Schiit LOKI/ Thoughts????

trinhsman

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have considered getting a Schiit LOKI. I know it's not really a DAC, more of an equalizer. I emailed Schiit, but no response. Wondered if any of you have any experience with this.

Fantastic little product, that Loki. I have one, and it's unobtrusive, attractive and efficient. You can daisy chain it in your system with or w/o a DAC, and with or w/o a headphone amp. It can really help to not only tame a room, but tame some bright (or dull) sound sources.

I have considered getting a Schiit LOKI. I know it's not really a DAC, more of an equalizer. I emailed Schiit, but no response. Wondered if any of you have any experience with this.

Looking at your gear I'm not sure why you would need one?

Eric

Looking at your gear I'm not sure why you would need one?

Eric
I know what you are saying, but I have reached a point where I now notice lousy recordings. These are albums and CD’s I used to enjoy. Just wondering if the Loki would give some boosts to get the sound better on the lousy recordings. It’s mostly for bass on albums that now lack bass. I know my gear will give bass on the right recordings, since it can be really strong on some stuff. My main concern is the lack of quality of components in such an inexpensive piece of gear and how it would work in my set up. Schiit ignored my questions, so I’m thinking it might not be a good idea.

I know what you are saying, but I have reached a point where I now notice lousy recordings. These are albums and CD’s I used to enjoy. Just wondering if the Loki would give some boosts to get the sound better on the lousy recordings. It’s mostly for bass on albums that now lack bass. I know my gear will give bass on the right recordings, since it can be really strong on some stuff. My main concern is the lack of quality of components in such an inexpensive piece of gear and how it would work in my set up. Schiit ignored my questions, so I’m thinking it might not be a good idea.

The curse of good gear.

There's a reason we loved our lo-fi gear haha.

In your case, I wouldn't add more component's to the chain.

Accept what it is and try to find better recordings if possible of the same material.
I have the same issues with some older records that were either poorly done originally or just worn at this point. Usually a trip to Tidal produces a better source.

Alternatively, set up a vintage less revealing second system for fun.(And poor sources). It's all about the music in the end man. How it makes you feel.

Eric

The curse of good gear.

There's a reason we loved our lo-fi gear haha.

In your case, I wouldn't add more component's to the chain.

Accept what it is and try to find better recordings if possible of the same material.
I have the same issues with some older records that were either poorly done originally or just worn at this point. Usually a trip to Tidal produces a better source.

Alternatively, set up a vintage less revealing second system for fun.(And poor sources). It's all about the music in the end man. How it makes you feel.

Eric
And the curse of being old school. I don’t have a streamer or DAC to try Tidal. I have Pandora on my OPPO, and it sounds pretty good. I also have a vintage basement system that I love. Marantz 2275 fully restored, AR XA with all the Marc Morin mods and Grado Sonata 1 cartridge, and Snell E II Speakers fully modded with Audio Note drivers and AK member Gordonw reworked crossovers. That system is really nice, but the room is nice dimensioned too.

And the curse of being old school. I don’t have a streamer or DAC to try Tidal. I have Pandora on my OPPO, and it sounds pretty good. I also have a vintage basement system that I love. Marantz 2275 fully restored, AR XA with all the Marc Morin mods and Grado Sonata 1 cartridge, and Snell E II Speakers fully modded with Audio Note drivers and AK member Gordonw reworked crossovers. That system is really nice, but the room is nice dimensioned too.

Your Oppo has USB input right? So just plug in a computer and there's your streamer :)

Eric

I can't see how a small $149 device would be a hurdle if one wants to improve bad sounding recordings. Heck, guys have stacks of old $149 receivers sitting in their garages. There are a lot of poorly mastered CD's that could use a little cut around 3000 or so.

If you have a lot of poorly recorded selections and your system is resolving enough for you to hear how bad they are, I say, do whatever is necessary to bring sonic bliss. If that means acquiring an equalizer or a Schiit Loki I'd go for the Loki. IMO/E equalizers work best when used in a set and forget mode for adjusting in room response of the system. The four controls on the Loki lend themselves to easily correcting for poor recordings.

One of the Loki's controls is centered on 2K.

I know customer service doesn't mean a lot to a lot of people, but that would drive me away.

I definitely, gravitate towards the businesses that give me quick answers to questions, Aperion Audio and JDS Labs replied to recent emails in a matter of minutes and earned my business based largely on that. But that being said it would also depend on what the email asked. Granted any business should be able to answer with something but I'm willing to give companies a bit of a pass without knowing the length and nature of the email.

I think the loki used to be a dac and now is a straight EQ. Correct me if I wrong.

I do not have a Loki, but I can say without any debate that YES, a Loki is an absolute necessity that I don't have. I have a lot of pre-recorded R2R tapes and these things have a bias range wider the great plains. Led Zeppelin II is flat as a board and definitely would benefit from more high-end on the loki. It's on my Christmas list.

I see the Loki as the cherry on top of my system. When you order a hot fudge sundae and they ask you if you want a cherry, you say yes. Even if you don't want the cherry, of course you order the cherry. Changes the sundae into a modular design.

I have one. Don't use it. I like it. Just don't really need another piece of gear in the chain. Fun to fool around with it. I have it boxed up with the rest of my lower-end Schiit stuff - Modi2 MB, Vali 2, Magni 3, Eitr.

Another way to go for inexpensive is get a chrome cast hook up to your oppo and get tidal on your phone or tablet/computer and stream that way , get tidal HiFi if you do get it . Also to note that in order to listen to Tidal masters you have to have your computer hooked up to your oppo .

Audiofreak71

What did you ask them in the EMAIL?
Asked them if it would work well with my system. Told them the system I had. Told them why I wanted it, to help with poor recordings.....................CRICKETS.
Might be a small company at their headquarters and the person that looks at emails could be lazy, if they have enough business as it is. Audible Illusions can be like that lots of times too.

Back
Top Bottom