Tell Us Something That Happened To You That Made You Feel Very Old.

...the fact that my cardiologist (the fact I have a cardiologist is probably not good) shakes my hand and says I did A+ on
my echo and stress test...and then, oh by the way, you need a new right hip! :confused: Not a true "diagnosis," but spoken by
a young-runner who has had two done :oops: I haven't been that hard on my body and I am wearing out already?

When one of my granddaughters at the age of fourteen first saw this, one of my pride and joys, she said, "What is it?"

P1030334.JPG

I told her it was a 300lb iPod.

Then she got it.

...the fact that my cardiologist (the fact I have a cardiologist is probably not good) shakes my hand and says I did A+ on
my echo and stress test...and then, oh by the way, you need a new right hip! :confused: Not a true "diagnosis," but spoken by
a young-runner who has had two done :oops: I haven't been that hard on my body and I am wearing out already?
Having a CAT scan and sonography done at the VA yesterday for age related stufffff.

at one time, I was the fastest guy in my swim training group, up until my late 50s. at that point, I got super tired of swimming and reverted to my 80s sport of bike racing, which soon became racing on the velodrome (see pic on left). at age 60,I trained up well enough to compete successfully in open intermediates. super high speeds, close neck and neck racing, I loved it like I never loved a sport before, until I fell and cracked up my shoulder and ribs in a high speed pileup. it was gruesome, all healed up, I went back to the pool, and after a few years had to accept that age had done something to me I couldn't out train-- i'd gotten old.

Being called "Sir". I'm 63 but everybody thinks I'm in my 40's. I've found that acting in an immature fashion confuses folks. I've found that I can injure myself just by sleeping. I USED TO be able to eat spicy and hot foods every night of the week. Not any more. Maybe 2-3 times now. My knees are starting to give me trouble too. I drive a 5 speed, and every time I push in the clutch my knee pops. Stop n Go traffic is a MF!

When I ask where a pay phone would be the reply is "you can find one at Walmart". When your at a yard sale and you tell the guy "I'll give you a fin for that", he reply's "I can't take a fish for that record.

I was offered a senior discount without asking. I told the checker I'm not old enough yet. She insisted I take the disco. Oh dear.

at one time, I was the fastest guy in my swim training group, up until my late 50s. at that point, I got super tired of swimming and reverted to my 80s sport of bike racing, which soon became racing on the velodrome (see pic on left). at age 60,I trained up well enough to compete successfully in open intermediates. super high speeds, close neck and neck racing, I loved it like I never loved a sport before, until I fell and cracked up my shoulder and ribs in a high speed pileup. it was gruesome, all healed up, I went back to the pool, and after a few years had to accept that age had done something to me I couldn't out train-- i'd gotten old.

Do you still ride? I had a nasty accident back in 2004. I ride, but nearly as much as I used to.

The cashier at The Circle C gives me the discount at least twice a week.

I told her I was only 54, but she does it anyway.

Comes a time I have to stop arguing. It's easier to know 'when' in the real world.

the crash happened in Oct 2014. I cont'd to ride once able to, and even tried some velodrome races, but couldn't overcome the traumatic recall of the crash, which was a 35mph+ all hell bent for leather sprint for the win-- I was unable to tuck up inside packs, which can be can be very challenging on fixed gear bikes with no brakes. so I gave up the 'drome and just rode for another year, but could not see the point in if not racing. so I jumped back in the pool and began the slow, ongoing adaptation to being in the water again after 5 years out. I thought after a year or so, i'd be back to where I was, give or take percentage points, but in fact i'm much slower than I would be even if i'd never left the pool. the cause? age....

I ride only for pleasure, I need the excercise for sure. I look like a circus bear on a bicycle.
It's jogging sitting down. Once my butt is conditioned to the seat for the riding season, what's not to like about that?

Maybe she thinks you're cute?
Always surprises me how many women like older guys.

But then I'm constantly surprised that there are any women that like men at all.
Nah, she's up there in the years and a little goofy.

The high school girls that work there are intrigued by me, until they find out how old I am. Then they're mortified.

That makes me feel old.

Back
Top Bottom