace for similar money. Frankly, IMHO, if you’ve only listened to your Wharfdales without a sub, they will probably sound a lot better and louder with a properly set up sub and you may find new enthusiasm for them.

Is the little lady making you get rid of the Wharfedales? Also, she refers to them as floor-standing "monstrosities" but, the Diamond 10.1 is a bookshelf speaker. Did you possibly mistype the model?

Klipsch makes some small very efficient speakers that won't need a lot of power. T hey are good to just below 60 hz. Then later you can add a subwoofer if you feel its necessary.

06-IMG_1393.jpg

These have a very high WAF, also come in high gloss black or white. They retail for $1800, can be had within your budget from eBay flippers that scored some during a crazy Amazon sale. If you purchase a pair give them at least 100hrs of break in time before final judgement. Great bass for a speaker this size (rated to 40hz), seriously holographic imaging, huge soundstage. I have a pair in gloss black, purchased five pair for a quick few bucks but they were so awesome I kept a pair for myself. Believe me I did NOT need another pair of speakers lol.

Klipsch makes some small very efficient speakers that won't need a lot of power. T hey are good to just below 60 hz. Then later you can add a subwoofer if you feel its necessary.
Yeah and there usually affordable except some of there high end stuff . I use klipch icon & a pair of pioneer Andréw Jones as rears.
My diy sub alone was more then $600 tho.
A $500 sub would be comparable tho, dono if you can find a 15”, maybe have to get a 12”.
My low budget set up still cost. Decent amount tho .
You have good speakers tho maybe get some more of sameness brand? Later on get sub first .Best to have most of the same brand. For 5.1-7.1

Last edited:
I have the previous version of that AVR, I believe the listed power specs were for 6ohm, so it's actually a bit less than rated when using 8ohm speakers. So you'll want something higher sensitivity, or add a sub to take the load off the wharfedales. Did you post the model number correctly? Because the ones you posted are bookshelf speakers.

I just went through this and set up a very nice "ghetto" cobbled together 3.1 system
ADS l300- 100 bucks ebay
Boston acoustics center channel 75 bucks ebay
Yamhaa AVR from accessories for less 300-400
used subwoofer....

sounds great

If i could figure out how to wire to my back walls an unsightly mess id even add tow more...@#$%@#% the soundbar.

Although for the record, my inlaws have a sonos bar with sub, and its sounds good in its limited capacity...does not have much inner detail or nuance for me that you would get in a good 3.1 or 5 even used

Last edited:
Keep the Yamaha AVR for sure. And those Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's are decent speakers even for a larger room when helped out with a sub like this

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

and this matching center channel speaker

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/wharfedale-diamond-10cs-center-channel-speaker-ea

The center channel will easily fit on a shelf on most TV stands and is one of the most important speakers for any HT set up, Even Dolby Atmos. It makes the all important dialog much easier to hear and places it at the screen, Not floating in a stereo soundstage.

There may be sound bars that will sound better, But they can expensive. IMO your best bang for the $ is the traditional AVR and a decent HT speaker package like the Wharfdales. I might use a lower priced ($300 - $400) sound bar for a secondary TV like in my living room, But I like my AVR and DD 6.0 EX speaker package in the rec room for more serous watching.

Last edited:
I have some Dynaco A40XL speakers. Very good speakers. They're very smooth, polite and laid-back. Is that what you want?
I use them for house music, Not in the room music.

FWIW I am going to pick up a set of Q Acoustics 3020i when they come back in stock and will be using a sealed sub with them.

Coming from Snell EII speakers.

Also, she refers to them as floor-standing "monstrosities" but, the Diamond 10.1 is a bookshelf speaker. Did you possibly mistype the model?
Wonderiing that also. Not a floorstander. And if they were the 10.1, I'd be tempted to stick with those.

Beside my home theater, I have two tv’s with sound bars right now and both are much much better than tv speakers. My wife likes the fact that our living room in particular isn’t cluttered up with speakers like our basement home theater o_O (her words), but still has decent sound. On that LG bar, I like the fact that I can add wireless rears if I choose to improve it. She also loves the fact that she doesn’t need another remote to control sound unless she wants to adjust the sub level.

Beside my home theater, I have two tv’s with sound bars right now and both are much much better than tv speakers. My wife likes the fact that our living room in particular isn’t cluttered up with speakers like our basement home theater o_O (her words), but still has decent sound. On that LG bar, I like the fact that I can add wireless rears if I choose to improve it. She also loves the fact that she doesn’t need another remote to control sound unless she wants to adjust the sub level.
That is more or less exactly what I'd be looking for. No clutter, no wires, no additional means needed to operate it. And I've seen that wireless option for the surround speakers, although I realize they still need to be plugged in so they are powered.

This is correct, rears still need to be powered so not truely wireless. My LG sound bar really sounds quite decent at all volume levels and is soooo simple and clean. I’ve heard them with the rears and they make quite a noticeable difference (in a good way). AND the rear level and sub level are adjustable on the remote! Huge plus at $400 for the 4.1 system. My Polk soundbar 3000 is a bit older and require using its remote. Bass is better than the LG sub and at moderate volume level, sound is quite decent. But but the sound bar quality goes down fast as you near max.

If the OP ever returns, this might be the route to go LOL

Back
Top Bottom